Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:24 PM

16,695 posts, read 17,466,448 times

Advertisements

I've done one or two lovely road trips round the US over the years and there are many more that I'd like to do.

Imagine you can pick up the vehicle of your choice and hit the road for a couple of weeks or so.

What would you choose to drive and what would the route be?

I'm looking forward to hearing the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,066,084 times
Good thread.

I've done a lot of roadtripping throughout the US including 2 XC trips.

I'd like to do a couple regional/specialty trips soon:

1) For a guy trip...a driving tour of horse racetracks in the midwest (Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Arkansas). Any nice sporty sedan would be nice. American please.

2) I'd like to do the Pacific Coast again, from LA up to Vancouver. Take the whole family and do it in maybe a Ford Flex or something.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,480,496 times
Assuming everything like gas and maintenance/repairs are paid for:

A cross country road trip to find the best driving road in each country in Europe, with time for some autobahn as well

The vehicle would be the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
U.S. loop across the Northern route, down one coast, back across the Southern route, up the other coast. Nice size SUV so we can see the scenery. Then a three month vacation on an island beach to recuperate.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,165,844 times
Heck, if someone else is footing the bill, I'd do it in comfort and luxury: a Maybach Exelero ($8M)

Old 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,238,168 times
I have done straight lines and loops across the US coast to coast but I have not really explored the central-northern states or the Rockies region. I also would like to make it up to Alaska, PNW and other regions of Canadian frontier.

What I really wanted to do was roadtrip down to Cape Horn in my diesel... stopping for grease at checkpoints along the way. However there is an "impassable" jungle in Panama I believe which would require ferrying. The logistics are a bit daunting and I do not really have much interest in traversing Mexico... wish I could skip right over that rat hole. However it shall remain on the bucket list.

My choice of vehicle would be a large, heavy, RWD sedan of the reliable variety or my 6BT Cummins grease burner with a bed camper.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,148,929 times
This summer we are leaving out of Southern Texas and heading up to Salt Lake City. Not sure of the exact route yet - probably go the SW corner of Colorado so as to hit Durango, etc. Then after a good amount of time in SLC, we will be heading over to Anaheim, CA to do Disneyland for a bit. Once we leave there, we will be heading back to Texas via the Grand Canyon, so will see Arizona and New Mexico and West Texas. All in all, about a 4,000 mile round trip and we will be gone around 6 weeks (hubby will be back and forth when he gets time off of work). It will be done in a 2012 Nissan Quest minivan. Not my first choice if I could choose anything - but that's what I drive, and it will have plenty of stuff in it to keep the kids entertained.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,301,757 times
I'd head west in an Old School full-size Jeep Waggoneer and do a back country tour through the ghost towns and mining camps in the mountains, probably sleep out a lot and pan for some gold along the way. I've actually wanted to do this for years, just haven't had the time or the funds. Or the Waggoneer.

Second choice would be cruising to the Southwest in a one-ton dually pickup (make doesn't really matter, but I'm partial do Dodge) and a 4-car trailer in search of some rust-free vintage automobiles.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times
There are only about 60 counties that my wife has not been in, so I guess we might as well go to those. They are all west of the Rockies, and could be done in 2-3 weeks. The vehicle of choice would be a Midi-van like a Toyota Sienna, that we could outfit to sleep in comfortably and cook out on the road, and get tolerable gas mileage.

The route would basically be Northern Arizona, Central California, a few in western Oregon and Washington, a lot in SE Washington, a few in central Oregon, all of Nevada and most of central and south Utah. It can be done in about 5,000 miles, Arizona to the Colorado line. I think I figured 8,000 starting and ending in South Texas. Might do it this year.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,276,212 times
Give me an Ferrari F430 Scuderia Spider or a Porsche Carrera GT and I would just cruse the Country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive