Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times

Advertisements

This explains a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:38 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP just turned 18, hasn't graduated from high school yet, is high on testosterone and trying to impress the girls. Common sense and life experiences haven't even started yet. Who cares if the parents have bad credit, they would have to be out of the picture since OP can't use their credit history or help. Op is basically on his own and that in itself at 18 is hard enough to survive.
Title loans are for clear titles only, not for financing, and will cost up to 450% APR. At 18 and not out of high school and working only part time I doubt any legitimate financial institution will give him a second look. Especially in todays economic market.
Corvettes are not cheap to maintain no matter what year. Teenage car insurance will be astronomical and if OP is working and still in school probably at Mc-D's or some other entry level job. No loan institute will take on this loan.
OP, sit down with a financial advisor and go over all these details and then you'll see what you're really in for. Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Contact a Credit Union. If you have a full-time job, you might be able to talk them into it.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
I didn't read past page 1 but please tell me this isn't real?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalk2013 View Post
I can afford it, I have a job and am able to make the payments and maintenance. Do any of you just happen to have $12,000 lying around to get a car? If so, congrats, but like many others when buying a car - a loan is necessary. It's just that due to my parents being financially irresponsible in the past, prohibits them of helping me out in a lot of ways. My parents both have jobs and a steady income, it's just that lenders see "bankruptcy" on their credit history and don't want any part of it. People go through bankruptcy for all sorts of reasons, my parents had a rough financial time from after 9/11 to 2010.
You have the chance in your hand to break the cycle. Don't blow it!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:55 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
I hope the young man was wise enough to digest all the wisdom given to him in the responses.

To the OP,

You have your entire life ahead of you, you're only 18. The fancy toys will come with time, just be patient.

Corvette's are not cheap to maintain, especially the older ones where things just start to age and go wrong regardless of how many miles are on the vehicle. Pricey things are electrical components and body panels. C4 tires shouldn't be that expensive but you're not going to get a tire for $100.

If you really want a sporty car, get something newer, maybe a 4th Gen Trans Am or Camaro.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Corvettes can be a tough car to handle and in poor driving conditions are a great way to die.
It's a car for those with some serious driving experience under their belts, literally.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 22,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I gave you an option for financing, even though I said it was a bad idea.

I can understand the draw to have a hot sports car at a young age, I was the same way. However, for the few kids that do end up with one, it almost never ends well. For instance, you'll be required to get full coverage insurance, which will not be cheap. And, if you wreck the car, you'll have to pay the deductible, and then you'll be really surprised to find that the insurance company won't give you enough money to cover the loan, because the car isn't worth that much. So then you'll be carless, and working to pay off a car that you long since wrecked.

It's not a good position to be in.

I am currently driving a black 1995 camaro. It had 140k miles on it when I got it, and now it has 147K miles on it. I am feeling like the car is coming close to it's end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You mean, you couldn't find the answers you wanted through your own research. So, somehow, you ended up making an account on a relocation website.

Actually... how did you end up here to begin with? I just googled "auto finance question" and "can I afford this car", and city-data.com didn't show up ANYWHERE in the search results.

Is this another one of those "seed" posts that we always get when things are slow? They're out of control on this site. It's probably some guy named "Peggy" posting from Uzbekistan for a nickel per thread. Next try, "Interracial atheist lesbian couple with children moving to Pocatello, ID and looking for a diverse walkable neighborhood near Whole Foods and Nordstroms".

I was doing a google search about loan information, and the automotive forum came up. I'm not making any money off this, although that would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Your 18, an adult, start acting like one and stop relying on or blaming your parents.

were not saying you can't afford it because you can't slap down the 12k. in cash for it.

So you have a job, who says you can make the payments with what you earn?
you?,
Take step back.

Do you have the down payment? yes- no?
What are your monthly expenses,(they will change when you move out of momy's & daddy's basement and years from now your expences will just go up.
None is not an exceptionable answer, your lender will ask.

What will the insurance cost for a 18ye old on a Corvette?
Remember it will be full coverage until the loan is payed off.

Sorry to say but you don't have your ducks in a row nor do you know what ducks should be in that row, but your learning fast.

a lot of folks have over 12k in the bank,

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my parents. We had to foreclose our house and downgrade to a apartment after the bankruptcy. If I was able to get the car, my father would be listed as the primary driver, and I would be listed as driver on the insurance... most likely listed under driving his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
This HAS to be a joke.

If it's NOT a joke, and you'd like to talk seriously, send me a PM. I'll be happy to visit with you.

Not a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
also, a few more questions, that hopefully won't go unanswered as this could give you some guidance.

Why do you want to go through all this effort for a 1995 corvette?
What draws you to want this car so much?
What kind of job do you have now?
Do you have any plans of going to college?
Do you know that after you graduate high school driving a 1995 corvette does not help with picking up girls ?

I'll let you in on a little bit of information. You are 18. Which means that you have been driving (by yourself) for a maximum of 2 years. You are not that good of a driver, no matter how great you think you are. If you are buying the corvette because you want to go fast, well there's a couple issues with your logic. Legally, you shouldn't be. Illegally, you're going to get in some serious trouble. You can go faster than you need to with a 1995 dodge intrepid and get lots of speeding tickets. I know this. When you're young there are things that you just don't interpret. Also, if you do anything legal that necessitates you in having a corvette, those things aren't covered by your insurance, or just about any insurance for that matter. So if you crash when at the drag strip, bye bye car, and then you still have to pay on the loan because the insurance isn't writing you a check.

If you live in an area where it snows, that car will be useless.

Now, to be way more realistic, instead of buying a corvette for 12k(which is actually over blue book price, in perfect condition for that amount of miles) you could buy a newer cheaper car. And don't even say they have too many miles. Anything i'd say... 2003 and newer will have absolutely no problem of doing 150k miles if you do the proper maintenance. If you are buying it because you want to go fast, you can buy a car that has aftermarket support. Then you get a cheaper car, cheaper insurance, and then you can still make it go fast. AND to top it all off, it's you that made it go fast. not chevy. Also, when modifying your car, you learn A LOT about it. You know how so much more stuff on the car works than you would if you just bought it to go fast. I bought a 2005 scion tc in 2009. it cost 10k out the door. it got good gas mileage, wasn't fast, looked good (to me), had fairly cheap insurance, had a backseat, etc. By the time that I was done with, it would beat that corvette you want to buy in any metric of racing. Drag racing, auto-x, or road racing. It also would be more reliable, and cheaper to fix. Parts for a car from 1995 aren't always easy to find.

Moral to the story, if the dealership can't get you to a loan to the car, it isn't going to happen. They do everything they can to get a loan. They won't make any money off you if they can't get you to buy it.
I have been in love with corvettes ever since I was 4 years old. I've always wanted one, and still do. It's been an absolute dream to own one. The history, the mechanics of it, the architecture.. I just love all corvettes. Yes, I have plans to major in biology in the fall at a private college, with hopes of moving on to med school afterwards. I am currently a lifeguard, however I plan to work at a warehouse this summer operating a forklift which will pay significantly more than a lifeguarding position.

I do not care about picking up girls. This car would be for me... I don't think it would make me any cooler, I don't necessarily care about the speed. I've just always loved corvettes, and have always been drawn to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
twalk2013

cowincedence?maybe.. maybe not...

TWALK - Home

Event Information

TWALK Overview

TWALK is a twenty-four hour orienteering event. It is split in to five legs, each around 15-20 kilometres long. Each leg has around 10 - 20 controls, which will be hidden on features marked on the map and described by a cryptic clue.

I wonder if the op is in the pic?
lol

a vett would really help with the orientation.

I am not affiliated with whatever that run is, and I am not in that picture.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 22,001 times
I am forgetting about the corvette, and looking to get a newer camaro or possibly a mustang since I can only get a car loan for a car 2005 and newer up to $25k.

I am sorry my naivety has intruded your forum, but it's stuff like this I need to ask other people.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
What do your parents think about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive