Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM

359 posts, read 782,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
One wonders why you are asking this question if you can afford this car to begin with.
So true.

With all due respect, I have come to the conclusion that
1) OP cannot afford the car
2) OP is hell bent upon getting a 20 yr old corvette and thinks its a steal with low miles
3) OP is gonna get the said corvette, by hook or by crook, and pay ass tonnes of interest on it.

A fool and his money (or no money).....
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 22,095 times
I can afford it, I have a job and am able to make the payments and maintenance. Do any of you just happen to have $12,000 lying around to get a car? If so, congrats, but like many others when buying a car - a loan is necessary. It's just that due to my parents being financially irresponsible in the past, prohibits them of helping me out in a lot of ways. My parents both have jobs and a steady income, it's just that lenders see "bankruptcy" on their credit history and don't want any part of it. People go through bankruptcy for all sorts of reasons, my parents had a rough financial time from after 9/11 to 2010.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,154,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalk2013 View Post
I can afford it, it's just that I cannot get approved of a loan.
If you could afford it, you wouldn't need a loan. 12k is not much money for a car. This is not the type of car you should be looking for. Buying new rear tires alone I'm guessing will be a huge financial dent for you.

However... if the other people and myself can't convince you this is a bad idea, then give these guys a try.

https://www.jjbest.com/default.aspx?Source=10504

They specialize in classic and collector car financing, many of which can obviously be much older than 1995. Not sure they'd even bother screwing with a 95 Corvette, but you can find out.

Good luck, methinks you'll need it.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I can afford it, I have a job and am able to make the payments and maintenance. Do any of you just happen to have $12,000 lying around to get a car? If so, congrats, but like many others when buying a car - a loan is necessary. It's just that due to my parents being financially irresponsible in the past, prohibits them of helping me out in a lot of ways. My parents both have jobs and a steady income, it's just that lenders see "bankruptcy" on their credit history and don't want any part of it. People go through bankruptcy for all sorts of reasons, my parents had a rough financial time from after 9/11 to 2010.
here's the thing sonny:

If you have a job, then you can save up a few months and buy something cheaper - reasonable (to help you commute) while you keep saving up to buy the corvette..

Now if you cant save enough in a few months to buy a $12k dilapidated 20 yr old corvette, then you , me dear, have no business of buying the said corvette.

Clearly you are not understanding what everybody is directing you to. that 12k corvette will cost you $20k in high interest loans.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,731,257 times
Quote:
People go through bankruptcy for all sorts of reasons...
Very true.

Quote:
It's just that due to my parents being financially irresponsible in the past, prohibits them of helping me out in a lot of ways.
Consider the apple/tree theory, and how it might apply to your present situation.

Last edited by 43north87west; 04-17-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Very true.

Consider the apple not falling far from the tree theory, and how it might apply to your present situation.
reading the thread, the apple/tree situation had already applied to OP, when he posted this thread..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
reading the thread, the apple/tree situation had already applied to OP, when he posted this thread..
Ok well I want to thank you all for making me feel like I am an imbecile. I am 18 years old and haven't even graduated high school yet. I am new to all this loan/finances/etc stuff and I have to learn somehow and somewhere considering my parents aren't exactly the best people to ask. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,333,064 times
Quote:
Do you need a car, or do you need a 1995 Corvette for $12,000? Because if you need a car there are a lot of other options. I'm driving a 1990 Dodge pickup that I paid $800 for 10 years ago. Not very pretty but it gets me where I need to go.

For what it's worth, I really don't care to drive a beat-up 23-year-old truck. I do it because when I was your age I thought just like you do and now I'm paying for it.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,333,064 times
Quote:
Ok well I want to thank you all for making me feel like I am an imbecile. I am 18 years old and haven't even graduated high school yet. I am new to all this loan/finances/etc stuff and I have to learn somehow and somewhere considering my parents aren't exactly the best people to ask. Thanks anyway.
And you've gotten good advice here. But you're pissed off because nobody has told you what you wanted to hear.

Welcome to the real world.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
And you've gotten good advice here. But you're pissed off because nobody has told you what you wanted to hear.

Welcome to the real world.
I'm well aware of always being told something I don't want to hear. However the comment about the "OP not falling far from the tree" made me upset. This thread was a simple inquiry question because I could not find the answers I wanted through my own research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive