Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 AM

8,548 posts, read 10,967,143 times

Advertisements

I have heard so much talk lately on different automobile forums I belong to, about using a clay bar to get a remarkable finish on vehicles, that I decided I would finally get around to doing the Tbird.
Most, if not all caly bars come with a kit, and just getting the clay bar by itself is impossible.
I have numerous Meguiars products on hand so I didn't need all the stuff packed with the kit.
So, today I tried an experiment, and the results speak for themselves.
For those of you who have used clay bars, you know what they do.
I had a thought last night while sitting in my jacuzzi.
This is where I do most of my thinking.
Any way, the thought of plumber's putty came to mind, and it is almost identical to a clay bar.
I decided today to try a little spot on the bird, and after that one spot, I did all the flat areas of the car, and tomorrow I will finish the sides of the car.
I used it exactly as one would use the clay bar, and as I said, the results speak for themselves.
It is every bit as good as the clay bar, and a lot less money.
This picture is representative of how the rest of the car will look when done with the plumber's putty.
The shine is deep, and that is without any wax yet.
Once the job is finished, then the car will get a coat of wax.
Sure beats spending $22.00 for that clay bar kit.
Good ole plumber's putty is good for more than just sealing joints in plumbing.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,994 times
Thanks for sharing your idea. It is a great idea and I will be using it before I wax the car next time.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Told my wife many times - let's get hot tub. Nothing eroses man's thinking better, than spending some quality time in hot bubblying water.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,023 times
Great idea, I will give it a try this summer!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,039,116 times
Screw the clay bar - I want your T-Bird!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 AM

The only little problem I found with the plumber's putty was that It didn't hold it's shape very long, and I had to frequently reshape it to palm size.
Other than that, it worked great.
Bob.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The only little problem I found with the plumber's putty was that It didn't hold it's shape very long, and I had to frequently reshape it to palm size.
Bob.
So all those times you've railed against clay, and told everyone else your car didn't need it, wouldn't benefit from it...I guess you're eating those words now?

I still don't think you know what the point of claying a car is, but that's for another post.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
So all those times you've railed against clay, and told everyone else your car didn't need it, wouldn't benefit from it...I guess you're eating those words now?

I still don't think you know what the point of claying a car is, but that's for another post.
I knew all along what the purpose of claying a car was, but didn't think my bird needed it.
Obviously in spite of how it looked before, this claying has made it look even better.
Bob.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bob.

Freeze it?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
I try to clay and wax the car a few times/year. The only reason I typically don't is how time consuming things can be, and finding time to get out of the house, away from the kiddo and wife, are rare at best. And I typically don't like staying up in the garage for a few hours just so I can make the car pretty...I guess old age is getting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive