Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 AM

9,604 posts, read 31,866,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
After I did the Tbird, I said one day I would do my pickup truck.
I had a little time today(not much) so I did one fender to see how it would look when finished.
One thing for sure, you will never see me buying a clay bar when Plumber's putty made it every bit as good as a clay bar.

Bob.
Looks great, Bob . . . thanks for sharing.

BTW . . . once you finish your truck you are welcome to come over here and do mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 03:32 PM

24,581 posts, read 33,508,357 times
Quote:
Took a lot of time, but the finished product is shown.

Click thumb for larger picture.

Bob.
Car looks great. I never get tired of seeing photos of it. Post them as often as you want!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM

259 posts, read 439,799 times
Tried this and yes, it works well. Breaks up a little more than a clay bar, but all in all the car looks great.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,247,972 times
If there are a lot of contaminants on the car finish, claying the car can certainly help with the shine.
Won't comment on the effectiveness of plumber putty since I have never used it on a car's finish and probably won't ever use it. As someone already mentioned, it would be silly to try to save a couple of bucks and risk ruining the paint.

However, word of caution for those risk takers. Clay comes in different grades of aggressiveness. There is the fine, medium and heavy grade. On soft paint, if the clay is too aggressive and/or too aggressively applied, it can leave micro marring. I wonder on the level of abrasiveness of the plumber's putty.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,166,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
If there are a lot of contaminants on the car finish, claying the car can certainly help with the shine.
Won't comment on the effectiveness of plumber putty since I have never used it on a car's finish and probably won't ever use it. As someone already mentioned, it would be silly to try to save a couple of bucks and risk ruining the paint.

However, word of caution for those risk takers. Clay comes in different grades of aggressiveness. There is the fine, medium and heavy grade. On soft paint, if the clay is too aggressive and/or too aggressively applied, it can leave micro marring. I wonder on the level of abrasiveness of the plumber's putty.

Judging from the picture of the fender on my pickup, that mirror like reflection tells me plumber's putty is not overly abrasive where it leaves any sort of marring.
What it did do however, is leave a smooth as glass finish.
Bob.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,247,972 times
Quote:
Judging from the picture of the fender on my pickup, that mirror like reflection tells me plumber's putty is not overly abrasive where it leaves any sort of marring.
What it did do however, is leave a smooth as glass finish.
Bob.
Not necessarily... you could easily have hard paint.

If it worked for you, that's great but someone on the forums could have something like a black Honda which are generally known for soft paint.

Like I said.... I don't know the aggressiveness of the plumber putty to comment one way or the other except to say that if it is aggressive, it can leave marring on soft paint... or even semi soft paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive