Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,379,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Fleet, that photo is amazing, but I have to tell you - that's a moving couch, not a car!
Lol. Yes, it is! I miss moving couches in cars. Now it's more like park benches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,462,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Lol. Yes, it is! I miss moving couches in cars. Now it's more like park benches.

I'm not even certain my couch is as big as that front seat. lol

Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm not even certain my couch is as big as that front seat. lol
Yes, maybe it's not!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM

392 posts, read 1,555,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I felt like my head area was being pushed forward and stressing my upper back. Strange I have not had low back pain in this car. Knock on wood.
What's your driving position like? Does it feel like you're having to reach for the steering wheel or hold your arms up?

With my car, the seat incline makes a big difference. Having it too vertical or too far back both cause shoulder and neck pain because it affects the way I reach for the steering wheel. It has to be just right.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM

24,455 posts, read 23,143,190 times
If you have a Kia Soul base model, I don't believe they have a center arm rest so that is most likely the cause of the OP's discomfort. Kia Soul's are said to have an upright seating position so that also might be the problem. You might be able to have a center arm rest installed.
A center arm rest is a must and I'd try to get one for back seat passengers as well. Same goes for a comfortable door sill. I ride with my left arm against the window resting on the door sill which is fabric. If its plastic... forget it.
A little thought and careful consideration on ergonomics by auto manufacturers goes a long way. Things like armrests, cupholders, storage and visor placement make a big impression on the potential car buyer.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM

9,544 posts, read 16,570,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
What's your driving position like? Does it feel like you're having to reach for the steering wheel or hold your arms up?

With my car, the seat incline makes a big difference. Having it too vertical or too far back both cause shoulder and neck pain because it affects the way I reach for the steering wheel. It has to be just right.

I have the seat adjusted so I am not stretching to reach the steering wheel. I've tried the seat and steering wheel adjustment every way it will adjust. I guess its just a new feel for me in this car and I have to get use to it.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM

9,544 posts, read 16,570,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If you have a Kia Soul base model, I don't believe they have a center arm rest so that is most likely the cause of the OP's discomfort. Kia Soul's are said to have an upright seating position so that also might be the problem. You might be able to have a center arm rest installed.
A center arm rest is a must and I'd try to get one for back seat passengers as well. Same goes for a comfortable door sill. I ride with my left arm against the window resting on the door sill which is fabric. If its plastic... forget it.
A little thought and careful consideration on ergonomics by auto manufacturers goes a long way. Things like armrests, cupholders, storage and visor placement make a big impression on the potential car buyer.

I agree I think at least part of this problem stems from the lack of a center console armrest. I had one in my previous vehicle, and I'm missing that feature in this car. It's amazing the options on a car we miss when we don't have them. The one's we never think about. Like a center armrest. Where would I get a center armrest installed? Do you have any idea?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,064,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree I think at least part of this problem stems from the lack of a center console armrest. I had one in my previous vehicle, and I'm missing that feature in this car. It's amazing the options on a car we miss when we don't have them. The one's we never think about. Like a center armrest. Where would I get a center armrest installed? Do you have any idea?
Kia offers an armrest as a dealer installed accessory. See your dealer.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,281,767 times
There are times when there is no much you can do to improve the car seats other than replacing them. Sometimes cushions and things like that help, too.

Back in 2009 I bought a Subaru Forester, and for some reason my wife would be suffering from backaches after riding or driving it over 30 minutes. She would place a small cushion on the seat by her lower back, and that would help a little. Anyway, I didn't have a lot of trouble with the seat's but since I bought this car for her and she didn't want to drive it, I ended up trading it for a 2010 Rav 4. She loves this one

The OP should first try some cushions or something that offers lumbar support. ??

Old 03-30-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There are times when there is no much you can do to improve the car seats other than replacing them. Sometimes cushions and things like that help, too.

Back in 2009 I bought a Subaru Forester, and for some reason my wife would be suffering from backaches after riding or driving it over 30 minutes. She would place a small cushion on the seat by her lower back, and that would help a little. Anyway, I didn't have a lot of trouble with the seat's but since I bought this car for her and she didn't want to drive it, I ended up trading it for a 2010 Rav 4. She loves this one

The OP should first try some cushions or something that offers lumbar support. ??
The same thing happened to my aunt.

She had back pain shortly after starting to drive her Honda wagon, I think a late-'70s. She mentioned it to her doctor and he asked what car she was driving. When she told him, he said, "that is why you have back pain!"

Before that car, she drove a '68 Cadillac Sedan de Ville and had no back problems at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive