Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,506,803 times

Advertisements

When I first started driving, I used to just wait there until the person who had the right of way took their right of way and moved along. I thought it was too dangerous esp if they changed their mind.

For example:

1) 4-way stop sign, the person arrived there first wants me to go but I wait for them to go. Sometimes, after 10 or so seconds, the guy behind them (or behind me) starts honking and they realize they're supposed to go.

2) Left turn on green, the oncoming person stops and waits for me to go but I wait for them to move. Many times the car behind them gets pissed and honks for them to go.

Nowadays, if I see someone give up their right of way to me, I'll slow down a little and honk at them as a warning.. if they don't move, then I'll proceed anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,089,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
It would be, if us Americans saw roundabouts enough to know how they actually worked. Or maybe it's just the moron NY drivers who think the "yield" sign at the entrance to the roundabout means "They yield to me."
Come on over to MA during tourist season. I used to navigate the Cape Cod rotary like a boss! But, wow, are people bad at rotaries!

I've seen people:
- Stop at the yield sign, extremely hesitant to enter the rotary. If I'm directly behind them, I'll usually go around which probably scares them even more. Or lay on the horn.
- Stop IN the rotary. I've seen this a few times, coming to a complete stop to read the signs. You have to either lay on the horn or drive around (while laying on the horn).
- Go the wrong direction in the rotary! I've only seen this once, but it's scary how clueless some people can be. At least most people were smart enough to stop and let the dumbass go (of course they didn't pass up the opportunity to make sure their horns were in proper working condition).

I would be very interested to see a statistic on horn usage. Something tells me Massachusetts drivers would be very close to NYC drivers in overall time spent on the horn.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,630,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Come on over to MA during tourist season. I used to navigate the Cape Cod rotary like a boss! But, wow, are people bad at rotaries!

I've seen people:
- Stop at the yield sign, extremely hesitant to enter the rotary. If I'm directly behind them, I'll usually go around which probably scares them even more. Or lay on the horn.
- Stop IN the rotary. I've seen this a few times, coming to a complete stop to read the signs. You have to either lay on the horn or drive around (while laying on the horn).
- Go the wrong direction in the rotary! I've only seen this once, but it's scary how clueless some people can be. At least most people were smart enough to stop and let the dumbass go (of course they didn't pass up the opportunity to make sure their horns were in proper working condition).

I would be very interested to see a statistic on horn usage. Something tells me Massachusetts drivers would be very close to NYC drivers in overall time spent on the horn.
Oh come on, do we really have to get into yet another New York versus Boston thing? Stopping at the yield sign is nothing compared to NOT STOPPING, especially with that car coming that's already in the roundabout.

And how about people who miss their turn out of the roundabout....and...wait for it...BACK UP?

I'll never forget this one idiot so-called "professional driver" in a lime who had about 10 even more idiot teenagers that he was apparently driving to the airport, and actually BROKE DOWN in the roundabout. Do they push the car out of it? Of course not! Instead they all mill around blocking the roundabout completely looking like a brainless peacock, which was probably giving them way too much credit in the brains department.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 584 times
Default Traffic light is needed

A Traffice light is needed at the intersection of 147th Street and 41st Avenue in Flushing, NY. There is a four way stop sign but the drivers to not stop for predestains crossing the street! or cars on the road. Some family member will suffer a great loss. And I don't want it to be me, nor my daughter!

Last edited by Holly Whitdield; 02-20-2017 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,185,995 times
Quote:
I guess this is an odd thing to complain about, but lately I've been noticing a lot of people willfully giving up their right-of-way.

Examples:
1 - I'm on a side street, wanting to make a left turn on to a main road. A car coming from my right wants to make a left turn on to the side street I'm on. They have the right-of-way and should make the turn. Instead, they, stop and let a number of cars turn on to the main road.

2 - Entering a highway on-ramp, I have the yield sign. I slow down to let the other car go, but they come to a near stop and wave me on.

I shouldn't complain about people trying to be courteous, but does anyone else think doing this really disrupts traffic? Based on the rules of the road, I have certain expectations on what someone else is going to do (for example, I don't expect someone to come to a stop at a green light). But when people do this, it creates uncertainty and hesitation. Anyone ever get into a game of chicken with both people waving the other to go?
Yes, you should. While it is a nice thing to do, it is also dangerous and caused confusion and maybe accidents when people who get annoyed do unpredictable things (yes, that would be their fault, but the initial "act of kindness" will be a contributing factor.

When someone tries to "help" me with such kindness, I stay put, and flag them on. Hopefully they will get the message that they are interfering with correct traffic flow.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 PM

787 posts, read 646,827 times
Quote:
I guess this is an odd thing to complain about, but lately I've been noticing a lot of people willfully giving up their right-of-way.

Examples:
1 - I'm on a side street, wanting to make a left turn on to a main road. A car coming from my right wants to make a left turn on to the side street I'm on. They have the right-of-way and should make the turn. Instead, they, stop and let a number of cars turn on to the main road.

2 - Entering a highway on-ramp, I have the yield sign. I slow down to let the other car go, but they come to a near stop and wave me on.

I shouldn't complain about people trying to be courteous, but does anyone else think doing this really disrupts traffic? Based on the rules of the road, I have certain expectations on what someone else is going to do (for example, I don't expect someone to come to a stop at a green light). But when people do this, it creates uncertainty and hesitation. Anyone ever get into a game of chicken with both people waving the other to go?
The right of way should be followed generally to maintain flow of traffic, but there are times when I will yield to the rest of the intersection if there is no car behind me, and if you get waved on, GO!! Hesitating only makes it worse. I may be waiting for my GPS to respond in a low coverage area, so I can continue my route, among other things.

What REALLY sets me off is the morons who steal your turn because you can't go through because of a car or pedestrian still in the way. WAIT YOUR TURN YOU IDIOT.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 PM

572 posts, read 436,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Oh come on, do we really have to get into yet another New York versus Boston thing? Stopping at the yield sign is nothing compared to NOT STOPPING, especially with that car coming that's already in the roundabout.

And how about people who miss their turn out of the roundabout....and...wait for it...BACK UP?

I'll never forget this one idiot so-called "professional driver" in a lime who had about 10 even more idiot teenagers that he was apparently driving to the airport, and actually BROKE DOWN in the roundabout. Do they push the car out of it? Of course not! Instead they all mill around blocking the roundabout completely looking like a brainless peacock, which was probably giving them way too much credit in the brains department.
You're on to something: People from somewhere else can't drive.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,870,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
The right of way should be followed generally to maintain flow of traffic, but there are times when I will yield to the rest of the intersection if there is no car behind me, and if you get waved on, GO!! Hesitating only makes it worse. I may be waiting for my GPS to respond in a low coverage area, so I can continue my route, among other things.

What REALLY sets me off is the morons who steal your turn because you can't go through because of a car or pedestrian still in the way. WAIT YOUR TURN YOU IDIOT.
When they wave me into possible danger, I ain't going.

What is wrong with a car going when you can't. The first part of your post has you concerned about traffic flow, but the laser part you are not interested in flow. Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive