Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Yeah it sucks that all these old guys (no offense to old guys out there ) are so obsessed with the mainstreams.....like the Mustangs, 30's-40's Fords, and the 55-57 Chevy's, it's so annoying. I get so sick and tired every time I hit up a classic car show, and the majority of the cars are typical Muscles, and hot rods. Hardly any classic luxury makes show up, or are on display, which is sad because the luxury cars typically had the best styling, were the best in quality, the biggest and most impressive cars to look at during those times. Not everybody is looking for speed, and great handling, but a smooth comfortable ride with a lot of space to move around in, and a car that actually stands out from the crowed with magnificent styling.
as one who could now carry an aarp card if i so chose lol, growing up and having (with friends as well) muscle & classic cars, i'd say we tend to go with what we had and loved. Now if i see a clean anything from the 60's or 70's i will appreciate it, but if i see something i or my buds had back in the day, well those just catch the attention that much quicker.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I remember the 1969 Chrysler Newport tested by CR's was a noisebox. Tho I am a Mopar fan, i personally thought that year's Newport looked atrocious and ill-fitting. Does anyone remember the 69 Newport?
We had a fuselage-style Newport when I was a kid but it was a little later model, 1972 I think. It was a great car. I don't recall it being noisy at all, but if the '69 did have issues they probably would have corrected them by then.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I'd say my favorite luxury ride for 69 would def be a 69 Lincoln Continental in all black, they look ultra gangster. A 69 Cadillac, minus the interior, is a very very close second, I do love the front end of the 69-70 Cadillac's though, one of the best ever grills IMO for a Caddy.
Yes, I also like the '69 Cadillac a lot. As you mentioned, a great grille. I also like the taillights. Someone once said, it looks like a ruby set in a diamond (a red taillight above the white back-up lights).

I do like the interior of the '69 very much. Thick, soft and plush leather seats (they became thinner and firmer on the '71; on the Fleetwood Brougham, anyway). The real rosewood trim the easy-to-read speedometer.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,722 times
Fleet, you need to post on MT more often! Something I've always wondered, though, is how quiet are these cars compared to something like a Chrysler 300 or Lincoln MKS?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Fleet, you need to post on MT more often! Something I've always wondered, though, is how quiet are these cars compared to something like a Chrysler 300 or Lincoln MKS?
MT? Motor Trend? I do post there sometimes. Not too much because most of the posts are about modern cars.

My '69 Fleetwood is very quiet. In fact, even with aftermarket dual exhaust, it's still quiet. It is kind of loud at full-throttle because I flipped over the air cleaner lid.

I don't if it's quieter than a Chrysler 300 or a Lincoln MKS but it's quiet enough for me.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
MT? Motor Trend? I do post there sometimes. Not too much because most of the posts are about modern cars.

My '69 Fleetwood is very quiet. In fact, even with aftermarket dual exhaust, it's still quiet. It is kind of loud at full-throttle because I flipped over the air cleaner lid.

I don't if it's quieter than a Chrysler 300 or a Lincoln MKS but it's quiet enough for me.
Yea, Motor Trend. I'm TaurusSHO (currently Jetstar 88). This is a pretty neat website! Good to hear that it's quiet, that's something I've always wondered about old luxury cars. One less worry when I decide to get one!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Yea, Motor Trend. I'm TaurusSHO (currently Jetstar 88). This is a pretty neat website! Good to hear that it's quiet, that's something I've always wondered about old luxury cars. One less worry when I decide to get one!
TaurusSHO? Yes, I think I've seen your posts there. It is an active website, true.

No, Cadillac would not make a noisy luxury car! So don't worry about a '69 being loud, unless there is a hole in the muffler. Actually, they (old Cadillacs) usually have a muffler and a resonator to keep the car extra quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive