Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times

Advertisements

does anyone know of a good product for gluing a rear view mirror back on to a windshield. we have tried 6 different products and everyone of them the mirror fell off within a few minutes to an hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
All I've ever used is the cheap crap you can pick up at any auto parts store, and I've never had one fall off.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
I've used Permatex several times with no problem, except that the last time I tried the windshield split from top to bottom.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
does anyone know of a good product for gluing a rear view mirror back on to a windshield. we have tried 6 different products and everyone of them the mirror fell off within a few minutes to an hour
I've had the same problem. Eventually I took it to a local auto-glass shop and they glued it up for 10 bucks. No more problem.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
crap from the parts store always worked for me, Only had to use it twice, each on a different car. If it keeps falling off, I would imagine you are not following the directions correctly.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,985 times
Any parts store crap i used fell off the next summer when the car got hot again. You are best off calling an automotive glass company and asking how much to glue it back on.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM

774 posts, read 2,602,751 times
Getting this stuff to work correct required that you follow the directions. I've had to replace a few over the years all in different cars. After I learned my mistake I never had one fall off again.

Buy the glue. NOT the silicone based stuff as it takes forever to cure.

Scrape off all of the old glue from the window and the little metal thing. Soak the metal thing in solvent if necessary.

Clean the window and the little thing with a good glass cleaner. When you think it's clean do it again for good measure.

Next use rubbing alcohol to clean the spot on the window and little metal thing. DO not handle the little metal thing again after this cleaning without some kind of gloves to keep your grimy paws off it..

Apply the activator to the back of the metal part and to the spot on the windshield and let it DRY.

Apply the glue to the metal thing and let it sit for about 2 mins to tack up.

Now Place it against the window. Push firmly and hold for about two minutes.

Let it set and dry for at LEAST 24 hours. It needs to cure. Drying and curing are two different things. Longer is better.

Reattach the mirror. It should never come down again.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
Most mirrors fall off because the glass surface wasn't properly prepped before attaching the mirror. You have to get all the haze off of it before the glue will stick. Go to your local autoparts store and buy the stuff that is designed for attaching rear view mirrors, nothing else.

I suggest wearing some latex gloves while doing this. That way, you can make sure you use plenty of glue, and if it overruns, it will just attach to the glove and the glove will tear. You can always scrape off any excess glue from the glass if need be.

I've done 2-3 in my life, in the Texas and FL heat, and none of them ever fell down again.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
As DELL37 said, you're not gluing the mirror to the windshield, you're gluing the bracket - then hang the mirror to the bracket 24 hours later.

Can't tell you how many people I've seen over the years that tried to mount their mirror to the glass.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
All good replies. I've used whatever they sell at Walmart/Autozone/O'Reilly's dozens of times with good results.

Your problem is probably either surface prep, surface temp too high or low at time of applications, or you're attaching the mirror to the button too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive