Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:42 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,505,598 times

Advertisements

OK these days everyday we see a new thread about drivers in left lane so here goes mine:

Right lane going say at 65MPH (speed limit). Left lane is going at 70MPH. Both lanes are driving smoothly but are full as it's close to rush hour scenario. Everyone is driving nice and easy and everyone has like 3 cars distance in front. Here comes this guy who tailgates you in left lane - now where these tailgater think they are going to go? Because if I try hard and move over to right lane this guy cannot go anywhere as the lane is full and there is nowhere to go really. The only difference is tailgater will be in front of me but he or she will have to drive at 70MPH so what's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,765,774 times
Its a big puzzle that one needs to solve in order to get ahead of the slow drivers. I speed, but I do not tailgate, I do not cut people off, and I do use blinkers. There is always some yahoo at the front of the pack causing the flow of traffic to be only 65 or 67 when there is clearly no one in front of them but they choose to go the speed they want in order to keep the flow of traffic moving at the speed they want.

What a feeling it is to break free from the pack and be the only one on the road until of course you hit the next pack of cars. I like to find my way to the front but do not do it aggressively and only make my move when I have the chance. I like to get where I am going and if I get pulled over for speeding so be it, its the chance I take. I am a good driver in my opinion, I pay attention to my surroundings, i know the limits of my car in the conditions on the road. I am not afraid to drive.

9 out of 10 times traffic in the fast lane only going 70mph is the cause of someone in the front only allowing it to go that fast. I want to move ahead.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM

19,064 posts, read 27,635,592 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...les-drive.html

don't we have enough of this? Get Germans, they will stick cameras on every corner that will fine any ars hole that drives in the left lane, causing to be passed on the right.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,239,920 times
The point of starting yet another left lane driver thread rather than commenting on one of the 90454986573948659385 existing threads is...?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,014,576 times
My morning and evening commute involves a stretch of about 22 miles on I-95 here in Virginia. This is some of the worst traffic in the country, though some nights are much worse than others. Even when traffic is flowing smoothly here, the left lane is not necessarily the fastest lane. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's the middle lane. It's hard to figure out. I usually get all the way to the left lane regardless of which one is moving the fastest. This way I have at least one side of me that I am not surrounded by crazy drivers. Usually drivers here will be boxed in, so all I have to do is keep up with the car in front of me at a safe distance. And many times keeping up with the car in front of me is as simple as putting it in neutral and coasting...right up to the moment we all come to a stop. Here in Virginia, there is no such thing as the "fast lane!"

Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM

337 posts, read 897,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
OK these days everyday we see a new thread about drivers in left lane so here goes mine:

Right lane going say at 65MPH (speed limit). Left lane is going at 70MPH. Both lanes are driving smoothly but are full as it's close to rush hour scenario. Everyone is driving nice and easy and everyone has like 3 cars distance in front. Here comes this guy who tailgates you in left lane - now where these tailgater think they are going to go? Because if I try hard and move over to right lane this guy cannot go anywhere as the lane is full and there is nowhere to go really. The only difference is tailgater will be in front of me but he or she will have to drive at 70MPH so what's the point?
Tailgaters do nothing but cause accidents and congestion by hitting their brakes so often. If I was a cop I'd make a killing ticketing all those idiots riding my ass on the freeway. I keep at least a 4 second following distance no matter what road I'm on... and I expect other drivers to do the same to me. I physically turn around and shoo drivers off my ass if they don't give me at least 3 seconds of following distance.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,505,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...les-drive.html

don't we have enough of this? Get Germans, they will stick cameras on every corner that will fine any ars hole that drives in the left lane, causing to be passed on the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The point of starting yet another left lane driver thread rather than commenting on one of the 90454986573948659385 existing threads is...?
This is not I am saying. I don't care about someone who is half mile away and going at 70MPH in the left lane. I am discussing about me and the guy who wants me to be out so that he can be in front of me and then drive at 70.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
For those that read the Op's question, this has nothing to do with an empty left hand lane. I see the same thing in my area and we have 3 lanes to choose from. The road can be full of cars in all 3 lanes and some hot shot is trying to get past everyone on the road riding your tail end like that will make the other 500 cars in front of you go any faster. I love to drive faster than I should but when their is no place for my car to go how the heck am I supposed to go any faster. At some point people need to realize that the race is over and nothing you do to fix that will get the track speed to increase.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM

43,702 posts, read 44,455,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post

Your point is well taken. But tailgaters are usually more aggressive drivers and want to go faster and think that anyone not going as fast they think is appropriate should move over to the right lane.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,642,049 times
There is no point. There is nothing you can do so just ignore them and keep a safe distance with the car in front of you. I like to turn on my hazard signals to tell the driver behind me to back off. Using the brakes is not a good idea because you can not predict how the tailgater or anyone else behind you will react. He or she may react too slow or not at all. Ultimately you may cause a unnecessary disruption with the entire lane and create a possible pileup.

If you can move over, that is great. Let the tailgater figure out that they can not go anyway and it's no longer your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive