Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,942,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
SCIENCE HOBBYIST: Traffic Waves, physics for bored commuters

It's not rocket science but I highly doubt I'll shorten my commute substantially if driven by a desperation to get ahead of everyone else on the road.

Don't mean to go off topic a bit but I also notice this a bit on online forums in general (not just this one.) People who go on for pages to "win" the argument. Myself, if the other person is clearly not getting it after a few back and forths, I'll just end with a "I rest my case" and grab a beer.
That could be danagerous. As much midless argument as we somteimes see here, you could end up an alcoholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,116,466 times
The easiest way to relieve stress during your drive is to learn not to give a flying **** about what a car BEHIND you is doing. Who cares? Flip up your mirror, crank up your tunes, and just IGNORE him.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,775,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
The easiest way to relieve stress during your drive is to learn not to give a flying **** about what a car BEHIND you is doing. Who cares? Flip up your mirror, crank up your tunes, and just IGNORE him.
Its amazing we have to share the road with idiots like this. You my friend are the cause of road rage, traffic jams and accidents. You should care.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,505,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Exactly. The best stress relief on the road is to simply move at the speed of traffic and not give a damn.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Its amazing we have to share the road with idiots like this. You my friend are the cause of road rage, traffic jams and accidents. You should care.
No. The people who have road rage are personally responsible for that road rage and their lack of ability to control their temper in trying circumstances. Not the other cars on the road around them no matter what they do, not their Mommy, not their teachers, not their wife or husband - them. No one else, period.

Even thinking that it's possible that there's an acceptable excuse for that just because things don't go their way on the roadways is insane.

Traffic jams and accidents, you might, maybe, have a point. Road rage, no. Just like nobody else makes you speed, either. You make the choice, you're responsible for your own actions and the consequences of them. It's not the other people on the road driving your car, it's you.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,775,461 times
I agree but there would be no road rage I feel if people just respected each other on the roadway. Drivers that dont show respect to those around them are basically saying F*** you and theres nothing you can do to stop me. Its kind of like throwing a punch. Road rage is just a reaction to that punch. Yes, you do have to be the bigger person in those situations but lets face it without those situations there would be no road rage to even discuss.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Yes, I agree that drivers should not have that attitude, whether they're driving slow OR speeding and expecting everyone else to get out of their way (same attitude, wouldn't you say?).

And, no, road rage is not just a reaction to that. Road rage is someone who feels that the world owes them, that anyone who does something to annoy them deserves to be injured or killed and that they are justified in doing so. Saying that road rage is just a reaction is the equivalent to saying, "Well, they made him mad by doing X and therefore murder is just a reaction to that" when the same thing happens off the roadways and someone doesn't fix their husband's dinner just right, say, and if she'd just done it the RIGHT way he wouldn't have been FORCED to murder her.

There is NO justification for road rage. It's a character flaw in the person raging, pure and simple.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
I used to be a speeder who would get angry at people doing 65 in the left lane clogging up traffic.

Now I'm older, I have 2 kids, and I'm doing 65..only it's always in the right lane. I am not the self appointed traffic police, and neither are any of you. If somebody wants to drive like that, put your little ego aside and move out of the way.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Well, I always do move over, once it's safe to do so (already raised my two kids, and drive 75 when it's the limit), if I should happen to be in the left lane at all, which is rare.

However, it's fun to see all these people who think the speed limit doesn't apply to them trying to pretend that they aren't the initial cause of the problem and that it's THE LAW that everyone get out of their way so that they can speed. Guess they don't like that people can see them for what they really are, and say so.

Speaking of little egos.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 269,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I used to be a speeder who would get angry at people doing 65 in the left lane clogging up traffic.

Now I'm older, I have 2 kids, and I'm doing 65..only it's always in the right lane. I am not the self appointed traffic police, and neither are any of you. If somebody wants to drive like that, put your little ego aside and move out of the way.
65?...I see that occasionally in the fast lane, and those people should move over, but not because someone is aggresive and feels as if they control the car in front of them. On more occasions I see people doing 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit and there always has to be some idiot behind them who tailgates as if they think being a road bully is going to move someone. One day they will run into the wrong person out there for being aggresive like that. If someone is already going 5-10 mph over the speed limit, it's not thier job to move over for a reckless speeder behind them. Tailgating is always wrong by law, going slower than a tailgater is not unless it is under the minimum speed limit. I move over all the time when I notice someone behind me going faster, but if they are catching up really really fast without giving me the amount of time to get over in a safe manner for me and people in the lane next to me and they start riding my butt, then I will not respect that person and make them go around because they are just control freaks out to endanger everybody. No need to ever be 2 feet behind another car's rear regardless of what anger or impatience you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive