Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be imported?
Yes, sell it now 4 15.38%
I'm not bothered 14 53.85%
Keep it away from US shores 8 30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM

768 posts, read 881,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Well parallel importing is illegal so maybe the gov'mint needs to change that. Plus there's room for a new, improved Trailblazer. It's a bit more "rugged" than the Equinox (a fine vehicle) and would find a niche.

On the other hand, the safety standards should probably be changed. The US is unique in that we require vehicles to provide some degree of protection for those not wearing seat belts. The rest of the world don't, and yet they still have similarly low death rates. 85 percent of Americans buckle up now.
What is with that?

You have re-importation bans on drugs too.

For a supposed free market country, america has some of the most totalitarian trade laws in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,662,784 times
safety standards and emission standards also affect alot.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,895,083 times
Emissions standards are a pretty huge reasons for a lot of the differences between US and non-US models. It's taken a long time to get to a point with technology where you weren't making huge tradeoffs in the fuel economy vs. low emissions continuum.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,630,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
safety standards and emission standards also affect alot.
Just engine and exhaust system. That's the reason certain engines don't make it over here, but generally the manufacturer has had at least one of their engines designed to work in the US, so it's just a matter of adapting it to that vehicle.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM

929 posts, read 2,729,091 times
Default Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
American cars suck. Maybe if they made good American cars that were also stylish, like the european cars. Then I would buy American. Currently all they do is steal our tax money with massive multi-billion dollar government bailouts to make more crappy cars. They're not going to get my tax money AND my paycheck. (not talking about the good high-end american cars which are rare and few).
All European cars are horrible. People buy them just to show off, but we all don't give a crap.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM

562 posts, read 991,359 times
I've bought two vehicles from Ford and I've largely regretted it. Not only has the fuel economy been garbage (which is true of almost all American cars) but they've been incredibly unreliable. I'm not ruling out American vehicles but I am almost only looking at Honda and Toyota for my next purchase.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,703,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
All European cars are horrible. People buy them just to show off, but we all don't give a crap.
In Europe people depend a lot on public transportation. they dont drive as much as we do here in US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive