Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times

Advertisements

I buy the cheapest ones which don't come with a warranty. Cost is around 350 for all 4, balanced and installed. After 2-3 years I go buy some more cheapos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
I buy the cheapest ones which don't come with a warranty. Cost is around 350 for all 4, balanced and installed. After 2-3 years I go buy some more cheapos.
Well, that's certainly one option.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Bridgestone and Goodyear make special tires to be sold only at Walmart or Sears. They're not as good a quality as what they sell at their authorized dealers. In fact, some of these tires are actually discontinued models that use to be sold at their authorized dealers.
True. My Aura has Riken Raptors from Discount Tire. Supposedly Riken is owned by Michelin but they're made in Indonesia. Junky tire but not bad for $100 a piece and not really worse than the Hankooks that were OEM.

Speaking of OEM, the Goodyear Wrangler STs on my Chevy truck were terrible. Simply awful tires that cost $130 to replace, I must add. Got 85K out of the rears, though. (I usually don't rotate- I alternate between buying two and four.) Replaced them with Continental Contitrac TRs that were a bit better and significantly cheaper and now have Dakotas from Pep Boys, which I believe are actually Kellys.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,772 times
Default Tire warranty is on defects not tire life

You need to understand what a tire warranty is and that is the manufacture warrants the tire to be free from defects for the useable tread life of the tire. This means your tire has a 75,000 mile warranty and if you get a bubble or a separation or something to that affect and there is still more than 3-32 of tread remaining on the tire it will be covered under warranty. However this does not mean that you will get 75,000 miles out of tire but far from that, this is a selling lure to get you to buy a tire with a high millage number. Truth to the matter is the most important thing to look at is the tread wear number and this is a fact the higher the tread wear number the more miles you will get out of a tire. I have see average tread wear numbers to be 400 but if you want a tire that will really last look for 600 or above, I recently purchased some general tires with a tread wear over 700 and this is for a truck and let me tell you that is a great number in truck tires. I had a set of michellin`s on my previous vehicle and they were a 700 and let me just say I drive hard as in on the gas on the break and they lasted me years in fact they still had great tread when I got rid of the vehicle. So just remember to read exactly what the warranty covers and you will see a eye opener.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymoposse View Post
You need to understand what a tire warranty is and that is the manufacture warrants the tire to be free from defects for the useable tread life of the tire. This means your tire has a 75,000 mile warranty and if you get a bubble or a separation or something to that affect and there is still more than 3-32 of tread remaining on the tire it will be covered under warranty. However this does not mean that you will get 75,000 miles out of tire but far from that, this is a selling lure to get you to buy a tire with a high millage number. Truth to the matter is the most important thing to look at is the tread wear number and this is a fact the higher the tread wear number the more miles you will get out of a tire. I have see average tread wear numbers to be 400 but if you want a tire that will really last look for 600 or above, I recently purchased some general tires with a tread wear over 700 and this is for a truck and let me tell you that is a great number in truck tires. I had a set of michellin`s on my previous vehicle and they were a 700 and let me just say I drive hard as in on the gas on the break and they lasted me years in fact they still had great tread when I got rid of the vehicle. So just remember to read exactly what the warranty covers and you will see a eye opener.
+1
I agree no tire co. is guaranteeing you will get X amount of mileage out of a tire. It is for defects only up to the warranted mileage.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
the tires were sold with a 85,000 mile warranty. .....The tires are Douglas brand. Steer clear of this manufacturer, unless you like to have problems.
Prove that warranty.

I don't believe Douglas tires have ever come with a 85k miles warranty...

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
I don't get the problem here, the mfg said the tires would last X miles but they lasted X-y so they gave you y as a rebate, you didn't really want they to give you ALL your money back did you?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
That's why I buy the warranty upgrade from Discount Tires.

As much as I like Sam's and Costco they are the worst. They said if I had a problem call the mfg talk about BS!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymoposse View Post
You need to understand what a tire warranty is and that is the manufacture warrants the tire to be free from defects for the useable tread life of the tire.
There is such a thing as tread life warranty too. Regardless, any warranty claim is going to be pro-rated. If you got 40K miles out of a theoretical 50K set of tires, the retailer or manufacturer (whichever is offering the warranty) is not obligated, and certainly isn't going to, just give the warranty claimant the value of 40,000 miles of tire use for free.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,361 times
Owned Michelin tires many times. No noticeable difference between them and other less costly tires. Michelins are way overrated and over priced. It's more important to keep inflated and rotate whichever tire you purchase.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive