Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times

Advertisements

This thread is a whopping 2.5 years old, I don't even know if the OP is a poster here anymore. Might want to stick with slightly more recent topics qwk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
This thread is a whopping 2.5 years old, I don't even know if the OP is a poster here anymore. Might want to stick with slightly more recent topics qwk.
In other words, you're in favor of prorating CD threads.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
The OP will be shocked when he gets pro rated on his battery won't he?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Workerbeeishere - You did better than I did with the prorated tire replacement. I have Goodyear tires on my 2005 Dodge Dakota, and about a month ago, I found a nail that had gone into the tread of the rear passenger side tire. I took it to Dodge and they told me that the warranty doesn't cover "road hazzards", it only covers mechanical items, and to take it to Goodyear. I went there and they told me that they couldn't fix it because the nail, even though it was in the tread, it was too close to the sidewall and it's too risky to put patch over it. So I basically have an almost new tire, with no treadwear on it that cannot be repaired. I didn't buy the road hazard warranty with the truck, so the tire is pretty much useless and I'll have to spend $200 on a new one to replace it! Luckily, the spare is the same brand and type, so I had them replace the damaged tire with the spare, then patch up the one with the nail and use it as a spare.

It's typical for somebody at a tire store, or anywhere else for that matter, to do their best to sell you the product, but when it comes to help you if there's a problem with it, they'll act as if they didn't know you.
i had the same problem a while back where tire shops came up with one excuse or another to not repair a flat tire i had once. i took the tire to a big O tire shop and they fixed the tire with no problems. you just have to be willing to look around.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Persoanlly I never buy some of the higher mileage tires becasue I find the rubber compound too hard. As far as flat if I could get the tires I want at wal-mart I'd buy everytime. Last I knew they did not fix flats but replaced the tire under hazard warranty with a new tire. Reason;liabilty not worth it. My wife bought tires there and had two flat tires replaced ;no charge. The hazard warranty was like 30 dollars and included mountinhg; new stems ;balancing plus rotation for life of tire. I was surprised when I watched them rotate tires that they used a torque wrench on final tightening of the lug nuts and two people checked them.But except for a few there selcetion is not that good on highend tries.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You get what you pay for - go with Michelin if you can afford it.
A friend has the same type of Michelins I have on my Jeep, and he's gotten 100K+ from them. Rotated them every 6K, and they lasted that long even here in the sunny and brutally hot South.

Michelins, if you can afford them. Bonus is most are American made, now.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:53 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Douglas tires = WalMart stuff

Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I am surprised that Op didn't know that tires are pro rated as to warranty on tread wear. If you read the warranty its says just that;so its really not bull.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
We have a van with 42,000 miles on our set of tires we purchased two years ago. My wife has the tires rotated every time the oil is changed. They are rotated twice as much. The tires have even tread wear across all four. the tires were sold with a 85,000 mile warranty.

Wouldn't you think the tire manufacturer should cover the cost of a 45,000~ mile tire? Well they won't. They will give you a pro-rate on the loss mileage. We might get 35%-50% off each new tire.

You say, well that isn't a bad deal. Well, it is. Add in the cost of valve steams, mount, balance, road hazard per tire, and your paying a lot of money when your tires should have last another two years.

By the way, my wife drives very reasonable. She doesn't take turns very fast and doesn't speed nor stop abruptly.

The tires are Douglas brand. Steer clear of this manufacturer, unless you like to have problems.
Sounds to me like a lesson in tire sidewall info is in order. Unless you know what you're buying a tire isn't just a tire. It is necessary to match the tire to the load as well as the vehicle and it's usage since not all tires are designed alike. Failing to do this when choosing tires will lead to premature wear out and/or tire failure. (the op chose a second line low price tire to do a first line tires job)

The lesson........
Tire code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You get what you pay for - go with Michelin if you can afford it.
I bought Michelin Hyro Edge tires for my wifes van. They came with a 90,000 mile warranty. They have roughly 50,000 miles on them and they are bald and will be getting replaced this weekend. They were rotated regularly like suggested. The tires were great in the rain and in dry conditions, but went absolutely nowhere in the snow. So the old adage of you get what you pay for is not always true. Can't wait to see how much they get pro rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive