Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:30 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,359,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
You'll find all over the country there is a serious shortage of used cars in that price range. The economy sh*thole were happily continuing on has actually driven up the cost of affordable used cars. Why can't your friend apply for an Obamacar?
indeed, its really difficult to find it at that range here in texas. there weresome 2500 ones were far up as north as chicago and sold out very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,726,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL, a Suburban being too small to tow a 6X12 trailer. BS! Doesn't sound like your BF is "an experienced hauler" at all if he bought that line of crap from a U-Haul lackey. Like others have said it isn't the size of the trailer, it is the load that makes the difference.

Sounds like your friend overloaded a trailer and then didn't drive like you should while pulling a trailer. Stop blaming U-Haul.
Yep. The wifes crew team trailer is hauled by a 'Burban and a 4-Runner (both V8s, mind you) with absolutely no problems, and that trailer is probably 25 or 30ft long, maybe more. It's all in the weight of the trailer and the person behind the wheel. My V6 Jeep could easily pull the trailer empty, and would probably be OK with a couple shells loaded, but I wouldn't try it with the trailer fully loaded.

That said, a decent $2500 car is going to be hard to come by. It's possible to be sure, but I haven't seen many!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,883,165 times
U-Haul won't let me tow anything behind my Explorer, simply because of "high claims experience" with that vehicle, but if I had a Mercury Mountaineer (same exact vehicle, but different badges) it is perfectly OK. U-Haul knows nothing about towing IMO and I take my business elsewhere.

But in looking for a new vehicle in that price range, good luck finding something you would trust everyday. Might have to up the price a bit. You can find things, but it takes luck and good timing on the ads before they go fast.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,514,034 times
You asked...yeah, the guy is a bud of mine, but he may deal:

houston cars & trucks - all classifieds "281-300-8856" - craigslist

Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 PM

176 posts, read 584,672 times
What exactly do you mean by totaled? Lot's of us have continued to drive cars which have been totaled--after some cheap repairs, used parts from junk yards.... We don't care that the cars have some dents--which body shops charge a fortune to repair.

I suggest you look at eBay and Craigslist. There are people who need money in a hurry who will sell adequate cars for $2500.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,119,917 times
In my view, there is a presumption that a company that rents trailers by the thousands every day has more of a responsibility to know the limitations of a tow, then a driver who pulls a trailer once or twice in a lifetime. If the trailer actually exceeded the towing capacity of the vehicle, the onus is on the agency to refuse to allow his trailer to leave the lot. However, it is possible that the user in this case overloaded or improperly loaded the trailer which would otherwise have been safe, something beyond the control of UHaul.

I gather from the OP that the trailer rolled the car, which sounds like an imbalanced load that fishtailed, which even a light trailer can do if the center of gravity is far behind the axle.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,366,495 times
From a dealership, no, certainly nothing worth it's $2500. Best bet is craigslist, but it's incredibly hard to find even a half decent car in that price range, let a lone something like a 4-runner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive