Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:07 PM

16 posts, read 68,868 times

Advertisements

So I recently just put a $500 deposit (refundable) on an LT1 Formula WS6, but am now rethinking this. My original plan was to keep the car for a year and a half and then upgrade to a Camaro or Challenger. However, seeing how heavy they are, I am not sure if I should just purchase an LS1 Trans Am now and wait to see how they downsize the Camaro and Barracuda for 2015. How is the reliability of an LS1 for a daily driver compared to the other two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,215,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13L600 View Post
So I recently just put a $500 deposit (refundable) on an LT1 Formula WS6, but am now rethinking this. My original plan was to keep the car for a year and a half and then upgrade to a Camaro or Challenger. However, seeing how heavy they are, I am not sure if I should just purchase an LS1 Trans Am now and wait to see how they downsize the Camaro and Barracuda for 2015. How is the reliability of an LS1 for a daily driver compared to the other two?
I'd go with the last year of the LS1 Camaro if you're looking for an older vehicle. It’s a fairly bullet proof engine and I think those were the best looking Camaro's of that type. Much better looking than the Transam IMO.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I'd go with the last year of LS1 Camaro if you're looking for an older vehicle. It’s a fairly bullet proof engine.

I agree. Those cars are fast and tough as nails and cheap. I would never bother with a new Camaro. Its a fat ugly car. I would never own one. Challenger is also fat but not ugly.. Ever look at a Mustang? They are brutal cars as compared to the other two? And way cheaper then either. You can buy a new 5.0 for under $30k.. about $10k cheaper then a Camaro SS or SRT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT-Ne...item2ec2567903

Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM

16 posts, read 68,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I agree. Those cars are fast and tough as nails and cheap. I would never bother with a new Camaro. Its a fat ugly car. I would never own one. Challenger is also fat but not ugly.. Ever look at a Mustang? They are brutal cars as compared to the other two? And way cheaper then either. You can buy a new 5.0 for under $30k.. about $10k cheaper then a Camaro SS or SRT

Ford : Mustang GT in Ford | eBay Motors
Im younger though so I automatically assumed insurance on those would be much higher. Although I'm not the biggest Ford fan I do agree that the new Mustangs are amazing cars. I was just kind of hoping that once they reveal the supercharged Challenger at the autoshow the used SRTs will depreciate a little more.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,952,731 times
2008 Corvette for $30k.

Or a 2005 GTO for $15k with LS2 400HP.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,215,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
2008 Corvette for $30k.

Or a 2005 GTO for $15k with LS2 400HP.
I don't think the OP mentioned budget but judging on the types of vehicles he's looking at I think the budget is under $15k.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,384,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't think the OP mentioned budget but judging on the types of vehicles he's looking at I think the budget is under $15k.
I don't know what kind of SRT he is going to get for under $15K. It would have to have a hell of a lot of miles on it.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,269,914 times
To be honest, I would waste the $$$ on a new Challenger or Camaro. You are going to lose money right off the bat in depreciation.

Get something used. Are you going to be using this as a daily driver? I never daily drive my muscle car, but it is a classic, so that would be stupid and expensive.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,949,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13L600 View Post
You put a deposit on a LT1 WS6? Then you are considering getting a new Camaro or Challenger in a year or so, but are now wondering if it would be better to just get a LS1 Trans Am and then wait for the new 2015 Camaro?

Is that right?

What is this car for? Is this solely a second weekend/fun car or is this your sole means of transportation? If the choice is between a LS1 or LT1 TA/Camaro then LS1 all the way, whether it's for racing, weekend fun or daily driving. Get the latest model with the lowest miles you can find. IMO, the only reason to buy one of the LT1's is to either turn it into a drag car or if it is one of the early SS/WS6 models to keep it as a collector. If this is something you have to drive all the time and want it to be somewhat fun as well, then I would also suggest considering a 2004 GTO (I'm guessing your budget is tight) which are much better daily drivers then any F-body.

However, if the goal is to get a new 2015 Camaro or something down the line, then maybe the better option now is to just get a regular car for school, work or whatever it is you are doing. My friends and I always joked that the best "mod" we ever did to our street/strip cars was when we bought a daily driver. So, why not grab a good daily driver now and use that while you save up and consider which performance car you want to buy. Then we you get that car, you still have something to handle the daily grind and save that new car for nights and weekends and having fun. Nothing wears a car out more then daily commuting, especially in traffic.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,168,994 times
SRT Cudas are going to be expensive, but very cool. I'd probably go for a later model T/A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive