Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,869,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Jetta TDI - Drivers wanted,,,
Good economy / service life
No dinosaurs / OPEC required
Pretty safe too! (Jetta is what my rural Trauma Medical instructor puts his wife and kids in)

Try it... you might like it. and YES VW dependability is not high...
I had an '03 Jetta TDI. Here is the list of everything that went wrong with it by the time it hit 120k miles (when I got rid of it):

• brake light sensor went out @ 40k miles
  • glove compartment wouldn't shut @ 50k miles
  • rear wheel bearings shot @ 60k miles
  • interior paint peeling all over the place @ ~80k miles
  • electrical cord running from alternator to battery shorted out and fried the fuse box sitting above the battery @ 80k miles, leaving me stranded on the freeway
  • air conditioner stopped working while idling @ 90k miles
  • intake clogged up @ 90k miles
  • coolant leak @ 100k miles
  • transmission went kaput @ 120 miles (that is when I traded it in)
TDIs do have excellent fuel economy and are fun to drive, but everything else about the car is junk. You'll eat up your fuel savings in repair bills, and VWs are NOT cheap to repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,960,234 times
Anyways, I think a Chevy Cruze might be a good bet. It's comfortable, fairly spacious, and seems to be well-made...although reliability track record is unproven and it is quite slow.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,801,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Still about a year before ready to replace my 2003 Malibu. Looking at compact cars. If the price is right, might get midsize sedan.
Might be able to find a good deal on a 2012 Malibu or Fusion, if you decide to go the midsize route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive