Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times

Advertisements

Saw a G20 in a parking lot today. With some luxury and upscale brands bringing out compact sedans, should Infinity do the same? Acura now has their Civic based sedan (can't remember their letter name), Buick has it's Cruze/Astra based sedan called the Verano, BMW has it's 1 series, Volvo has the C30 and upcoming 5 door version, and Audi has it's A4. I think some brands are doing this to help them meet the upcoming CAFE standards as well as to try to attract younger customers who would be likely to buy the next size up of the same brand for their next purchase. Currently Infinity has only two sedans and one coupe. Should they do an upscale version based upon the new Sentra platform or continue their RWD theme in a compact sedan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
I really would not consider the A4 a compact sedan, its more along the lines of a 3 series but any ways..... Unless they have a similar product over seas that they dont sell here, I dont see how it would work. Unless they want to make an upscale version of the Sentra; but I dont see that selling here.....

Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I really would not consider the A4 a compact sedan, its more along the lines of a 3 series but any ways..... Unless they have a similar product over seas that they dont sell here, I dont see how it would work. Unless they want to make an upscale version of the Sentra; but I dont see that selling here.....
I agree if it's based upon the current Sentra which I find horribly ugly. There is a completely new Sentra on it's way and has been shown in auto shows overseas. If it's a new Sentra based sedan, they should go with the Altima's 2.5L engine which has enough power and torque for this size vehicle plus it's very smooth and fuel efficient.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 AM

570 posts, read 1,001,679 times
Maybe Infiniti should just try a smaller engine than what's in the current G25 sedan. Their G series sedans are Infiniti's bread and butter. Personally I don't see it happening because people getting entry level luxury cars would probably want a balance of luxury and power.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM

401 posts, read 641,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Saw a G20 in a parking lot today. . Currently Infinity has only two sedans and one coupe. Should they do an upscale version based upon the new Sentra platform or continue their RWD theme in a compact sedan?
they have the G25. the upscale version is the G37 sedan/coupe.

2012 Infiniti G25

Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsorrow View Post
they have the G25. the upscale version is the G37 sedan/coupe.

2012 Infiniti G25
Same car, different engine. Not a compact sedan.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
I think they are cancelling the G25 after this year:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/08/2...-discontinued/

As far as something smaller, I'm thinking they'll wait and see how well the Verano and ILX do before they consider it. The next Sentra is supposed to be nice, but who knows how a luxury version would fare.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,075,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think they are cancelling the G25 after this year, one and done.

As far as something smaller, I'm thinking they'll wait and see how well the Verano and ILX do before they consider it. The next Sentra is supposed to be nice, but who knows how a luxury version would fare.
I think the issue with the G25 is that you don't save all that much money considering how much you're giving up in output for a very modest fuel mileage gain.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Saw a G20 in a parking lot today. With some luxury and upscale brands bringing out compact sedans, should Infinity do the same? Acura now has their Civic based sedan (can't remember their letter name), Buick has it's Cruze/Astra based sedan called the Verano, BMW has it's 1 series, Volvo has the C30 and upcoming 5 door version, and Audi has it's A4. I think some brands are doing this to help them meet the upcoming CAFE standards as well as to try to attract younger customers who would be likely to buy the next size up of the same brand for their next purchase. Currently Infinity has only two sedans and one coupe. Should they do an upscale version based upon the new Sentra platform or continue their RWD theme in a compact sedan?
If Infinity wants to compete and wants to do it right, then yes they should create a small sedan and it should be rear-wheel drive, like BMW's 1-series and even Cadillac's new ATS. It upsets me that Mercedes didn't go the same route with its upcoming CLA-class compact. Of course, it's reported the CLA will be full-time AWD standard, but that's a cheap tactic to draw attention from not being RWD not unlike Ford-Jaguar used when introducing the lame X-type.

In regard to Audi, I think you were looking for "A3", which the sedan version should be coming out soon.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Infiniti is spelled I N F I N I T I

There is no Y in the name.

The G25 is most certainly a compact sedan. It is about the same size as BMW 3, M-B C class, or Honda Civic.

The M is a mid-sized car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive