Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,183,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Infiniti is spelled I N F I N I T I

There is no Y in the name.

The G25 is most certainly a compact sedan. It is about the same size as BMW 3, M-B C class, or Honda Civic.

The M is a mid-sized car.
I wouldn't call it a compact. My previous gen G35 sedan was much roomier than a comparable 3 series or Honda Civic. This was particularly noticeable with the rear seating. There was definitely more room than my friends E90 3 series sedan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,614,369 times
Quote:

The G25 is most certainly a compact sedan. It is about the same size as BMW 3, M-B C class, or Honda Civic.

Wow, chill out! So sorry to have misspelled a brand's misspelled name. Look up the word in the dictionary.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,273,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I wouldn't call it a compact. My previous gen G35 sedan was much roomier than a comparable 3 series or Honda Civic. This was particularly noticeable with the rear seating. There was definitely more room than my friends E90 3 series sedan.
Well I suppose the EPA calls it a mid-size. So I stand corrected. But it only has 5 more cu. ft. of interior volume than a Civic.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,183,624 times
Quote:
Well I suppose the EPA calls it a mid-size. So I stand corrected. But it only has 5 more cu. ft. of interior volume than a Civic.
I think the bigger story is that the new for 2012 Honda Civic has more interior room than the previous generation 2011 (94.6 versus 90.9). I've sat in the 2011 and the difference is space was fairly substantial compared to the G37 but this may be less apparent with the redesigned Civic. There are still valuable inches in various dimensions but it's not as large a gap as it used to be.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,554,941 times
Quote:

1. They chose a terrible name to use and over 20 years later people still don't know or care how to spell it. FAIL
2. The G25 is much larger than the 3 series it. It closer in size to the next class up. Its a "tweener"

Dumb names, horrible naming system with the worst letters = a hot mess
G (okay at best)
JX (terrible)
J (terrible)
Q (terrible and now used by Audi)
M (not BMW's real M)
FX (cable station)
EX (Honda Accord trim level)

Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,856,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
1. They chose a terrible name to use and over 20 years later people still don't know or care how to spell it. FAIL
I think it HAS to be the most misspelled marque name on the market. Bar None. In fact, I really can't think of ANY other brand name (or model name) that is misspelled as much. I sometimes see "Camero" and it gives me a small seizure, but Infinity is much worse really. The speaker company has more recognition.

Quote:
Dumb names, horrible naming system with the worst letters = a hot mess
G, M and Q made some sense to me as they progressed to larger sedans as they went down the alphabet, but picking M when BMW "owns" that in the mind of enthusiasts was dumb to me. Now that the Q is gone, it just kind of exposes the M more as a bad choice since it is the flag bearer for the brand.

The trucks I don't get at all X to me means crossover, so EX, FX, JX made some sense to me but a body on frame QX blows it and somewhat cheapens it IMO.

Quote:
JX (terrible)
J (terrible)
Q (terrible and now used by Audi)
M (not BMW's real M)
FX (cable station)
EX (Honda Accord trim level)
Yeah, all that. And don't forget that IPL foolishness. If it were not for the G series being an overwhelming success, this brand would be in real trouble, and probably still is if the next G isn't a smash hit. But the whole thing needs an overhaul.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,006,584 times
Unfortunately, most (if not all) luxury car companies do the alphanumeric naming. They want to promote their brand name as opposed to the model. When Acura first came out, they had names like "Legend", "Integra", and "Vigor". Now the have the "ILX" (based on the Honda Civic) and other models.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I think it HAS to be the most misspelled marque name on the market. Bar None. In fact, I really can't think of ANY other brand name (or model name) that is misspelled as much. I sometimes see "Camero" and it gives me a small seizure, but Infinity is much worse really. The speaker company has more recognition.

G, M and Q made some sense to me as they progressed to larger sedans as they went down the alphabet, but picking M when BMW "owns" that in the mind of enthusiasts was dumb to me. Now that the Q is gone, it just kind of exposes the M more as a bad choice since it is the flag bearer for the brand.

The trucks I don't get at all X to me means crossover, so EX, FX, JX made some sense to me but a body on frame QX blows it and somewhat cheapens it IMO.

Yeah, all that. And don't forget that IPL foolishness. If it were not for the G series being an overwhelming success, this brand would be in real trouble, and probably still is if the next G isn't a smash hit. But the whole thing needs an overhaul.
IPL forgot about that...do you know typed out it means "Infiniti Infiniti Performance Line". Are they idiots? Then its just some NISMO parts...

IPL= Increases Performance Little according to people on Autoblog
IPL= Increases Price Lots

Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
Unfortunately, most (if not all) luxury car companies do the alphanumeric naming. They want to promote their brand name as opposed to the model. When Acura first came out, they had names like "Legend", "Integra", and "Vigor". Now the have the "ILX" (based on the Honda Civic) and other models.
Right and the brands that are not idiots like Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi get a name and stick with it for the most part. infiniti changes names daily and Acura is not even really a luxury brand. They were better off using the names. Acura thinks changes names and not changing the actual cars and product will help them. ILX is a ridiculous name, it means NOTHING and "X" usually stands for AWD and its FWD.

hell the Infiniti M sedan used to be a coupe! The m30 originally. Then they don't sell any M for a decade.

Its just confusing to people and part of why they are not very successful.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM

570 posts, read 1,006,584 times
Acura was better when they were first created in the 1980s. They (and parent company Honda) set the trend of selling Japanese luxury cars in North America. They inspired Toyota's Lexus brand and Nissan's Infiniti brand to be introduced to the North American market by 1989. Even Mazda had plans of a luxury division of their own in the 1990s, but they eventually dropped that idea.

As far as dropping model names for alphanumeric soup, Acura was not alone as far as luxury automakers. Look at recent products from Lincoln and Cadillac. Other than the Lincoln Navigator and Cadillac Escalade, every new vehicle from them is a mix of letters. The companies want to promote their brand name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive