Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Failure rate? Let's keep it simple for now... what percentage of vehicle owners come out to find their battery dead for one reason or another? Would you really want to go through the whole rigamarole of having someone jimmy the door open because the manufacturer decided to oust the capability of keyed entry?
I just looked at a Mazda 3 with the advanced keyless entry and push start. The remote still comes with a key you can get to if needed. The new car's the come don't even have the fuse installed so the sales guy had to get into and start the car with the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Failure rate? Let's keep it simple for now... what percentage of vehicle owners come out to find their battery dead for one reason or another? Would you really want to go through the whole rigamarole of having someone jimmy the door open because the manufacturer decided to oust the capability of keyed entry?
I never thought of that! I drive an old car, and dreading all the new-fangled (lol) gadgets that will probably be on my next car. That was just based on me not liking change, but now finding out they won't work if the battery dies makes me not want it even more!

I locked my keys in my car with the engine running a couple of months ago (don't ask!). I keep a spare in my purse but of course that was inside the car, too. AAA came and put what looked like a blood pressure cuff along the side rim of the door and pumped it open until they could reach the door latch with another gadget. I think about putting one of those hide-a-keys, but many years ago I had one and when I needed it, it was no longer there, I assumed it fell off somewhere.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I have a magnetic key holder stuck to the underside of frame. Never needed to use the keys in 9 years maybe they got knocked off in snow storms guess I should check
This is what has always been recommended to me.
Also, you could have a key hidden under a rock somewhere near your house. If you do get locked out of your car, you get a ride home and get the spare key.
All my family members have two extra keys. One with a neighbor and one hidden under a rock, etc. around the house.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM

24,451 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never thought of that! I drive an old car, and dreading all the new-fangled (lol) gadgets that will probably be on my next car. That was just based on me not liking change, but now finding out they won't work if the battery dies makes me not want it even more!
I find posts like yours interesting. My 2004 model cars fob is still working quite well on the original battery. If that fails there is always the key that will open the door and start the car. If all else fails, there is always AAA.

Yet, posters lament the new technology when it applies to cars, but yet they have to have the latest computer, big screen tv, sound system and smart phone.

Never fails to amuse me.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I find posts like yours interesting. My 2004 model cars fob is still working quite well on the original battery. If that fails there is always the key that will open the door and start the car. If all else fails, there is always AAA.

Yet, posters lament the new technology when it applies to cars, but yet they have to have the latest computer, big screen tv, sound system and smart phone.

Never fails to amuse me.
Not me! I have a dumb phone (no data), a TV my Mom gave me when she moved, and an original iPod Touch that I bought about 8 years ago. Why would you assume I'm lying and really love new tech but just saying I don't?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,286 times
I've had a spare key hidden on my cars since I started driving 20+ yrs ago.

and the insurance companies don't care if it was stolen with the key... Stolen is stolen and they pay up.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I bet if it gets stolen with the key, the insurance company isn't going to give you squat, or next to it. Why? Because you effectively gave the crook the key, and you KNOW they don't want to pay out. If you left your keys in the ignition, do you thing the insurance company would sympathize with you? Nope.
I highly doubt anyone would admit that they left a spare key on the car, let alone the keys in the ignition. It's not like the insurance company demands to see the car keys if your car is stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Do you think it is a good idea to hide a spare key on the outside of your car like under a bumper or under a wheel well in case you lose or misplace a key? Is the increased chance of auto theft too insignificant to worry about?
I wonder if this is even possible. A growing number of cars today don't have keys they use those wireless keys. A "spare" key hidden under a car would probably allow you to unlock your doors and start the car without the use of your other key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anybody have any experiences with electronic door openers when it's 30 below?
I can't say that I have, but I did go a function at a church last year, I parked next to the church and put the keyless remote into my back pocket. When I came out of the church, all the car doors were unlocked, all the windows were down and the truck was popped open. Fortunately is was a church out in the country, other wise the radio would have been gone at the very least in a city. So I personally hate these keyless entry remotes, I much rather have a old fashioned key for my car.

Last edited by TechGromit; 10-22-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Not me! I have a dumb phone (no data), a TV my Mom gave me when she moved, and an original iPod Touch that I bought about 8 years ago. Why would you assume I'm lying and really love new tech but just saying I don't?
I never said you were lying. There are posters here and in real life. My post was made in response to your comment:

dreading all the new-fangled (lol) gadgets that will probably be on my next car.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Okay, it just sounded like I was one of those who "amused you" by saying I don't like changes in tech but have a housefull of new tech gadgets. Maybe implying hypocrisy would've been a better phrase than thinking I was lying. I'm 50 btw, so I'm sure age has something to do with my reluctance to accept new-fangled things. Also the post a few back who said they came out from church to find every door unlocked and the trunk open due to their keyless remote in their pocket - I'd probably do that all the time without realizing it!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Okay, it just sounded like I was one of those who "amused you" by saying I don't like changes in tech but have a housefull of new tech gadgets. Maybe implying hypocrisy would've been a better phrase than thinking I was lying. I'm 50 btw, so I'm sure age has something to do with my reluctance to accept new-fangled things. Also the post a few back who said they came out from church to find every door unlocked and the trunk open due to their keyless remote in their pocket - I'd probably do that all the time without realizing it!
LOL, I'm much older than you. Some of the new tech I buy into, some I don't. Now as far as the key fob goes, you can toss it in a drawer some place (if it's not built into the key) and just use your normal key.

And don't ever, ever put your keys or cell phone into your back pocket because you just might butt dial someone, set off your alarm or unlock your doors/trunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive