Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Saw this show on Velocity channel. They hunt for a particular model car, try to bargain down the price, buy the car, bring it back to their shop, fix and improve the car, and then try to sell the car for a profit. This episode was a 1957 Chevy Bel Air sedan. Bought in Florida, shipped to England, and restored. They bought it for about $6,000. Total on purchase, parts, paint, chrome refinishing, import tax & shipping, and travel expenses was $21,297.60. They sold it for $25,297.60; a profit of $3,946.60.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:44 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Really entertaining show.. although MOST of the cars only end up with a few hundred dollars in.profit. Good for fun, not great if actually trying to make $$$.. still a great show though..

Old 08-26-2012, 12:52 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Really entertaining show.. although MOST of the cars only end up with a few hundred dollars in.profit. Good for fun, not great if actually trying to make $$$.. still a great show though..
Watching another episode. They're working on a Subaru Impreza WRX. They changed to larger brakes and rotors, increased intake flow with K&N filter, increased flow with new muffler. Took it to a dyno shop and it showed the filter and muffler hurt the horsepower thanks to the ECU. Re-configured the ECU and went from around 220 factory to 243.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Great show, it really makes me sad at some of the cars we don't get, and the ones that we do have the prices are just insanly low compared to what we get here. Mike Brewer has another show Autotrader that was enjoy able as well.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
I love the show. Mostly because it is not very exaggerated like overhauling, also most of the repairs they do, one can do with some basic tools and skills. The biggest reason is that I used to do the same thing with a friend of mine in our 20's. We would buy a good car, fix it up, drive it for 6 months to a year and sell at profit. It was fun and we made money too.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Been watching this for years. Mecum classic car auctions are also on Velocity, along with some other good automotive programming.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
I have watched every single episode and have enjoyed them all even though I am sure that they are staged.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,907 times
Yes, it's "staged" - after all, it's television. Note too that poor Ed's time is never factored in the final $$$, either. Who cares, though - it's entertaining as all get out, esp. with the slang - "good nick", "quid", "proper motor", and more...
Oh, and there's usually a waiting list of buyers for the show's "results".

Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM

491 posts, read 1,652,526 times
I love this show, Mike and Ed are hilarious, specially Mike. And I like the way Ed sort of walks you through the "DIY", just enough for you to understand what he's up to.
Some of my favorites were the Jaguar E-type, Karmen Ghia, Dodge Charger, and Delorean.
Some intro highlights, but not the actual cars they ultimately bought and work on.

Jaguar E-Type - Wheeler Dealers - YouTube

Karmann Ghia - Wheeler Dealers - YouTube

Dodge Charger - Wheeler Dealers - YouTube

Back To The Future - Wheeler Dealers - YouTube

Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Great, great show. Yet another example of how much better British television is when it comes to car shows. Amazing how that happens when you don't have to be plugging someone's product every 2 seconds to justify your existence.

Mike's a lot of fun, and Edd does a fantastic job of explaining the basic concepts of the things he's working on. It's a bit formulaic for sure, but it's still a lot of fun to see under the hood of some cars you'd never see here, plus the episodes where they do take an American car are fun because they're so enthused over stuff we see everyday. My one small gripe, though, is that they seem to 'somehow' make a profit on everything. If I remember back to the older episodes, that didn't always happen. It'd be nice to see them take a fall every once in a while, especially to show that what they do isn't always that realistic. Take the episode with the Subaru, for example. Maybe it's different in the UK, but I have NEVER seen a vehicle sell for MORE based on the it having a bunch of aftermarket stuff on there. AT BEST you may break even, but most car guys will tell you that you're better off taking the parts off, putting it to stock, and selling those parts separately. And those 'custom' stripes with their signatures? Come on!

I loved Autotrader as well. It was an amazingly simple yet brilliant format that gave lots of great info while being entertaining at the same time.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive