Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,205,178 times

Advertisements

Sure it is, but what is the vertical hitch weight limit?
Most TT have around 10-15% of their weight is on the hitch.
now add full propane bottles (most are 35gal these days) your gear and you will quickly be over the limit for most small or mid size cars.

2k is not much of a tow rating, and your gear alone could weight over 700lbs?

Our kids tow a small single axle TT with their jeep Cherokee they said it was kind of scary towing it with their subie forester.

The smallest pop up trailers have a hitch weight from 122 -300lb
A dry weight of 1400-2709lb
a GVWR of 2020-3623lbs.

This does not leave you much room for water, food,propane and your gear.
You will quickly run out of Vehicle using a subie.

I use a 2500 4x4 Diesel to tow my 26ft TT.

It is better to have to much tow vehicle than one that might get you by.

Go load up your trailer like your going camping and go to the local truck scale and weight your rig. remember to add the weight of all the occupants to your total, now open the drivers door and read the vehicles weight rating.

Quote:
Our 4 cyl Subaru is rated at 2000 lbs (with electric brake) and 1000 without. That's not too bad. Check out the Forester.

I've seen vehicles as small as Kia Souls tow lightweight pop ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM

881 posts, read 2,099,442 times
It (towing levels for cars) in the US market isn't a function of engines, trans, unibodies, or anything else (look up the same manuf. in other markets). It's a function of "Dowie, Cheathem, & Howe", atty. @ law, nothing more (I've done engineering analysis work for US automakers - trust me). Sad, really...

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,568,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
2k is not much of a tow rating, and your gear alone could weight over 700lbs?.
Nah, not for us. All of the campers I've looked at are under 1,000 lbs. We don't fish, hunt, or bring the kitchen sink with us to the site.

I get what you're saying, but for our needs, an upper limit of 2000 lbs is fine. We're not retired so extended trips are not a possibility.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,208,002 times
FWIW, I threw a hitch on my 09 xB (even though Toyota does not rate it for towing) and used it to tow one of those little 5x7 trailers you see outside Lowe's/Home Depot. I used it like a pickup, loading it with anything from logs to my motorcycle. I think the most I had in the trailer at one point was 800-something lbs (based on in the in/out scale weights at the dump). No complaints.

Mike

Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,932,464 times
2012 Avenger is 2000lbs.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,205,178 times
subie forester curb weight, 3,152.6 lb

The law requires that every light vehicle and trailer combination must be capable of stopping within a distance of seven metres from a speed of 30km/h.
In effect, this means that the maximum allowable weight of an unbraked trailer is limited by the weight and braking ability of the vehicle being used to tow it.
The NZTA recommends, as a guide, that the laden weight of an unbraked trailer should not exceed three quarters of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and then only if the towing vehicle's brakes and tyres are in excellent condition. A trailer heavier than this may prevent the vehicle combination from meeting the seven metre from 30km/h brake performance requirement.
To illustrate the increase in stopping distance when towing an unbraked trailer, consider a trailer with a laden weight equal to the weight of the towing vehicle.
This combination can be expected to have double the stopping distance of the towing vehicle alone, and even a towing vehicle with good brakes is likely to fail the legal brake performance requirement of seven metres from 30km/h.
If the trailer is equipped with brakes, it may be possible to safely tow a trailer heavier than three quarters of the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, but the seven metres from 30km/h brake performance requirement still applies.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:06 AM

568 posts, read 2,427,120 times
I saw a Taurus pulling a small pop-up camper a couple weeks ago.

I always laughed at my friend who used to pull his jet ski to the lake with his Porsche 944 Turbo. The guys at U-Haul thought he was nuts when he pulled in and said he wanted a receiver put on the car. lol

Old 08-03-2012, 06:12 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,454,439 times
I have a receiver on my 2012 Mustang GT for hauling my 4 "spare tires" and some tools when I go to the track to spectate.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM

881 posts, read 2,099,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
I saw a Taurus pulling a small pop-up camper a couple weeks ago.

I always laughed at my friend who used to pull his jet ski to the lake with his Porsche 944 Turbo. The guys at U-Haul thought he was nuts when he pulled in and said he wanted a receiver put on the car. lol
Which was rated to tow (IIRC) 1000 kg over there (2200 lbs). Perfect example of frightened US auto sellers...

Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 AM

4,257 posts, read 3,805,165 times
I always laugh at cars when I see them towing stuff down the highway. The back half of the car is about an inch off the ground and the front looks like its about to lift off the road. All they have to do is pull back on the yoke and take off, all they are missing are the wings.

Thats what trucks were made for....if you need to tow something why not buy a small SUV or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive