Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM

88 posts, read 689,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
How would this be any different from cameras in banks, atms, 7-11s, Wal-Mart etc etc.

Generally there is no expectation of privacy when out in public.
I don't know the true legal answer but one difference is the examples you gave usually have a sign displayed regarding the fact that video surveillance is occurring.

Last edited by cwells3030; 07-23-2012 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,331,155 times
Quote:
How would this be any different from cameras in banks, atms, 7-11s, Wal-Mart etc etc.

There are signs when you go in places that have cameras that record.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,316,740 times
Quote:

Those are all private businesses that a person chose to go in to. But I am certainly no lawyer and am only throwing that out there.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM

3,531 posts, read 7,826,791 times
This Video is pretty much useless. What I'm mainly interested in is something that's clear enough to make out the license plate of the car in front of me. Most of the videos I've seen of Dash Cams are not clear to do this.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwells3030 View Post
I know the topic is cameras (which I know nothing about) but why is it a no fault accident if she was rear ended.
I think it's because she stopped short to avoid hitting the driver ahead of her. The driver behind her also saw the other car cut her off too, but with no license plate the police have nothing to go on. This was at a traffic light, there isn't a lot of distance between the cars when you start moving when a traffic light changes.

It's not like you can lock your brakes up and stop on the freeway and expect the driver that hits you from behind is always going to be at fault.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I don't know the true legal answer but one difference is the examples you gave usually have a sign displayed regarding the fact that video surveillance is occurring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Those are all private businesses that a person chose to go in to. But I am certainly no lawyer and am only throwing that out there.
And cameras at traffic lights? Is there a sign on the traffic pole stating if you drive through this intersection you consent to be recorded and ticketed if you run the red light? I think not. If it was so easy to get this evidence thrown out, all outdoor cameras would be illegal, since the people walking by are not consenting to be recorded.

However it is illegal to record someone without there knowledge where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Bathrooms, dressing rooms, tanning booths and hotel rooms would be some examples.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,391,117 times
No experience with the camera - but it does pose interesting questions. I'm wondering if it will actually do what the OP is looking for. Focusing on the license plate of the car in front of you is one thing... but can it clearly capture actions that originate from outside the camera view? And if a car swerves from the side, would you actually see the license plate at that angle? Finally, wouldn't the insurance company have to prove that the car was driven by the registered owner? As indicated earlier, they are not law enforcement, would they have to formally request that info through the courts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Sounds like a great idea.

I'd often semi-joked of getting one, too. I seem to be the victim of so many hit and runs when my car is parked (since our office changed buildings which, oddly enough, is just a couple blocks up the street from the old office) that I'm fed up.
That would be a huge amount of data storage that would be required.... at least 8 hours of video that is quality enough to make out license plates... And the same issue above as well... how many cameras will you need to ensure you will cover all angles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
And cameras at traffic lights? Is there a sign on the traffic pole stating if you drive through this intersection you consent to be recorded and ticketed if you run the red light? I think not. If it was so easy to get this evidence thrown out, all outdoor cameras would be illegal, since the people walking by are not consenting to be recorded.

However it is illegal to record someone without there knowledge where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Bathrooms, dressing rooms, tanning booths and hotel rooms would be some examples.
In my state/county, enforcement cameras do have notices ("enforced by photo" or "red light camera"). And are the normal traffic cameras really used for enforcement of laws or just for monitoring traffic flow. The only time I've seen them used for actual law enforcement is on TV shows..... Not disagreeing with anyone as I am no lawyer... but just throwing it out there.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,316,740 times
Quote:

The gov't gets to do all sorts of things regular people can't.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 AM

3,967 posts, read 6,920,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There are signs when you go in places that have cameras that record.
Quote:
Those signs are strictly to deter any theft or dangerous activity from happening. The cameras are meant to scare criminals off not necessarily prosecute those who offend. You can video tape in public and dash cameras are completely legal. Now, that doesn't mean the courts will side with you if you have video evidence of an accident. They may or may not take it as evidence. But you most certainly couldn't get a ticket for having one.

Check out this crazy dash cam video:

Dash Cam Near Car & Sliding Truck Crash - YouTube

Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM

88 posts, read 689,503 times
Quote:

All of our cameras around here for running red lights and speeding have signs posted before the intersection that say traffic laws photo enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive