Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a car that had previously been in an accident. The seller has provided me with all documentation on the repair, which was done by a well-reviewed shop, and there was no frame damage. It was clearly not a big accident. I will have it assessed by a body shop of my choice before purchasing, of course.

Anyway, the only issue with the car is it has a clean title with a "reconstructed" remark from PA.

I actually bought a car like this years ago, and it was great. No issues whatsoever and you'd never have known it was in an accident. From what I remember, as long as it's not a rebuilt or salvage title, when it gets to CT it's fully clear with no remarks. I believe the car I bought had a remark in FL, but when it transferred to CT it was fully clear. Obviously the VIN history is the VIN history, but I'm more concerned about a clear title for financing and insurance purposes.

Can anyone confirm or disconfirm that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I am moving this over to the Automotive forum for more respnses. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
Not sure what you're asking, but a Penna. "Reconstructed" vehicle is one w/a salvage title that has been rebuilt and certified by the State. Insurance & finance are generally (except for classic/collecter vehicles) a problem.
You may wish to call CT DMV (?) to see how they handle out of state salvage titles...

BTW, most states have now tightened up salvage/recon/parts only requirements in the past 5 years due to the flood (heh) of damaged cars from Katrina which were shipped all over the US...

Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Not sure what you're asking, but a Penna. "Reconstructed" vehicle is one w/a salvage title that has been rebuilt and certified by the State. Insurance & finance are generally (except for classic/collecter vehicles) a problem.
You may wish to call CT DMV (?) to see how they handle out of state salvage titles...

BTW, most states have now tightened up salvage/recon/parts only requirements in the past 5 years due to the flood (heh) of damaged cars from Katrina which were shipped all over the US...
OK, thanks. The owner said it's a clean title with a "reconstructed" comment. I'd seen that before in Florida and it transferred cleanly to CT, but if you're right - I'm staying away.

Unfortunately, there's really no way to call the CT DMV. I'd just have to show up, I guess. Not even sure it's worth it if the car is technically a salvage.

Strange it would be salvage when it was $6500 worth of damage on a $70,000 car.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Reconstructed according to PA is rebuilt to original operating standards. It has to pass an enhanced safety inspection before a Reconstructed title is issued. It does mean at some point it was issued a Certificate of Salvage. Info is from this PDF on the PA state web site: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...d_Vehicles.pdf Original link from state web site here: Information Centers

Not sure if this would still mean issues for insurance/financing or not. To me, the way it's described, it should not be an issue for those, but that might be too logical for banks and insurance companies.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Just think about the fact a salvage title reduces the resell value. Then ask yourself why you would even consider this car, you will want to sell it down the line at some point. Do you want to be the one passing some bs story that "reconstructed" is not a salvage title??

Old 07-21-2012, 01:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Strange it would be salvage when it was $6500 worth of damage on a $70,000 car.
It sounds like you're not getting the whole story on this vehicle. I don't know of any insurance company that would total a car for such a nominal portion of it's value ....

Unless it was a theft recovery car that had been paid off and was later found with some modest damage.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
It sounds like you're not getting the whole story on this vehicle. I don't know of any insurance company that would total a car for such a nominal portion of it's value ....
Agree that bit doesn't make sense. Why would a $70k car ever be salvage if it could be fixed for $6500?

Maybe the theft recovery theory is correct, but if you're going to pursue this car it would be worth asking why it was ever salvage given these amounts. Don't settle for "Well it's not salvage now, it's been reconstructed and passed the inspection." Well yes, but what happened to it in the first place? I think if they don't want to tell you or don't know you may well want to walk.

But then you said you bought a car like that before and it was okay. So I mean, there certainly is some possibility it will work out like that again. It may really be about your own comfort level. As someone said above, it may present difficulty in selling again. "Years ago" may mean that CT won't whitewash this title anymore the way they apparently did that previous time, so if you go forward with it I think you should be prepared for it to continue to say reconstructed. Which means you need to find out from insurance companies and finance whether they will handle this or not. Or find out from CT for sure how they handle the PA reconstructed title. Given this info from CT DMV: Salvaged (Totaled) Vehicles it is likely your CT title would be stamped "Rebuilt" now. The link explains the process required in CT for getting a new title for a salvage vehicle, much like the PA process. While presumably the car wouldn't have to go through that again if that has already happened in PA, I think the rebuilt aspect of it would transfer. But again, that is ascribing logic to processes which aren't always logical. It would be best to confirm.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM

I'm gonna skip this. Seems like a different situation than the car I bought from Florida that transferred clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive