Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 AM

26,722 posts, read 41,989,039 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for a newer used car. Looking to stay under $16k and have found three suitable choices in a 08 Accord, 09 Altima, and a 10 Fusion? If in my position which one would you choose?

A little info to consider.

- I'm 6'5 with a big gut, want something that wont murder my legs.
- This car will likely stay at home most of the weekdays since I'll use public transit to get to work.
- This car will likely be used for long road trips to Southern VA and NC on weekends.
- I'll be living the in DC area (Arlington, VA) so would prefer better city gas mileage.

So which should be my poison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 AM

6,483 posts, read 6,250,602 times
I love my 2008 Honda Accord. It's a very safe, reliable car and will take care of you like no other car can.

-My dad is 6'3 with a big gut and has plenty of room; he enjoys driving my car. You'll have plenty of room.
-You're going to enjoy those road trips. The Accord is a very nice car to drive.
-City gas mileage is pretty decent. Low 20s. Will match or beat the other two cars.

Also, you can't beat Honda reliability.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,443,237 times

2010 Ford Fusion vs. Mazda 6, Honda Accord - CAR and DRIVER - YouTube
This might help make the choice a little but easier..

Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM

5,644 posts, read 25,053,212 times
You need to test drive each... no one here can predict which will be most comfortable for you.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,098,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm in the market for a newer used car. Looking to stay under $16k and have found three suitable choices in a 08 Accord, 09 Altima, and a 10 Fusion? If in my position which one would you choose?

- This car will likely stay at home most of the weekdays since I'll use public transit to get to work.
- This car will likely be used for long road trips to Southern VA and NC on weekends.
- I'll be living the in DC area (Arlington, VA) so would prefer better city gas mileage.

DUDE! You're moving back to DC area??

Old 06-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
DUDE! You're moving back to DC area??
Yes. Out of 300 applications over 3 months, only got one job offer, which happens to be in Arlington. Gotta go where the jobs are or where you are actually offered one.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,501,591 times
I can say from experience the Fusion is not as comfortable as the other two. After a few hrs driving my butt hurt and the leg room for the driver is not great. Not to mention the cr is not put together well. Too many rattles, things ripping easy and the cap to the wiper fluid broke off when I opened it.

The Fusion may ride more quiet then a Accord, but once you put a good set of Yoko or Michellen on a Accord it rides much more quiet.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 AM

11,968 posts, read 25,618,120 times
Accord has the cheapest insurance rates and best reputation for long term reliability. It's also a bit more expensive to buy than an Altima or Fusion.

I drive a Nissan right now (an ecobox Versa) and it is very comfortable. I'm planning to upgrade to a midsize sedan myself a little down the road. I'm totally split between Accord, Camry (SE trim), Altima, and Mazda 6 right now.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,898,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post

I would say you should strongly consider none of them. At $16k for financing, you are looking at a payment in the $300 range. Add on another $100 for insurance and you are at $400 a month just to have the car. You will be using public transit to get to work, so you don't need a car everyday to commute. Your primary use would be weekend roadtrips.

I think you should seriously look into joining a carsharing service like Zipcar that has cars all over that area in case you need to get a car on short notice or for local errands. Then for your weekend trips, just use a car rental agency and you should be able to snag deals for as little as $20-$30 a day. Even if you rented every weekend, you wouldn't spend more then around $240 on the rentals. That would leave another $160 a month for carsharing or extra transit trips to get around while you're at home, before you would even begin to break even on just the basic cost of owning the car.

If I was you, I would try to go "carless" for a couple of months and see how it works out, you will most likely find yourself having saved money and you won't have another debt to worry about.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

2010 Ford Fusion vs. Mazda 6, Honda Accord - CAR and DRIVER - YouTube
This might help make the choice a little but easier..
Very intersting. I think the Fusion is out based on what is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive