Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 PM

8,600 posts, read 11,034,824 times

Advertisements

I think that statement about turtle wax is bogus at best.
I have been using turtle wax for over forty years, and never once had any kind of scratches or swirls from using it.
I think the statement about it causing these things is because the user of the product obviously didn't know how to use it.
Any wax will swirl if one doesn't know how to use it.
Perhaps there is no better example of a flawless, or not so flawless wax job than that done on a black vehicle.
Above you saw the picture of my black 78 Continental , and in this post, my 2002 Dakota R/T.
Both of these vehicles have had turtle wax applied without the slightest flaw.
Never any swirls, and that would most definitely show up on a black vehicle.
The Dakota is ten years old, and looks better than the night I purchased in in August of 2002.
Again, if you want a spectacular looking vehicle (and it's age doesn't matter), you need just a few things, and they are, time, and good products, and determination to keep the vehicle looking good.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Going to clay and wax my car this weekend, any pointers?-my2002rt.jpg  

Last edited by CALGUY; 05-26-2012 at 12:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 AM

3,565 posts, read 8,001,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think that statement about turtle wax is bogus at best.
I have been using turtle wax for over forty years, and never once had any kind of scratches or swirls from using it.
I think the statement about it causing these tings is because the user of the product obviously didn't know how to use it.
Any wax will swirl if one doesn't know how to use it.
Bob.
Not all Turtle Wax products are bad, but I would recommend staying away from their polishing compound. It can inflict swirls. I polished a white Ford 500 with it and had to go back over it with Meguiar's to correct the inflicted swirls. Meguiar's polishing compounds are very safe and finish out nicely. That said, I'm sure Turtle Wax's washes and waxes are just fine, but I do prefer Meguiar's. Meguiar's products are top notch.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 AM

8,600 posts, read 11,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Not all Turtle Wax products are bad, but I would recommend staying away from their polishing compound. It can inflict swirls. I polished a white Ford 500 with it and had to go back over it with Meguiar's to correct the inflicted swirls. Meguiar's polishing compounds are very safe and finish out nicely. That said, I'm sure Turtle Wax's washes and waxes are just fine, but I do prefer Meguiar's. Meguiar's products are top notch.

Any product, and I don't care which one, is only as good as the person using it.
Bob.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 AM

3,565 posts, read 8,001,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Any product, and I don't care which one, is only as good as the person using it.
Bob.
I'm not going to argue with you. I know what I'm doing and follow instructions. You should have garnered that from my post since you read it. If you search online, you'll find others have had the same problem with Turtle Wax's polishing compound. People reading this should give me the benefit of the doubt and save themself the trouble and avoid Turtle Wax's polishing compound. Turtle Wax's polishing compound product is more like a rubbing compound in its effect and I would not recommend using it as a pre-wax polish/cleaning product like I would Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or even Meguiar's equivalent polishing compund paste in a can, which are both safe and effective.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient...w=1311&bih=541

Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 AM

2,176 posts, read 3,405,879 times
I started out using Turtle Wax products but switched to Meguiar's a few years ago and haven't looked back. Meg's is on the pricier end of the spectrum but they make excellent stuff. I prefer Meg's Nxt Tech 2.0 wax.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:56 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,666,347 times
You use dish soap as often as you clay, once maybe twice a year. It won't kill the paint.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,666,347 times
For quick waxing I used meguiars nxt. When I was more hardcore I was into zaino products(popular in the vette circles) but a lot of autotopia snobs look down on it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 AM

774 posts, read 2,606,846 times
Wash it with a good quality car soap. I like the Rain-X stuff as it foams real well.

Rinse it WELL.

Dry it.

Park the car in the shade or garage and let it cool.

Clay bar it in the shade. Use tons of the spray lube.

Wipe it off before it drys. Flip the clay often.

Polish with a good quality product on a random orbital hand buffer.

2 coats of wax applied with a random orbital hand buffer.

Remove wax with a soft terry cloth.

That is all there is too it. I personally like Mother products as i've had very good luck with them over the years.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,491,842 times
Ya do not use dish soap. I know you want to get rid of remaining wax and tar but that is not needed. What you do not want to do is damage the clear coat. Use professional products after hand washing your car. I have always used Meguiars.

Their products are decent price and excellent results. Also, you probably do not need to clay right now. Claying is used when you have done a lot of no care to your paint. If you are routinely hand washing your car you do not need to clay.

So:

Hand wash with a soft cloth, hand dry. As above there is a good polish that will clean the paint, that is the most you need. Then make sure to get a nice coating of wax. You can polish just fine with some elbow grease.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:24 PM

792 posts, read 2,880,443 times
This may be heresy, but... Nu Finish it? I only say this because you haven't waxed in 10 months, so maybe all you want is protection and a decent shine, with out the time and effort of waxing and polishing. Sure, the shine won't be as good, but it's decent and if you don't wash your car a lot, who will know? Also, you can apply in the sun, it's easy to put on, and it's really tough. It's kept my paint looking new for 15 years.

Last edited by JBPisgah; 05-26-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive