Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

I loved the El Caminos !

Right, we're not looking for anything too heavy-duty, we have little time to play around on rocks (I'm in Florida anyway......not a rock in sight ).

6 cylinders is plenty for us, while a monster V8 might be fun from time to time, we really won't make decent enough use of it to warrant the gas usage - a 6 cylinder is suitable for us and more responsible considering our true usage.

The 6 cylinder engines seem quite strong in horsepower on both the FJ and the Ridgeline from what the specs say. My Pilot is a 6 cylinder with 245hp, I believe, and we've loaded it up with people (used all 3 rows !) and it's done just fine, so a similar engine would be suitable.

The FJ's towing capacity is superior though, and that may come in handy in the future with a few plans we have, so that's a definite strong point for the FJ vote.

The looks of the vehicle is a very low priority for us. My husband says he's already married, so who is he out to impress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
lol

Very true. Ok, the El Camino comparison was a little out there, but it was the only thing I could think of that showcased a car/truck mix of personalities. And if youre not towing anything more than a motorcycle, the Ridgeline should suit you just fine.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
lol

Very true. Ok, the El Camino comparison was a little out there, but it was the only thing I could think of that showcased a car/truck mix of personalities. And if youre not towing anything more than a motorcycle, the Ridgeline should suit you just fine.
Possible tows:

pair of Sea-Doos

pair of Vespas

small cargo trailer (like one of those small WellsCargo ones)

maybe a small motorboat in the future

For unloading down a launch (for Sea-Doos or a small boat), I might feel more secure with the FJ, but I think the Ridgeline could do the job (our 6-cylinder Jeep managed just fine).

So maybe not the El Camino, but maybe the Subaru Baja?!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
For unloading down a launch (for Sea-Doos or a small boat), I might feel more secure with the FJ, but I think the Ridgeline could do the job (our 6-cylinder Jeep managed just fine).
A friend uses his Ridgeline to pull his 24' pontoon boat and says that he doesn't have any issues. He went from an Avalanche to the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline shifts more when pulling hills with the boat, but he claims that it doesn't struggle.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 AM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
You're comparing an apple to an orange.

The new FJ series Land Cruiser (For those who do not know the FJ Cruiser is a revival of the old FJ series which went out in 1984) is a fantastic vehicle and is a beast off road. Totally dependable, I have been driving my new FJ for 13 months with no problems whatsoever. I own a 1978 FJ which has 400,000 miles on it.

As far as blind spots go, if you are a good driver it will not bother you after driving it a couple of days. If you are a bad driver, you might want to look into a SUV with a lot more open window space. I myself have no problems driving my FJ.

On the price, the FJ is NOT a cheap vehicle. Those prices they show for base price are just a lead on. You'll never find an FJ that bare bones anywhere from what I have seen. Mine was $35,000 and it's worth every penny.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post

On the price, the FJ is NOT a cheap vehicle. Those prices they show for base price are just a lead on. You'll never find an FJ that bare bones anywhere from what I have seen. Mine was $35,000 and it's worth every penny.
That's what I was afraid of with Toyota's pricing. There's no way I'm spending $35k for what will essentially be a commuter truck 90% of the time .

Glad to hear you've had no problems with the new FJ and that the blind spot issue is not too big of a deal (I don't think it would be for my husband either).

I know I'm not comparing 2 equal vehicles, it's just the two we like the most and are considering. We definitely need some sort of truck/SUV that is Japanese (reliability is at the top of our criteria) and considering everything in Honda and Toyota's lines, these 2 seem to be the best fit for my husband, but spending over $30k would not be wise considering how quickly he goes through vehicles.

It's a tough decision..........I thought when I posted this, there might possibly be an overwhelming response towards one vehicle over the other, but it seems they really both have their merits and each has its' fans .

Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
A friend uses his Ridgeline to pull his 24' pontoon boat and says that he doesn't have any issues. He went from an Avalanche to the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline shifts more when pulling hills with the boat, but he claims that it doesn't struggle.
Thanks 8 Snake . The only hill here would be the launch itself, so the Ridgeline sounds like it could handle what we'd need just fine.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:43 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's what I was afraid of with Toyota's pricing. There's no way I'm spending $35k for what will essentially be a commuter truck 90% of the time .

Glad to hear you've had no problems with the new FJ and that the blind spot issue is not too big of a deal (I don't think it would be for my husband either).

I know I'm not comparing 2 equal vehicles, it's just the two we like the most and are considering. We definitely need some sort of truck/SUV that is Japanese (reliability is at the top of our criteria) and considering everything in Honda and Toyota's lines, these 2 seem to be the best fit for my husband, but spending over $30k would not be wise considering how quickly he goes through vehicles.

It's a tough decision..........I thought when I posted this, there might possibly be an overwhelming response towards one vehicle over the other, but it seems they really both have their merits and each has its' fans .
There are people who find them for around $27K - $29K as well. I just happened to get one with all but a couple of options.

As far as reliability goes, you just can't beat Japanese. I would also look at a Nissan as well if you like an SUV. My buddy is looking at a Nissan Xterra at the moment, as he is in about the same price bracket as you. He has done a lot of research and there have been major changes in the Xterra in the past two years. Performance is GREATLY improved, lots more power and better off road abilities as well. Take a look - lookin is free ya know.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:33 PM

57 posts, read 167,551 times
I would go with the FJ,they are awesome,and if you wanted to sell it down the road they do hold there price,I am a Toyota fan I have a 05 sequoia and love it,I hope which ever you pick that you are happy with it,Good luck

Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 PM

21 posts, read 49,518 times
I have been offroading in an FJ in Nevada and was impressed with the traction it got. Also the power is very good, but like others are saying, the visibility is not that great. The interior is basic and a little mud inside wouldn't hurt at all.

I have not been in the Ridgeline, but knowing Honda's reputation, I would think it would be a safe bet, especially for your needs in sunny Florida ( where there are no rocks ).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive