Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,540,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I despise these new type of "urban people" .. They act as if they're living the life, but instead are stuck living in a dirty, filthy studio box close to the city centre paying a fortune while at the same time being strapped to their fees and ever increasing debt, student loans etc.. They're the ultimate disconnected people, they lack social skills, and are sitting in the bus with the homeless guy who hasn't showered in years, texting in their phones..

Nice generalizations and stereotypes. You know it's possible to live in a house in an urban area?

You're all railing against such a small number of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM

662 posts, read 1,230,221 times
Quote:
Remember one thing, that's the Automotive industry is the backbone of the economy..
We know that but I am not so sure about the goofballs in power. They appear to think that the government itself is the backbone of everything (e.g. the "you didn't build this, we did" quote) and that government employees, the legal industry, and entertainment are the most important market segments, with banking following closely behind. (If you don't have the bankers on board, how will you be able to sell your massive amount of poor-yielding government debt or have the IRS know every last thing about every last cent anybody has?) They couldn't give two shakes less about manufacturing except that some plants have unions and unions are a major big-government supporter.

Quote:
So you can be rest assured that the government will not alter the revenue maker.. Take Europe as an example, with all those regulations affecting the automobile, look at the terrible state of thir economy..
Correct. They refuse to affect their revenue sources- campaign contributors! The administration refuses to rein in lawyers and cut the number of government workers. They lobbied for the horrible SOPA and ACTA (benefits the entertainment industry mightily) and refused to let the failed banks fail. They also bailed out the UAW. All of those groups gave contributions heavily to the administration. The government doesn't care about tax revenues other than using them as a weapon to punish people who they don't like and who do things they don't like. They are perfectly fine with running massive deficits as the recurrent debt debacles ALL demonstrated. They don't give two shakes about the actual manufacturing, else they'd loosen the EPA noose from around the necks of the manufacturers and wouldn't make idiotic statements like "we are going to bankrupt the coal industry"- and manufacturing uses a lot of coal and coal power.

Quote:
In fact, the air coming out the exhuast of new cars is cleaner then the air going in!
Yet the EPA continues to have ever more strict regulations. Now they are regulating carbon dioxide emissions because of the junk global warming debacle- that's a lot of the push behind CAFE now and why a lot of cars are the anemic little jelly beans they are right now. Regulating carbon dioxide essentially allows them to regulate everything that directly or indirectly produces or consumes energy, which is to say almost everything. And that is regulation without one lick of public oversight or approval because it comes straight from the EPA. That is an absolute liberal rule-by-fiat wet dream right there. That will be guaranteed to affect manufacturing and ensure we stay in a depression for at least another decade and have to ride buses or drive golf carts or bicycles.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:

I despise these new type of "urban people" .. They act as if they're living the life, but instead are stuck living in a dirty, filthy studio box close to the city centre paying a fortune while at the same time being strapped to their fees and ever increasing debt, student loans etc.. They're the ultimate disconnected people, they lack social skills, and are sitting in the bus with the homeless guy who hasn't showered in years, texting in their phones..

That's a terrible life, but It's all good with me if it means getting these urbanerz who otherwise would be driving on the same road as I do..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Nice generalizations and stereotypes. You know it's possible to live in a house in an urban area?

You're all railing against such a small number of people.
They may be small in number but they're the ones who are always quoted and used as examples of "how it should be".

And once they tire of their urban lifestyle they move here, to t he exurban areas, and start to pollute things here with their constant whining about how they miss the city life and why can't someone open a cute/avant garde/cutting edge_________________.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,239,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
We know that but I am not so sure about the goofballs in power. They appear to think that the government itself is the backbone of everything (e.g. the "you didn't build this, we did" quote) and that government employees, the legal industry, and entertainment are the most important market segments, with banking following closely behind. (If you don't have the bankers on board, how will you be able to sell your massive amount of poor-yielding government debt or have the IRS know every last thing about every last cent anybody has?) They couldn't give two shakes less about manufacturing except that some plants have unions and unions are a major big-government supporter.

Correct. They refuse to affect their revenue sources- campaign contributors! The administration refuses to rein in lawyers and cut the number of government workers. They lobbied for the horrible SOPA and ACTA (benefits the entertainment industry mightily) and refused to let the failed banks fail. They also bailed out the UAW. All of those groups gave contributions heavily to the administration. The government doesn't care about tax revenues other than using them as a weapon to punish people who they don't like and who do things they don't like. They are perfectly fine with running massive deficits as the recurrent debt debacles ALL demonstrated. They don't give two shakes about the actual manufacturing, else they'd loosen the EPA noose from around the necks of the manufacturers and wouldn't make idiotic statements like "we are going to bankrupt the coal industry"- and manufacturing uses a lot of coal and coal power.

Yet the EPA continues to have ever more strict regulations. Now they are regulating carbon dioxide emissions because of the junk global warming debacle- that's a lot of the push behind CAFE now and why a lot of cars are the anemic little jelly beans they are right now. Regulating carbon dioxide essentially allows them to regulate everything that directly or indirectly produces or consumes energy, which is to say almost everything. And that is regulation without one lick of public oversight or approval because it comes straight from the EPA. That is an absolute liberal rule-by-fiat wet dream right there. That will be guaranteed to affect manufacturing and ensure we stay in a depression for at least another decade and have to ride buses or drive golf carts or bicycles.
Very well said..

Conclusion, the country needs a dose of some right-wingers

Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They may be small in number but they're the ones who are always quoted and used as examples of "how it should be".

And once they tire of their urban lifestyle they move here, to t he exurban areas, and start to pollute things here with their constant whining about how they miss the city life and why can't someone open a cute/avant garde/cutting edge_________________.
Used by whom?

I definitely understand your frustration with the changes brought to Southern MD. However, are the hipsters of H street really moving out to Calvert County when they have kids? The jump from 400 sq foot studio (as that is the falsely purported dwelling of anyone who lives in the city) to Beazer townhome in a former tobacco field seems unlikely. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Actually NBP, I think the answer would be to create cities where a middle class is more viable. ... that way they stay out of your hair down there, and cities once again become places for middle class people with kids.

One way to do this - quit subsidizing unbelievably profitable gas companies. Price of gas goes up, people start looking at the modest homes of Deanwood and abandoned properties in SE to renovate, since the drive from Calvert, Charles and St marys has been made unaffordable. Schools improve, development in your neck of the woods ceases.

And there was much rejoicing.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 AM

45,552 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Used by whom?

I definitely understand your frustration with the changes brought to Southern MD. However, are the hipsters of H street really moving out to Calvert County when they have kids? The jump from 400 sq foot studio (as that is the falsely purported dwelling of anyone who lives in the city) to Beazer townhome in a former tobacco field seems unlikely. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
We have our share of hipsters, or hipster pretenders, coming here. Usually they take the form of overeducated (said the guy with several degrees) yuppies (would have been the word, maybe) who extoll the virtues of changing Zoning laws to allow more condos (in an area where building condos is the path to Bankruptcy Court for a developer) while sitting in their 3000 sq. ft. SFH housing two residents.

So yes, the demographics of who is moving to my slice of SoMD has changed the last several years to include DC expatriates from Capitol Hill, DuPont Circle and other neighborhoods.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,054,450 times
I like watching old movies & tv shows. Alot of old & nice cars. They of course were new or just a few yrs old at the time of filming. Adam-12 & Dragnet are a few of the shows.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,874,719 times
Um, I'm not so sure everything is as political or right/left as we try to make it sound.
If nothing were in the way to stop me, I'd live out in the literal middle of nowhere. BUT, growing up, I was always fascinated by big cities. Tall buildings. Downtowns. Even in my little hicktown in Arkansas I day-dreamed of how cool the little downtown could be.
This was waaaayyyyy long before it was even remotely trendy, and before the enviro-people starting pushing back towards the cities.
Nobody told me or showed me to think that way. That's just what I liked. Older stuff. Older ways of doing things.
Life less reliant on a car, not because cars were evil, but I just thought I was missing out on something by driving in a shell to every thing imaginable. That lifestyle wore me down. If that's what other people like, fine by me.

I think the current oddity of younger people not being into cars as much as previous generations have several reasons behind it.
Economics, of course.
A lot more things compete for young people's interests nowadays. Remember when one rock band could sell out a tour full of football stadiums? Then music diversified immensely to the point pretty well-known bands are sometimes lucky to fill half a basketball arena.
Sports used to be more monolithic, but now half the people in a major-league town may not know who the local star baseball player is. I think cars are the same way.
With computers, video games and whatever else technology, perhaps people that used to be drawn to autos find themselves preoccupied with other things instead.
And then there are the cruising bans. If you can't cruise, what's the point of having a car when you're a teenager? Seriously, growing up, that was the main purpose of getting a car. If it weren't for wanting to show your own ride off a little, mom and dad's Datsun would serve your needs just fine.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,695,919 times
Quote:
Nice generalizations and stereotypes.
That reminds me! Most young people are third-world immigrants and don't know or care about your vintage Camaro, or Ferrari even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive