Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,273 times

Advertisements

hey guys,
i browsed around a bit and i have few questions?
i am trying to replace my spark plugs on my Honda Accord 06 Hybrid...i was reading the thread for: "things to diy and not paying a mechanic"
well it seems that after replacing the plugs, i have to set the voltage for them or does it depends on cars?
and also does using a different spark plug (brand) has an impact on gas consumption MPGs? i have bought the spark plugs from Honda dealer and the brand is Denso iridium that they gave me...
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 AM

886 posts, read 5,714,543 times
You dont have to set the voltage. You have to set the gap on most plugs. But with the ones that you have if they are not right then you have to throw them away and get a different plug. Then you try to gap the IR plugs it will damage the electrode.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I rarely have to change the gap on any pllugs. They are usually correct right out of the box.

When you change them only emove one wire at a time and one plug at a time. Do not touch the other plugs or wires until you have replaced the first one and reattached the wire. It is also a goot idea to put tape with numbers on each wire and write down where the number goes. If you mix up the wires, you will have a big mess on your hands.

Normally no difference in mileage. Just make sure that the plugs are right for your car. There is a difference in longevity with various types of plugs.

This is probably one of the ten easiest things that you can DIY, as long as you do them one at a time and do not mix up the wires. About the only other thing you can do wrong is not get the lug all the way in (or worse get it cross-threaded), or not seat the wires fully (you really have to push and push and push harder then push some more even harder. Kind of like delivering a baby I think. Some pop right on, some a a PIA.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
There is no voltage setting, only a gap (distance between the base and electrode on the tip of the plug), but even that is almost a non-issue as almost all plugs come pregapped these days. As for impacting MPGs by brand of plug, not really. You can change to different temperature range plugs, etc. but that is more for performance minded people with modified vehicles. Overall, what the dealer handed you is going to "plug and play"...no pun intended. If you do get any benefit out of it in terms of MPG or performance, it will be simply because you changed the plugs, not anything to do with the plug itself being better or worse.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeahdj View Post
hey guys,
i browsed around a bit and i have few questions?
i am trying to replace my spark plugs on my Honda Accord 06 Hybrid...i was reading the thread for: "things to diy and not paying a mechanic"
well it seems that after replacing the plugs, i have to set the voltage for them or does it depends on cars?
and also does using a different spark plug (brand) has an impact on gas consumption MPGs? i have bought the spark plugs from Honda dealer and the brand is Denso iridium that they gave me...
thanks
I have never heard of "setting the voltage" for spark plugs. Ever.

Also, the Iridium plugs you got were probably over-priced from the Honda dealer ($8 - $9 each?), but they'll do great. I don't believe you have to set the gap on those particular plugs.

When I'm replacing plugs, I use a little dielectric grease on the connector, and a little anti-sieze goop on the threads.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
Good on you to tackle the DIY stuff! Another piece of advice, DO NOT CROSS THREAD THE PLUGS!!!!! I'm guessing your engine has aluminum heads (most new ones do), so the risk is even greater. There are a few tricks to help you keep from doing this:

1. Only do the work with the engine ice cold. If possible, get it wherever you will be doing the work the night before and let it sit overnight. If it has to be run right before the job, move it as quick as possible.

2. Thread the plugs in by hand. If you cannot reach, use an extension on the socket, but still only thread that by hand. Use the wrench only at the end, and remember that plugs don't go in He-Man tight. If you have a torque wrench and can find Honda's recommended torque spec, use it. If not, use good judgment.

3. Use anti-seize on the threads to make it easier the next time around.

4. Use a socket designed specifically for spark plugs. For automotive applications, it will be one of two sizes, so you'll have to figure out which you need. The difference is a spark plug socket has a rubber boot in the end to protect the ceramic on the spark plug during installation.

5. One PITA on OHC engines is trying to fish out the spark plug socket if it comes off the end of the extension when you're trying to pull everything back off after installing the plug. To combat this, I use a locking extension. The one I use has a button on the side near the top that unlocks the socket from the end. VERY handy.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 AM

13 posts, read 44,716 times
Hi
To replace spark plugs is easy diy. Only check size of spark plugs you two types of sizes 16 socket or 21.If this is your first time each plug wires must be fitted back to the plugs you removed. I f you mix the plugs wires is going to cause your car engine back fire. On the most car fuel injection they small plugs size 16. And you buy them from dealership Honda they not make mistake. Know you know how to change your spark plugs why you don't learn what are the spark plugs problems?
Diagnosing Spark Plug Problems
When we are talking about automotive electrical system, how can we miss on the spark plugs. Spark Plugs, as the Wikipedia defines, are electrical device that fits into the cylinder head of some internal combustion engines and ignites compressed aerosol gasoline by means of an electric spark. Often, a little problem with the spark plug is the reason behind the breakdown of the vehicle in the middle of road. A little maintenance and few D-I-Y tips will help you keep these auto parts in place. But before that for repair, you need to know the common problems behind spark plugs. Lets together find out the common spark plug problems.
Problems With Your Spark Plug

There are times, when your car's engine cranks, isn't it? but then, nothing happen after, i.e. it doesn't start after that. this is possible because of the spark plug.
in some cases, the engine might run. after that, it often misfires. check for any worn out spark plug. in such a case, it is possible that these auto parts have either fouled or probably the reason is bad spark plug wires
high or low voltage also indicate problem. on an oscilloscope, if you observe the firing pattern of each cylinder, you might be able to diagnose the problems yourself. if the firing voltage is noticed to be normal, it means there is excessive resistance in a plug wire. other possibilities can be loose plug wire, badly worn or too wide spark plug.
in case you notice that there is a lower voltage in firing pattern, then it indicates, a damaged or shortened plug wire.
fouling is something that should be avoided. One important cause of it is deposits of oil or fuel upon the plug electrodes.
Reasons Why You Need To Change the Spark Plugs

There are a number of factors that can be the cause for replacement of spark plugs, on the bottom you find some more factors. Some of them are:

Fouling - In case you notice that there is a single fouled spark plug, you need to be cautious and get it replaced soon. Otherwise, you might have to suffer the loss of 25% of output of four cylinder engines.
For Preventive Maintenance - This is always suggested as to avoid any major auto repair.
Due to Worn Out Electrodes - That increases the distance between the electrodes and finally increases the firing voltage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive