Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM

752 posts, read 1,165,176 times

Advertisements

I replaced spark plugs at my F250 ld 99 with 4.6 engine that is known to blow out spark plugs and threads of aluminum head with it. I used torque wrench, thread chaser, nickel antiseize. I replaced it at 108K. When is time to check torque of spark plugs so they do not get loose? 5K or 10K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
On those select Fords that have that problem, there is no wrong time to recheck the torque.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
I have never rechecked torque on spark plugs that were properly installed. The only ones I have ever seen back out were either the wrong type of plug or were not torqued enough when installed.

What is the base cause for problems on this particular engine?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Does not make sense to *re-torque*, if you take into account that spark plugs should always be installed with *NEW* washers, when removed and then re-installed for inspection.

Install without any *aid* with a new washer, finger tight, then torque to the specified torque and leave it alone.
Use the torque wrench to make it *click* once and then leave it alone !
You re-torque, you crush that washer more and more until it does not work as intended !

The specified torque should NOT have completely crushed the *new washer*.

On connections that use a solid flat washer, torque is applied so that the resulting friction will *hold* the connection tight.
A spark plug washer uses the resulting *spring action* of the shape of the washer to hold the plug in place.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
What is the base cause for problems on this particular engine?
Only 3 threads in aluminum head. Well known problem and entire industry grow up how to fix it, Timeserts etc. I do not check spark plugs at other cars either.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Torque specs are likely now throw out the window with the addtion of anti-seize as it serves as a lubricant. You can still tighten to the specs but actual force of the plug face/washer to the head has now exceeded the recommended level.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Torque specs are likely now throw out the window with the addtion of anti-seize as it serves as a lubricant. You can still tighten to the specs but actual force of the plug face/washer to the head has now exceeded the recommended level.
Of course with antiseize I count 10-15% less of torque. Nothing new there, it is all across internet.
I’m big fan of antiseize and dielectric grease as it proof it work countless times.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Only 3 threads in aluminum head. Well known problem and entire industry grow up how to fix it, Timeserts etc. I do not check spark plugs at other cars either.
Funny you brought up Timeserts, not a lot of people know that is the only way to go on that repair. Everyones first thing is to use a Heli-coil

Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,048,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Yeah - truth is, with these engines, all you're really doing is lowering the likelihood that the inevitable will happen. It's a poor design. Most of them end up with a helicoil.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM

So much about spark plugs torque checking.
"Smaller increments can often lead to incorrect readings. For example, it’s almost always a bad idea to take a bolt that has already been tightened to 65 ft-lbs and take it to 70. This is true, and if you find yourself in this situation, you should loosen the bolt and then retighten it to 70 ft-lbs.
Many people think the reason is because a torque wrench isn’t able to measure the 5-pound difference in an already tightened bolt, but this is untrue. The truth is that a bolt that has already been tightened will usually have a breaking point (the amount of pressure that’s required to get it moving again) that’s higher than the amount that it has originally been torque. So, for a bolt that has already been tightened to 65 ft-lbs, the force required to get it moving again could be 5 ft-lbs or more on top of the original 65."
I actually tried to check #1 and it did click even when I set 16 lbft. I know now why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive