Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:38 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,131,086 times

Advertisements

Just bought a used car.

I got it checked out before I bought and they said it was fine, but I have a growing suspicion it is not. Jiffy Lube said the oil hadn't been changed in forever, and I am suspicious it is eating oil. Here's what I want to do.

I'm concerned about the cooling system and the engine. From what I've read, I'm worried about a blown head gasket, cracks in the head or cylinder, and leaks in any part of the cooling/radiator system.

So ... I'm going to ask the mechanic to perform a leak test and a compression test (just looked up on Google).

Should that rule out all problems with engine and leaks in the cooling system? What else should I ask them to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,343,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Just bought a used car.

I got it checked out before I bought and they said it was fine, but I have a growing suspicion it is not. Jiffy Lube said the oil hadn't been changed in forever, and I am suspicious it is eating oil. Here's what I want to do.

I'm concerned about the cooling system and the engine. From what I've read, I'm worried about a blown head gasket, cracks in the head or cylinder, and leaks in any part of the cooling/radiator system.

So ... I'm going to ask the mechanic to perform a leak test and a compression test (just looked up on Google).

Should that rule out all problems with engine and leaks in the cooling system? What else should I ask them to do?

Who did you take it to before you purchased and why would you not trust them since you took it to them in the first place? Go to a reputable dealer or shop that will actually tell you the truth and not charge you for possible repairs that are NOT necessary.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Who did you take it to before you purchased and why would you not trust them since you took it to them in the first place? Go to a reputable dealer or shop that will actually tell you the truth and not charge you for possible repairs that are NOT necessary.
I took it to Midas and they did not catch the fact that the engine oil hadn't been changed in forever and that the heat only works when driving, not idling. Paid them over $100 to look at the car and they said it was AWESOME. Quite pissed about that...

Anyway, I want to know if there is a major problem with the car so I can address it.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,082,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I took it to Midas and they did not catch the fact that the engine oil hadn't been changed in forever and that the heat only works when driving, not idling. Paid them over $100 to look at the car and they said it was AWESOME. Quite pissed about that...

Anyway, I want to know if there is a major problem with the car so I can address it.
First mistake was taking it to Midas, second was taking it to Jiffy Lube for a second opinion, they ALWAYS say the oil is really old and usually want you to buy extra cleaner.

The heat not working when idle(I am guessing you mean it doesn't blow heat) but does at speed is a sign the radiator is low, this needs to be checked when it is cold.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,228,033 times
I agree - neither Midas nor Jiffy Lube are credible places for automotive advice.

If your car has a blown head gasket it would have noticable big problems RIGHT NOW and the car probably would not be drivable.

If your car is eating oil as you suspect it will probably be "burning" oil and generating a visible exhaust even when the engine is warm. A white exhaust when the car is cold is normal because of water vapor. But as the engine warms that goes away.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree - neither Midas nor Jiffy Lube are credible places for automotive advice.

If your car has a blown head gasket it would have noticable big problems RIGHT NOW and the car probably would not be drivable.

If your car is eating oil as you suspect it will probably be "burning" oil and generating a visible exhaust even when the engine is warm. A white exhaust when the car is cold is normal because of water vapor. But as the engine warms that goes away.
No.

None of that. Car drives great and no smoke from the tailpipe or smells.

But I want some piece of mind. HOPEFULLY I am just being paranoid.

So, what test should I tell them to run?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,073,343 times
First of all, stay away from Midas, Jiffy Lube and other chain shops like that.... They absolutely suck! Why do you suspect it's using oil? What kind of car is it (year, brand, model)?

If I were you, I'd take it to either a reputable independant shop or the dealer and have the oil changed and have them look the car over about any potential issues. Also ask them to check all the fluids (especially the coolant) and mention the heater issue and ask them to let you know about any issues... Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
First of all, stay away from Midas, Jiffy Lube and other chain shops like that.... They absolutely suck! Why do you suspect it's using oil? What kind of car is it (year, brand, model)?

If I were you, I'd take it to either a reputable independant shop or the dealer and have the oil changed and have them look the car over about any potential issues. Also ask them to check all the fluids (especially the coolant) and mention the heater issue and ask them to let you know about any issues... Hope this helps.
2005 Civic. One previous owner.

I mean Midas DOES employ mechanics and any mechanic SHOULD have checked the oil to see if it had been changed recently. But I will never take a car to Midas again.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:02 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,700,715 times
Start a service program with the dealership every 3000 miles. They will check the vehicle over all and keep track of what needs to be done and when with their systems. Beware that as vehicles age there is a cost and sometimes this cost will equal a small car payment.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM

120 posts, read 672,585 times
Not trying to defend Midas but Jiffy lube is an oil change shop, its in their interest to tell you that kind of stuff. I think it was on 60 minutes a few years ago, they changed all the fluids in a ford explorer and then took it to one of those lube places and were told all the fluids were old and needed to be changed.

It may or may not be true, a trusted mechanic could tell you for sure. Most of them should be familiar with a "pre-purchase inspection." Get one of those, although yours is now post purchase. I'm not sure how you could even tell if the oil had been changed recently, stick oil in any engine and run it a couple hundred miles and it will come out dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive