Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,145,247 times

Advertisements

I still see 20-30 year old Hondas driving around. Maybe when I start seeing Hyundais that old will I consider buying one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
I hope this on topic!
Did Hyundai pull MPG claims from Super Bowl ad due to watchdog group pressure? [w/video]

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think that cooperation with Mitsubishi is limited to the 2.4L engine, and the R&D is led by Hyundai now, not Mitsubishi. The original "GEMA" effort that included Chrysler is down to Hyundai and Mitsu, heavily influenced by Hyundai.

I think the Hyundai V8 is completely their own design.
I never said Mitsubishi led the R&D, I said "codeveloped with." The two companies have collaborated since the 70s. Your post seemed to imply that Mitsubishi was out of the picture and Hyundai has moved on to bigger and better things without them which is not true. The GEMA/Theta engines are in a majority of their cars and they learned what they know about engine design from practices and techniques they licensed from Mitsubishi. But yes, the shoe has shifted to the other foot in that the base design for Mitubishis's current 4BXX series is from Hyundai, rather then Hyundai using Mitsu's older 4GXX engine architecture like they used too. It just so happens Hyundai had more money to spread around - no big deal. Their new V6 is said to be a copy of Nissan's VQ. Their Tau V8 might be a clean sheet design, so I don't know if it shares anything with the Mitsubishi 8A80 they both used in the old Equus and Proudia. Regardless, they still share engineering tie ups and ongoing collaboration right now.

Last edited by Tourian; 02-06-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I never said Mitsubishi led the R&D, I said "codeveloped with." The two companies have collaborated since the 70s. Your post seemed to imply that Mitsubishi was out of the picture and Hyundai has moved on to bigger and better things without them which is not true. The GEMA/Theta engines are in a majority of their cars and they learned what they know about engine design from practices and techniques they licensed from Mitsubishi. But yes, the shoe has shifted to the other foot in that the base design for Mitubishis's current 4BXX series is from Hyundai, rather then Hyundai using Mitsu's older 4GXX engine architecture like they used too. It just so happens Hyundai had more money to spread around - no big deal. Their new V6 is said to be a copy of Nissan's VQ. Their Tau V8 might be a clean sheet design, so I don't know if it shares anything with the Mitsubishi 8A80 they both used in the old Equus and Proudia. Regardless, they still share engineering tie ups and ongoing collaboration right now.
I said Hyundai was long past the days when they bought engines from Mitsubishi. I never said anything about co-development.

I don't see how Hyundai's V6 is a copy of the VQ. I couldn't find any links that explored that. But maybe I just didn't find it? Bore and stroke are quite different for the 3.5L versions of each brand. And Hyundai's 3.8 is larger in both dimensions from Nissan's 3.7L.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
So far I'm seeing nothing but positive experiences from people who actually drive these cars and negative back talk from those who don't. I've now owned two Hyundais, my current Genesis coupe and a 2002 Accent and both are trouble free. More so than my Infiniti G35 and BMW 530i.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I still see 20-30 year old Hondas driving around. Maybe when I start seeing Hyundais that old will I consider buying one.
+100000 Very well put!

Our family has been very happy with all of the Hondas we have owned. Currently my wife and daughter both drive 2010 Accords. Neither one has needed any repairs after two years.

When Hyundai/Kia has had similarly reliable cars on the road for 10 years, I might consider one... but not now.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:02 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
> How can anyone say Hyundai is as good as Honda or Toyota?

DID someone say that??

I drove a Sorrento rental. It was nice. And I drove a Rio, which wasn't really. Obviously I can't speak to reliability, but I would consider the Sorrento if replacing a Rav 4.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,209 times
Why are people mentioning BMW's and Infinit's. Look at a lot of Hyundai reliability talk, and a lot of it says it's on par with Honda and Toyota. In that case of Hyundai, that would be a MONUMENTAL leap. I never said they weren't getting better, just that I seriously doubt that they are suddenly the best, and there is no data from the early adopters to say oh yea, their cars are good now.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
Adding my two cents about Hyundai, we had a 1988 Excel and 1996 Sonata. Both vehicles were kept for 7 or 8 years, and over 80,000 without any mechanical problems with either vehicle.

Brakes weren't great on either vehicle, and the Excel developed some squeaks and rattles after about 5 years, but both vehicles started every single time and never failed to get us where we were going.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,177 times
Every carmaker knows exactly what is wrong with every car they make. They know how well each component is engineered, and how long each component will last. That is why most cars will collectively self-destruct quite rapidly when they reach a certain point in their lifetime. All parts reach the end of their lives at once, and the design engineers know twhen that will be, because it was intended to happen.

There is absolutely nothing stopping a car maker from deciding all of a sudden to start making better cars. They all know how to make better cars---the only variable is whether making a better car is the tactic they settle on to try to make the most money. Even compnents that are outsourced, are made according to Hyundai's specs and quality control, whether it's a sending unit or a whole gearbox.

It remains to be seen, by the consumers, just how long a Hyundai alternator or water pump or brake cylinder or AC compressor will last. But Hyunday knows. They won't tell us, and nobody would believe them if they did. But there is a growing consesus of knowledgeable car people that they just might be making a much better car. There is no doubt that they could if they wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive