Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,890,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Recently in another picture of kim jong il taken while greeting some dignitary, it showed a bunch of Ford F-350 trucks in the background.

If you do a search on the internet you'll find all sorts of info about his intermediaries/buyers all over the world that secure whatever he wanted. Pretty much everything he ate, owned, slept on, came in internationally and it was all the best stuff money could buy. He even had a rotating plethora of all the best hookers the world could offer.
An American who managed to go to NK on the Koryo tour took photos inside of the national Kim Jong Il museum or whatever they call it, which housed some of the "gifts" that Kim received from foreign leaders, businesspeople who wanted to do business in NK, etc. There were living room sets that looked like they came out of Rent-A-Center, alongside a basketball signed by Michael Jordan and Kareem Abdul Jabar, high-end stereo equipment spanning a few decades, and a spattering of curio going all up and down the gmaut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,888,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I just had a thought on those Mercedes: what if they don't belong to North Korea? What if they were utilized by some visiting Chinese dignitaries? Or they could be North Korean, who knows? Very interesting.
They were probably bought from China since MB has a plant there in Bejing and NK and China have ties to each other.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM

78,642 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I just saw a show last night on North Korea. How he dictated that everything had to be Korean made in country, and after he died you see this and hear of all the other things he had that we probably made. I didn't know of all the prison camps he kept people in, 23 of them I think with 50,000+ people in each one, people put there for doing almost nothing. Just say the wrong thing, or a hint of anything against the Gov. and you are sent there.
One guard that defected to SK was on the show talking, he was told to treat prisioners as non people. They can kill you at anytime for doing little or nothing. You get caught doing something, even minor, you and ALL your family and relatives go to prison with you, and you will die there. They treat people like this, yet the people go nuts for him when he dies.
Knowing about the camps etc.....the smart NK's are definitely weeping and carrying on....out of fear of going to those camps.

It's like the early 1900's China with Mao.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,809,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I will say though, I bet that the guys that built these things - on the UAW line as well as at the coachbuilder - had no idea that they would someday end up being shipped illegally across the globe, used in the funerals of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il, and used in parades in front of millions of oppressed people during the interceding three and a half decades.

I'd just have figured it'd spend a few years shuttling around some rich dude and then getting used in livery for ten years before being owned by a pimp/drug dealer or scrapped...
Right. If only they could talk. I imagine they didn't have many miles on them and were kept in nice garages, but still.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,704,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
They were probably bought from China since MB has a plant there in Bejing and NK and China have ties to each other.
The regime has buyers in Europe that buys them 200 at a time and ships them back. jong il even had a few Maybachs and it's rumored his sons have some supercars.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Mercury had a more slanted rear end.
The Mercury coupe had a "slanted" rear end not the sedan.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Holy moley! That's a darn good catch! The taillight in that one picture looked a lot like a Lincoln Continental, though, didn't it? Or did they use the same taillight on the Mercury? I'm going on eBayMotors right now to check out '78 Mercurys!
I owned a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis back in the day with a big block 460 cu. in. engine. That car was plush to the max with a cloud like ride but very hungry.

Kept that car until sometime in the 1990's when our son wrecked it going to our local college one fine day. Wife wanted to fix it but there was to much major damage. Our son walked away from the wreck without a scratch so the old Merc did it's job right to the end.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,362,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Kim Jong Il car is a '75-'76 model, the '77-'78 models had the more narrow grill.

What's weird is seeing all those newer Mercedes behind that old boat.
Not "old boat," "old luxury car." Back when luxury cars were actually big!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,318,343 times
All 1975 thru 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis cars have the same back end slope, two door or four door makes no difference.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,081,709 times
I can understand people being upset over the death of their leader but the NK reaction is WAY overboard, the crowds are all freaked out and even the announcer in the one video has a quivering voice, yes I know some of that may be an act.

So much for the NK isolation policy, use a 30 year old modified American car for official parades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive