Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,811,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Wow. I ALMOST thought it was a Lincoln, but ZiLs looked so similar, even I was fooled. I'm flabbergasted. Where do they get parts? How do they keep them running? Amazing.

And I find it truly ironic that the "Great Leader" of the last Stalinist dictatorship on the planet took his final journey on top of......an American car product of the capitalist Ford Motor Co.

What an honor for Ford. Wonder what they're thinking of in Detroit.
Interesting thought process. Consider the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The NK gov't probably ordered a number of them and then shipped them from the US to a foreign country that didn't have a trade embargo on, and then back to NK.
It is very possible that Ford had no idea where these cars ended up. Especially since they are coachbuilder cars. They were sold to the coachbuilder and then coachbuilder sold them to someone else. So you don't really have to "wonder" what they were thinking in Detroit, all they did was sell a car to a legitimate American business.

I'm just curious what you think of the Toyota Hilux (and Nissan Patrols and Mitsubishi Tritons) that are in use in third world countries as tehcnicals for all the dictatorships and terrorist organizations there. Do you share the same disdain for Japan? Or if you're saying how Ford feels about it, I imagine they don't really care. The cars have been debadged.

FYI, every car deal today has the buyer's name run past OFAC to make sure vehicles aren't sold to blacklisted embargoed countries or foreign druglord kingpins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,033,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is very possible that Ford had no idea where these cars ended up. Especially since they are coachbuilder cars. They were sold to the coachbuilder and then coachbuilder sold them to someone else. So you don't really have to "wonder" what they were thinking in Detroit, all they did was sell a car to a legitimate American business.

I'm just curious what you think of the Toyota Hilux (and Nissan Patrols and Mitsubishi Tritons) that are in use in third world countries as tehcnicals for all the dictatorships and terrorist organizations there. Do you share the same disdain for Japan?
Yeah, back in the 40s Packards were used by Stalin, before they copied it to make ZIS/ZIL cars. Packards were also used by Soviet embassies into the 50s.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:56 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,891,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Interesting thought process. Consider the following:

I'm just curious what you think of the Toyota Hilux (and Nissan Patrols and Mitsubishi Tritons) that are in use in third world countries as tehcnicals for all the dictatorships and terrorist organizations there. Do you share the same disdain for Japan? Or if you're saying how Ford feels about it, I imagine they don't really care. The cars have been debadged.

FYI, every car deal today has the buyer's name run past OFAC to make sure vehicles aren't sold to blacklisted embargoed countries or foreign druglord kingpins.
Oh, I can guarantee they and the coachbuilder had no idea. When I worked for Lexus, a Korean businessman purchased a few LX470's, RX330's, and LS430's from us as well as a couple other Lexus dealers in the area, cash; not an excessively abnormal thing to do, plenty of people who work for Asian or Middle Eastern companies or embassies would do the same thing for incoming higher-ups and staff. When I worked for Chevy, I had people come from Japan, Russia, Kazakhstan, India, Australia, Mexico, Sweden, Germany, etc etc to buy Corvettes, Suburbans, Avalanches, etc. and ship them back home, so it's not that abnormal. This guy just said that they were for "his business" and made no indication that they would be sent overseas... his ID checked out and he did a wire transfer, and he and his buddies left in a half dozen brand new cars.

A couple months later, an FBI agent came and did an audit of the paperwork because the Lexuses were loaded straight onto a cargo ship in San Pedro, ostensibly to go to the Philippines... and ended up in NK. They investigated us to make sure we had no idea they were North Korean agents that would ship them back home. They had spent years building this guy's fake ID, credit, etc etc before this and there was next to no way a layperson could have seen anything wrong. Pretty crazy stuff!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:15 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,634,472 times
I think NJGoat summarized the situ quite well in posts 6 & 7 of his...weird place via the totalitarian gov't, and the poor starving millions.
I was in Seoul a dozen+ times when I worked, and it was strange to think of that very difficult 'life' < 50 miles to the north.
BR, md

Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,216,690 times
HA! Powerful Communist leader who hates America ends up with American car carrying his portrait. Poetic justice.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM

990 posts, read 2,562,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
HA! Powerful Communist leader who hates America ends up with American car carrying his portrait. Poetic justice.

How about this one....

I worked in a New Jersey town that identifies itself closely with the railroad.

Every year, they did a "railroad day" which among other things featured a steam locomotive.

One year, the train featured President Harry Truman's rail car.

The steam locomotive pulling the train with the Truman car....made in Red China.

Harry must have been spinning like a top!

The sad fact, virtually no one caught the irony...except me.

I attempted to discuss this with a younger co-worker, and what did I get...Who's Harry Truman?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,042,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
How about this one....

I worked in a New Jersey town that identifies itself closely with the railroad.

Every year, they did a "railroad day" which among other things featured a steam locomotive.

One year, the train featured President Harry Truman's rail car.

The steam locomotive pulling the train with the Truman car....made in Red China.

Harry must have been spinning like a top!

The sad fact, virtually no one caught the irony...except me.

I attempted to discuss this with a younger co-worker, and what did I get...Who's Harry Truman?
Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:54 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
Thanks for this thread guys, I, too, thought they looked like a Lincoln, 70's vintage, but figured it had to be a Zil. But, in the clearer pictures, yeah, that's a Lincoln.

Parts requirements for these simple old cars would be easy enough - if they can't get OEM stuff, China makes knock-offs of essentially all the wear parts on these. It's not like car parts are export-controlled technology. Probably no tougher to get parts for these in NK than any other part of Asia really - not a common car there so probably not on the shelf at the local parts store, as if these guys shop at parts stores, or for that matter that auto parts stores exist in NK.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,891,716 times
Can you imagine how badly it's gonna need to be buffed after this?

And here's the old pic I was referring to previously. Note the Continental to the far left of the pic.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,993,168 times
Wow, I'm not the only one with a old 70's Lincoln! I have brochures for a stretch and coach conversion for 71 Lincolns from Eagle Conversions in Dallas TX. The funeral car does have the
75 front end (well, the same grill was used from 74-76). And no, they can't have any of my
parts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive