Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,859,015 times

Advertisements

Hi car folks,
So i have a '97 Subaru Outback.
I haven't had an ashtray in it since i ran over it a few years ago.
I'm house sitting for some friends and they have a garage.
The garage door opener is a very small and rectangular one.
I cannot find it anywhere and i'm pretty sure that it dropped down through the space where the ash tray used to be.
There's a little shelf above it and that's where i always put the garage door opener but i think, because i was a bit spaced out / distracted last night, i put it in the empty space where the ash tray should be.
I also tried to use the cigarette lighter today and it wouldn't work.
Though i'm pretty sure that the space is big enough for the little garage door opener to fall through, it's too small for my had to get back and down.
There's a couple of other do-da's in the front part of the empty space (below where the ashtray would sit).
Anyway, is there anyway to access the garage door opener?
I wouldn't attempt it but can a car person do it?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,258,072 times
Stop smoking. That will solve several problems for you. With the money you save by not smoking 2 packs of cigarettes, go buy an inspection mirror and a small flashlight. The rest should be obvious.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 PM

799 posts, read 1,447,342 times
Try to run a vacuum hose into the opening and move it around until it sucks the remote up.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,385,175 times
should be just a few screws around the cig lighter area that is the "dashboard". shouldnt be hard to take out.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Something in the middle of all this might reach it.

grabber tool - Google Search

Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM

BTW, you're not alone in the "Doing stupid things" category.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Stop smoking. That will solve several problems for you. With the money you save by not smoking 2 packs of cigarettes, go buy an inspection mirror and a small flashlight. The rest should be obvious.
Did the OP state that they smoked? If so I missed it.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What a helpful and kind response.
What the h*** is wrong with you to be so nasty and mean spirited in response to someone who needs a little advice and who the "rest" isn't obvious to at all.
Geesh. Yuck.
(and i smoke just a couple of cigarettes a day)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Thank you everyone else for your tips.
I think, if it did fall down there (i'm not %100 sure that it did), it's not going to be accessible without removing something.
Civic94, i'll check that out but will probably need to take it to a garage.
I'm not one of those women who's too swift with this kind of thing ... more like real duh!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,258,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Did the OP state that they smoked? If so I missed it.
Obviously my assumption was correct...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
What a helpful and kind response.
What the h*** is wrong with you to be so nasty and mean spirited in response to someone who needs a little advice and who the "rest" isn't obvious to at all.
Geesh. Yuck.
(and i smoke just a couple of cigarettes a day)
You think that was nasty and mean spirited? WAAAHHH! I suggested you stop smoking, which can never be viewed as a mean spirited thing to say. Once you buy the tools I mentioned, it should have been obvious to use them to retrieve the garage door opener. That would be a much better use of the money you spend on cigarettes.

Yes, I'm an ex-smoker and as such get on my anti-smoking soapbox sometimes.
Don't get everything all bunched up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive