Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top gear
america 4 6.90%
England 54 93.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,380,170 times

Advertisements

It's definitely interesting to watch the first couple seasons of the most recent iteration of Top Gear UK where there's maybe 25 or 30 audience members standing around in the studio. It took some time for them to get the momentum up but IMO it started clicking pretty well once they brought in May; though others seem to disagree with the notion that May worked well at first. If anything I'd say the chemistry and presentation has diminished somewhat because now it seems like theyr'e scripting the show around a conception of their chemistry rather than letting the chemistry just show through; it's as if the writers are asking themselves, "what would these characters say and do in this situation?" It doesn't feel as organic as it used to.

Meanwhile, I've found the American version to be unwatchable primarily because a) they're trying to copy the UK formula too closely right down to episode concepts; and b) these guys just aren't very entertaining as show presenters. On the first point, it reminds me of the American attempt at the Britcom "Coupling." The UK version was a huge hit and the US version was an absolute flop even though it replicated the UK version almost line-for-line. Some things just don't translate very well from UK to US without substantially "Americanizing" it -- see the success of "The Office" for instance.

Maybe Top Gear US will be able to find its own stride after a couple more years but I don't have high hopes it will still be around by then.

Last edited by Drover; 12-16-2011 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,380,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Clarkson also has a catch phrase or sorts. "(Something about something, dramatic pause)... in the world."
Then there's his other catch-phrase "how hard can it be?" Of course, the invariable answer is "much harder than an oaf like Clarkson could possibly conceive."

Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,943,926 times
I'll watch Top Gear America only if there's not a test pattern or a Public Television fund drive on other channels.

My kid watches Top Gear America because his TV doesn't get BBCA. He doesn't know what he's missing!

Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,218,725 times
HAHAHAH!

Still only 4 votes for the American version.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,236,418 times
What posters here say is true, the American presenters suck in plain English and the shows attempts to mimic the UK show fail miserably...

The American version should concentrate on what Americans like...

What would be enjoyable to watch on the American version?

A race between this hipster car:

http://www.smartcarmodels.net/smart-car-5.jpg (broken link)

And this:

Last edited by plwhit; 12-23-2011 at 08:25 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,043,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What would be enjoyable to watch on the American version?

A race between this hipster car:

And this:
NO, NO, NO! It shouldn't be a race, it should be a tug of war contest That would be entertaining.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM

6,750 posts, read 4,442,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
HAHAHAH!

Still only 4 votes for the American version.
The UK verison has toooo many shows on cars you've never heard of,dont care about, could never afford, and are not even available over here. But they do kind of make it entertaining to watch. No vote either way.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:31 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,184,696 times
I've been selectively watching Topgear UK on Netflix and I must say, the episode where they went to Florida, purchased the "best" cars for $1000, and drove to New Orleans was the best! I was in stitches when they had to write offensive things on their cars and were pelted with rocks from rednecks and had to run for their lives had me in stitches.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:05 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,388,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I've been selectively watching Topgear UK on Netflix and I must say, the episode where they went to Florida, purchased the "best" cars for $1000, and drove to New Orleans was the best! I was in stitches when they had to write offensive things on their cars and were pelted with rocks from rednecks and had to run for their lives had me in stitches.
That was a great episode, but do yourself a favor and find the 2 episodes where they built amphibious cars, they're great.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,189,402 times
Don't watch the UK version if you ever plan to watch the US version. And if you plan to watch TG-US, I'm sure you could make other plans.

The wife (who is British) and I were talking about something similar last evening. She was telling me about watching her first Shakesphere in the US, when the actors came out and started talking she almost lost it as it was not right. It would be like watching a Western with a British cast. Some genres simply don't translate between us and the UK, despite our best intentions. And so it is with TG-US, TG is too British a show to work here with the hosts they came up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive