Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It isn't like you're playing a game on that monitor while you're driving. It's a useful tool with the built in backup cam/nav system/bluetooth phone and other items. It's no different than reaching to change the temperature control, it isn't like you're taking your eyes off the wheel especially when the voice recognition works properly.

I've gotten so used to having one that I don't think I'll have a daily driver without anymore. I do know my way around Phoenix well enough to not use a nav system but it does come in handy when you find yourself in an area you don't normally drive. It's also much safer to answer phone calls through the bluetooth and talk through the speakers than it is to be constantly picking up my phone and fumbling around.
I always have to assume that people who have the opinion of these systems to which you were responding have simply never driven or owned a vehicle that had one. The integration is fantastic as is the user interface. The bulk of things you do are done with voice commands or through steering wheel buttons. On the GM end, they have gone a different direction than Ford and still retain the normal dials for tuning and volume as well as the standard HVAC controls instead of Ford's integration of all of those into capacitive touch buttons or menu commands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
On the GM end, they have gone a different direction than Ford and still retain the normal dials for tuning and volume as well as the standard HVAC controls instead of Ford's integration of all of those into capacitive touch buttons or menu commands.
Ford has changed course a bit. I have a 2012 Focus. I have dedicated buttons/knobs for climate control. Normal dials and buttons. I also have a dial for volume control and tuner/source/track skip on the dashboard (and steering wheel). This is good, since I can have a normal experience or a techie experience.

I haven't used the on screen climate control yet. Only the buttons. Still getting adjusted to these voice commands. I have only used them for navigation and not other functions yet.

It pays to do a full test of all the buttons during your test drive.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I always have to assume that people who have the opinion of these systems to which you were responding have simply never driven or owned a vehicle that had one. The integration is fantastic as is the user interface. The bulk of things you do are done with voice commands or through steering wheel buttons. On the GM end, they have gone a different direction than Ford and still retain the normal dials for tuning and volume as well as the standard HVAC controls instead of Ford's integration of all of those into capacitive touch buttons or menu commands.
Completely agree. If more people, instead of automatically putting new tech down, would go out and DRIVE a vehicle with the myFordTouch or GM's version, they'd probably change their opinion. It's not necessary to have such a system on all cars but it really is pretty nice, most who have it that I know would never go back to a standard radio set-up.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Those big screens in the dashboard are too complicated to play with while driving, along with all those features they have in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep that way you can work the computers as you crash into the back of the car in front of you. Or worse yet have a head on. These things are as bad as DUI drivers.
I'm a long time techie and driver. This stuff scares me for a few reasons.

I'm curious if advocates of these 'integrated' functions in one screen and the related human interface add to driving safety. After the gut level response (since many will likely consider themselves well above average...), please consider a part two followup about how these might affect other drivers with below average abilities perhaps because of youth, age, intelligence, language, or physical impairment such as less than perfect (but still legal) vision or hearing, or simply just any less skilled driver. And just for discussion, consider also heavy traffic at speed, and/or weather impaired and poorly lit conditions, etc. I am really curious.

It will be interesting to see how statistics bear this out over time. I think I have observed an increase in single vehicle rollover, leaving the road, or crossing center line/median accidents, often during perfect daylight conditions in the last few years. These are often first reported as the result of 'unexplained' causes. I don't have any stats to support this. Just observation of the local news. If anyone has seen any stats relating to this it would be interesting.

Oh, and statistics on injuries and fatalities alone aren't that useful here since cars are clearly much better at minimizing bodily injury and death than a decade or two ago.

Just thinkin'

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yep that way you can work the computers as you crash into the back of the car in front of you. Or worse yet have a head on. These things are as bad as DUI drivers.
Yeah. Reading a map or directions while driving is much better.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
My 2010 Challenger has the touch screen, but didn't have the NAV option. So the same set-up if you will, just didn't have that option installed (turned on?).

I didn't have a choice since I was buying one of the last leftovers, but if I had the choice no way I'm paying for the NAV. They wanted over a grand if I remember correctly.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Completely agree. If more people, instead of automatically putting new tech down, would go out and DRIVE a vehicle with the myFordTouch or GM's version, they'd probably change their opinion. It's not necessary to have such a system on all cars but it really is pretty nice, most who have it that I know would never go back to a standard radio set-up.
I agree, I didn't know how useful it would be. I was used to using my smartphone as a gps.

And I didn't have auxiliary ports to plug in my phone or ipod so it is a huge improvement.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I'm a long time techie and driver. This stuff scares me for a few reasons.

I'm curious if advocates of these 'integrated' functions in one screen and the related human interface add to driving safety. After the gut level response (since many will likely consider themselves well above average...), please consider a part two followup about how these might affect other drivers with below average abilities perhaps because of youth, age, intelligence, language, or physical impairment such as less than perfect (but still legal) vision or hearing, or simply just any less skilled driver. And just for discussion, consider also heavy traffic at speed, and/or weather impaired and poorly lit conditions, etc. I am really curious.

It will be interesting to see how statistics bear this out over time. I think I have observed an increase in single vehicle rollover, leaving the road, or crossing center line/median accidents, often during perfect daylight conditions in the last few years. These are often first reported as the result of 'unexplained' causes. I don't have any stats to support this. Just observation of the local news. If anyone has seen any stats relating to this it would be interesting.

Oh, and statistics on injuries and fatalities alone aren't that useful here since cars are clearly much better at minimizing bodily injury and death than a decade or two ago.

Just thinkin'

Cars are rapidly approaching the point which fighter jets have already reached: Sensory overload, which adversely affects the pilots performance. Too many things to keep up with other than the primary focus of operating the vehicle.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Voice control does wonders for limiting driver distraction. MyFordTouch actually eliminates the use of many touch screen features when the car is going above 4 miles an hour. (unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a passenger mode)

Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Cars are rapidly approaching the point which fighter jets have already reached: Sensory overload, which adversely affects the pilots performance. Too many things to keep up with other than the primary focus of operating the vehicle.
What you rather being dogfighting in, a Sopwith Camel (decidedly low "sensory overload"...

...or in a F22 Raptor?

Personally I would take the Raptor, because information is king when it comes to making decisions. It's all about how that information is integrated, displayed and accessed. The better the job at presenting only the necessary information when needed, you can keep down on the "sensory overload" and have a better informed and integrated driver. If you can talk to a passenger sitting in your car or listen to the radio, you are not going to be any more distracted than that when using one of these systems and possibly less so when you aren't reaching for a map, printed directions or scanning for signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive