Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,537 times

Advertisements

I just finish High School and am looking to be an Auto Mechanic. I was told I don't need college. What would my next step be now?[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:22 PM

886 posts, read 5,719,844 times
Who ever told you that you don't need college is full of ****! With all the electronics on today's modern vehicles there is no way that you are going to get any where with out at least a two year degree. I have been bending wrenches for 15 years and I have to go to school at least twice a year just to try and keep up with the ever changing automotive world.

I can tell you if a guy comes to my shop looking for a job and has no experience and no school I am going to laugh him out the door and send him to jiffy lube.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:44 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEFanlol View Post
I just finish High School and am looking to be an Auto Mechanic. I was told I don't need college. What would my next step be now?[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
I don't know if you need college but you do need a qualified mechanics training school.
I would recommend a diesel school/HD trucks.
I used to deliver HD truck parts and the truck shops were always the busiest.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
Yes, more than college you need to develop your trade...lots of ways to do that. A typical way is a vocational school. There are numerous ones around the country, bud i'd probably stay away from the "big name" schools and concentrate on some of the smaller more local schools. Here in St. Louis we have two tech schools. Ours operated primarily as high schools, however i think they had night schooling for adults, which was how my friend got qualified in auto body repair.

One of my roommates from college was an automotive major. My school actually had an automotive technology degree program, that allowed many friends to head out and work for either parts manufacturers, or vehicle manufacture companies in management type roles. Good luck in your choice, worst case, stop in at a local shop, and ask the owner what he'd recommend you do to get a job...maybe they'd let you empty trash and learn the ropes, maybe you'll get some good recommendations for school choices...Also, make sure you spell things like "career" correctly good luck.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:10 PM

859 posts, read 2,831,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWEFanlol View Post

[/LEFT]

First thing first.... Are you absolutly sure you want to be a mechanic??? I am a mechanic and now own my own shop but I will tell you that working in dealers is not a fun job. It hard work for little pay (by comparison to other fields).

If you truly want to work on cars then I highly recommend you get into some type of specialty service like custom interiors, painting, chassis building or something else along those lines. For all of these things you do need to go to a school. I know it's been hyped to death but bar-none the best auto school out there is Wyo-Tech. I never went to school to be a mechanic and it took me a long time to get were I'm at. I have guys working for me that know as much as I do and they are 15 yrs younger.

My honest opinion is choose a different career but if you truly want to mess with cars then go to Wyo-Tech.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 PM

158 posts, read 907,874 times
Back in the day you might have not needed college if you have some experience already, but nowadays most shops won't hire you unless you have some degree and some ASE certifications. I suggest going to UTI.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,754,100 times
No, you don't need a 4 yr college to be a mechanic. You need to go to a vocational school that teaches automotive mechanics. These types of schools should be up to date with the latest electronics and gadgets.

I get my car repaired at a good cheap shop and they use ... Mexicans... I don't know if they're illegal but they do good work on my vehicles... and they're cheap.

I heard of Lincoln Tech as an automotive school in Chicago for a long time. Maybe they're ok?
Lincoln College of Technology

Old 10-15-2011, 04:19 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,658,272 times
I'd be leary of some of the UTI/WYOtech schools. I am a car guy, and met alot of guys who all said most of it was a waste, some said it was good. But cost alot of money and didn't get much out of it.

Your results might be different, but research the school and from non-school related sources.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,140,415 times
Judging by the way you spelled "career", maybe the UAW would hire you, but a mechanic today needs to know A LOT about electronics, besides working with wrenches and screwdrivers.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM

158 posts, read 907,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I heard of Lincoln Tech as an automotive school in Chicago for a long time. Maybe they're ok?
I wouldn't suggest them. I've met a lot of people who went to that school, ended up dropping out and going to UTI in Glendale Heights instead. A lot of people say that Lincoln sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive