Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times

Advertisements

It seems today's cars are the fastest they've ever been. Super sport cars have exceeded 250 mph top speed, economy compact cars can reach 0-60 in 6 seconds (once a relm of actual sports cars a few decades ago), even subcompact economy cars have handling capabilities that were once in the relm of sports cars decades ago. Grocery family sedans are no longer the penalty box for those who enjoy driving fast. These V6 sedans also do 0-60 in about 6 seconds AND can handle the corners well like sports cars of the past. But where's the emotional attachment? The classic sports/muscle cars of the 50s and 60s were quick for their time, but they had a styling that evoked a positive emotional response even today and people had an emotional attachment to these cars. I'm 42 years old and see the quality of today's cars but I don't see the ones that evoke positive emotional response or emotional attachments like those of the 50s and 60s. They just seem soulless. Does anyone else feel this way or do you feel several models evoke such responses?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,280 times
Most will feel the same although the throwback cars will evoke nostalgia and stuff like Corvettes and exotics will always have something special to them. I'd give a nod to the CTS-V as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:28 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
I think there are plenty of evoking models out there, I think the key difference is that there's just more choice.

There are more cars to choose from in any category in production today, so the good ones might drown out a little for some. I also think nostalgia plays into it pretty heavily.

That said, it seems like you might be comparing the muscle and sports cars of times past with similar performing cars today, not similar segments. Compare 60s sports cars to 10s sports cars and it might seem brighter. They'll be a hell of a lot faster too!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Just because "regular" cars perform better today than in the past doesn't mean "regular car buyers" are somehow going to care more about them than they did in the past.

And there are plenty of people who have the emotional attachment. Just read any car forum (including this one) and you can clearly see that.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It seems today's cars are the fastest they've ever been. Super sport cars have exceeded 250 mph top speed, economy compact cars can reach 0-60 in 6 seconds (once a relm of actual sports cars a few decades ago), even subcompact economy cars have handling capabilities that were once in the relm of sports cars decades ago. Grocery family sedans are no longer the penalty box for those who enjoy driving fast. These V6 sedans also do 0-60 in about 6 seconds AND can handle the corners well like sports cars of the past. But where's the emotional attachment? The classic sports/muscle cars of the 50s and 60s were quick for their time, but they had a styling that evoked a positive emotional response even today and people had an emotional attachment to these cars. I'm 42 years old and see the quality of today's cars but I don't see the ones that evoke positive emotional response or emotional attachments like those of the 50s and 60s. They just seem soulless. Does anyone else feel this way or do you feel several models evoke such responses?

There have always been cars to appeal to the emotional side of the buyer. Compare a V6 Challenger vs. a striped Challenger R/T or SRT. The latter has the visual representation to pull to the buyer.
Same for Mustang---5.0 GT and Boss 302 and GT500
Same for Camaro---SS and ZL1
Same for Charger.---R/T and SRT8
Others??

Well, those are the cars I am familiar with. Have never been a non-performance care person and so cannot comment on the increase in "regular" car performance.

We are similar in age and I think it is a case of there being no novelty as we have done it all by our age if we have been into cars since our teens.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-01-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: typo on Boss 304

Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,280 times
There aren't more cars today. GM sells what 3 coupes and 2 convertibles, in 1970 there was probably 2 dozen. Plus you had all the other brands.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I think there are plenty of evoking models out there, I think the key difference is that there's just more choice.

There are more cars to choose from in any category in production today, so the good ones might drown out a little for some. I also think nostalgia plays into it pretty heavily.

That said, it seems like you might be comparing the muscle and sports cars of times past with similar performing cars today, not similar segments. Compare 60s sports cars to 10s sports cars and it might seem brighter. They'll be a hell of a lot faster too!
Agreed. Many more options, but OTOH many of those options are very generic and similar. Plus imports hold a much bigger market percentage than they did in the 50's and 60's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
There have always been cars to appeal to the emotional side of the buyer. Compare a V6 Challenger vs. a striped Challenger R/T or SRT. The latter has the visual representation to pull to the buyer.
Same for Mustang---5.0 GT and Boss 304 and GT500
Same for Camaro---SS and ZL1
Same for Charger.---R/T and SRT8
Others??

Well, those are the cars I am familiar with. Have never been a non-performance care person and so cannot comment on the increase in "regular" car performance.

We are similar in age and I think it is a case of there being no novelty as we have done it all by our age if we have been into cars since our teens.
Aaahhh...the very, very rare Boss 304. Owners of those are definitely emotionally attached to their vehicles.

Every time I look at my '05 GTO, I get a little excited. It's a topic of conversation anytime I'm around anything auto-related. I enjoy driving it, and take it out at least twice a week just to drive. Tonight I'm going to a local cruise-in, and tomorrow morning it's Cars and Coffee. So for me, I think it's every bit as exciting as musclecars were back in their day.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
I have an emotional attachment to my Mustang GT in the same was as my 65 El Camino, my 69 Judge, my 65 Z16, my 69 Roadrunner, my 87 Grand National.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Agreed. Many more options, but OTOH many of those options are very generic and similar. Plus imports hold a much bigger market percentage than they did in the 50's and 60's.
Aaahhh...the very, very rare Boss 304. Owners of those are definitely emotionally attached to their vehicles.

Every time I look at my '05 GTO, I get a little excited. It's a topic of conversation anytime I'm around anything auto-related. I enjoy driving it, and take it out at least twice a week just to drive. Tonight I'm going to a local cruise-in, and tomorrow morning it's Cars and Coffee. So for me, I think it's every bit as exciting as musclecars were back in their day.
Hehehe..Sorry. At work. Distracted. Should be working but it is a holiday weekend.

I have a 2004 GTO. I have owned since new and enjoy and maintain but emotional attachment? I just do not think in that manner. I still have an adrenalin rush at the track or on the rare ocassion I put some serious speed on in Mexico. I still engage in bragging rights type talk regarding cars with car folk. But I know the car could be stolen or wrecked and have a Plan B ready without any remorse/regrets.

I am considering a 5.0 so perhaps that colors my response.

Last edited by Felix C; 07-01-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM

780 posts, read 2,924,040 times
I believe it takes the niche-market cars to evoke emotions. I'm sorry but I won't gush over my Chevy Silverado no matter how useful it is; but then again I'm never really attached to any car. I take a good care of them, I modify them, I work on them myself (limited to small to medium jobs), but I have a principle that "everything is for sale for the right price".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.