Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times

Advertisements

A dying breed

10 fastest American cars - A dying breed (1) - CNNMoney

American, but not American made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 02:50 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,360 times
That article was amusing at best. The media and the tree huggers have been saying the end of performance cars is near for the last 20 yrs. I have a copy of Hot rod from the early 90's. On the cover was the ZR1 Vette. Caption said "last of it's kind and possibly the fastest vette to ever be produced". The artical went on the say how incresing emission requirements, fuel economy numbers etc etc were going to kill all future sports cars and if you wanted 400HP you better save your pennies because there will never be another 400HP car in America...

Now you need a calculator to figure out how many 400+HP cars are sold here. Cars will continue to get faster. Mileage will continue to get better, E emissions will continue to get lower. We will never see the step backward we did in the 70's. Small, slow cars don't sell for a reason.. No one wants them.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Apparently they mean highest top-end when they say fastest. I think top-end speed is basically useless as a discussion topic, since:

*It requires the absolute perfect storm of favorable conditions to reach that number.

*99% of the owners of those cars will never get within 40% of that number, for a variety of reasons. That's probably a good thing.

*There are few places where those speeds could be reached. Narrow that down to legal places, and the number shrinks considerably. That's definitely a good thing.

To me and most everyone I've discussed it with, acceleration to 60 MPH (no higher though, wouldn't want to condone breaking the law ) is far more important, because that can happen daily. Or hourly, depending on traffic. Any moron can stomp on the gas pedal and get an acceleration rush. I know this from personal experience.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
I suspect they'll just keep preaching the death of the performance car hoping one day they might be right, I don't see it happening.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:42 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
I don't think anyone buying these cars is particularly concerned about the gas mileage. Except maybe the Taurus/Lincoln thingie. How'd that get in there, anyway? Perfectly adequate power? Among the 10 fastest? What?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Apparently they mean highest top-end when they say fastest. I think top-end speed is basically useless as a discussion topic, since:

*It requires the absolute perfect storm of favorable conditions to reach that number.

*99% of the owners of those cars will never get within 40% of that number, for a variety of reasons. That's probably a good thing.

*There are few places where those speeds could be reached. Narrow that down to legal places, and the number shrinks considerably. That's definitely a good thing.

To me and most everyone I've discussed it with, acceleration to 60 MPH (no higher though, wouldn't want to condone breaking the law ) is far more important, because that can happen daily. Or hourly, depending on traffic. Any moron can stomp on the gas pedal and get an acceleration rush. I know this from personal experience.
Taking off fast is against the law.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
That article was amusing at best. The media and the tree huggers have been saying the end of performance cars is near for the last 20 yrs. I have a copy of Hot rod from the early 90's. On the cover was the ZR1 Vette. Caption said "last of it's kind and possibly the fastest vette to ever be produced". The artical went on the say how incresing emission requirements, fuel economy numbers etc etc were going to kill all future sports cars and if you wanted 400HP you better save your pennies because there will never be another 400HP car in America...

Now you need a calculator to figure out how many 400+HP cars are sold here. Cars will continue to get faster. Mileage will continue to get better, E emissions will continue to get lower. We will never see the step backward we did in the 70's. Small, slow cars don't sell for a reason.. No one wants them.

exactly.. That article is full is mistakes too..

Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Taking off fast is against the law.
I wasn't yet 20 years old when a buddy I was riding with was cited for "excessive acceleration". I wonder what reference is used to determine that.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM

273 posts, read 957,395 times
Seems to me there are as many or more 'fast' cars than ever.

While many of us dearly love the early supercars, today's cars, are often much more sophisticated and often outperform the oldies, especially when all aspects of performance and the ownership experience are considered.

Not that the end of the oldies is in sight... just recognition that modern cars have a lot to offer.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I wasn't yet 20 years old when a buddy I was riding with was cited for "excessive acceleration". I wonder what reference is used to determine that.
Hm. My car goes 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds...I jam on it now and then (when there are no other cars around)...I've done it IN FRONT OF a cop...don't know what could be more 'excessive' acceleration...never once been nailed.
I think that cops just pull you over for that when they feel you're being a dbag.
Don't know anyone who has been pulled over for this that wasn't a teenage boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive