Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American Muscle Cars, Which One Would You Choose?
Camaro 20 21.51%
Challanger 14 15.05%
Mustang 35 37.63%
Tough Choice 7 7.53%
I'll Stick With The Old Classics 9 9.68%
They're Nice, But Not Interested 8 8.60%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times

Advertisements

Umm I believe that we are talking the new 302 engine which are completely different then the Ford Mod motors..,Regardless what does size have to do with it?? Its weight. (all the mod motors are light) and room in the engine compartment.. Like I said before(which you rightly ignored) lets see who can change the plugs faster? You in an F body with an LS or me in a new Mustang with a 302? Its all all day affair in the F car and a 25 minute job in the 302. About the rpm and heat.... Think about it.. use your brain.. Do you see the Ford v8's all on the side of the road overheating from the excessive heat all the rpm has caused? Of course not. Mine does not run any warmer then your Camaro..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Here you go and from a Ford source.
Ford Modular V-8 Engines Part 2 - Fitment Issues - Mustang & Fords Magazine

I don't have to go far because I have both engines at the shop. DOHC Ford engine is as large as a Boss 429 big block. Depending on accessories, the DOHC Ford engine is approx 3 inches taller. Length with "Accessories" is close, The biggy in width with the Ford being a whopping "7 inches" wider at the valve covers.

"rpm does not create heat, friction and wear?" you say? Guess it just defies the laws of phyics then? Guess all of those Thermal Dynmics classes I took in college were wrong?

I'll debate you if you have something worthwhile to debate, but judging from the above statement your throwing things out there based on conjecture and not fact.

Since you won't believe me, go ahead and google it yourself. Type in "Rpm versus temperature in a Internal combustion engine". Then, go ahead and find actual dimensions of the LS1 and the Ford DOHC v8s and then you can debate me with actual facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM

31,015 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
That article refers to the 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors.Not the Coyote engine which is a smaller package. It is not a bored out 4.6.

Why is it the Chevy guys can never give Ford credit when they come out with something new that everybody agrees is a great product.

You will never hear me say that the SB Chevy was not a great engine.

As far as high rpm engines running hotter, why is that an issue? Plenty of high RPM engines go 100k without any problems.

Read this so you know what your talking about,

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords
Do I have to do it all? You guys are the Ford guys, I'm a former GM Engineer what do I know about Ford engines! You should be showing me the dimensions for the Coyote Engine. I even like the Coyote Engine! Apparently GM will only respond with a Challenge from Ford and the other way around, which we will all benefit from.

As far as giving credit where it is due to Ford: Originally I was hoping along with a lot of my Ford brethern for a Nascar derived OHV motor to take over where the 5.0 left off. Chevy already used Fords Symetrical Head/Intake arrangement and put them on their Nascar engines and then the LS1's.

Another side note for those who don't know: Take and LS1 head and drop in on your Ford 5.0 or 351 block and guess what, the bores and cylinder head bolt holes almost perfectly line up. Much closer than even a gen 1 sbc. The pushrod area is different though but it could be converted, but not worth it since Ford and the after market already have great flowing symetrical heads. Unfortunately, GM also adopted the crappy 4 bolt per cylinder design that Ford had to live with for years!

And to give Ford credit in another area it does have a higher specific output per cubic inch than the GM Engine. I like the Mustang, it's a lighter, more well balanced car than the heavy Camaro or even heavier Challenger. I like a pushrod engine pushing a heavy vehicle though. It is compact, good power/weight and is more affective if you want to put the most cubic inches in a compact package. Unfortunately, you can only do so much with a typical ICE design, whether it be DOHC or OHV.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-13-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The mileage on the base V8's isn't much different between them assuming what is listed is accurate. Listed as 15/24 on the Challenger and 17/26 on the Mustang.
The Mustang was a V6. Does the Challenger come in a V6?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The Mustang was a V6. Does the Challenger come in a V6?
Yes. Mileage for the V6 is 18/27 vs. 19/31 on the Mustang.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The mileage on the base V8's isn't much different between them assuming what is listed is accurate. Listed as 15/24 on the Challenger and 17/26 on the Mustang.
I'm pretty meticulous about calculating my mileage, as I drive more than most. My Challenger (09 R/T) gets an average of about 19 in the city. I drive it hard from time to time, but not excessively.

I DO have an MBRP exhaust and CAI. Made a slight difference in MPG, but not much. Was around 18.4 before.

It's a great daily driver.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
not sure the boss 302 version sells for 40K off the lot and should run with a Z06 on the track

YouTube - ‪Driven: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca‬‏
it is getting pretty close to nissian GT-R and porsche GT3 numbers on the track so not bad for a factory produced mustang you can buy off the showroom floor if you have $40K.
While the Boss 302 is a great deal and I really like them.....there are some big stretches in what is considered "close". It's 2 seconds slower to 100mph than the Z06....not to mention skidpad...braking etc etc.

Again, I love them and I think they match up nicely vs. a stock vette and then people can make a personal choice due to style etc.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
For the record, I love all 3. I would probably go with the Mustang GT.....but wow....tough choice all around I would have to do some test drivining.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Why is it the Chevy guys can never give Ford credit when they come out with something new that everybody agrees is a great product.
Hey now I'm a Chevy guy, I give Ford credit for their 9 inch rear ends and now I give them credit for the new 5.0 liter. if I weren't such a poor bastard I'd sell my Buick T type and go buy me a new 5.0 Mustang.

So i do give them credit. Even though I'm not too partial to how the rear end was redesigned for '10 they sorta fuglied it up IMO with the cut corner tail lamps. But still the package is phenominal.

I met a guy last weekend with a new Boss 302, he said they're only building 6k of them and he had to go to go 1000 miles to buy his, but it's a road race car from factory. It really got my attention.

Of course you know GM and Chrysler won't take this sitting down, soon they'll come up with something more powerful to rival the new 5.0 liter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive