Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM

76 posts, read 687,685 times

Advertisements

I went for an oil change with my mechanic and while he was doing it he told me the plug was hard to get out and back in.

I noticed that it developed a small drip from the plug and brought it back to my mechanic. He tightened it a bit more, but didn't want to over tighten it. It has a copper washer and is probably the original plug with the car. What needs to be done now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,988,037 times
Replace the plug (a few bucks), the copper gasket (ring, washer, whatever you want to call it), and have the threads in the pan rechased.

Being tight getting in and out sounds like it got cross-threaded.

You didn't happen to take it to a quickie-lube place the previous time, did you?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Replace the plug (a few bucks), the copper gasket (ring, washer, whatever you want to call it), and have the threads in the pan rechased.

Being tight getting in and out sounds like it got cross-threaded.

You didn't happen to take it to a quickie-lube place the previous time, did you?
I never take it to a quick lube place, I know better

The car is older, so I understand it may just be worn out.

Does retapping and replacing the washer and plug always work? I don't want to have to replace the whole oil pan for something so simple.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,145,741 times
They make a self taping drain plug which will often stug down and not leak when you have marred threads in the pan. If the leak isnt that bad first you may want to use a new plug gasket that is softer than the metal one and use Teflon tape on the threads. If it still has a drip maybe a used pan is the answer, If you are going to sell the car (maybe I shouldn't say it) but the leak can be stopped with dome good ole marine epoxy putty but I wouldn't want to be around when the next owner does his first oil change,,,lol

Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Wouldn't it work to insert a washer made of soft metal or synthetic material, to snug up the seal? If the rim of the bolt cap made a tight seal against the surface of the pan, aided by a soft washer, it wouldn't matter if any oil could work through the compromised threads, because you're closing the avenue of escape beyond the threads.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,145,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wouldn't it work to insert a washer made of soft metal or synthetic material, to snug up the seal? If the rim of the bolt cap made a tight seal against the surface of the pan, aided by a soft washer, it wouldn't matter if any oil could work through the compromised threads, because you're closing the avenue of escape beyond the threads.
Yes this may work and for sure it needs to be tried before anything else is done. .Along with a new washer the tape will help the worn thread get a better grip.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,354,285 times
Could be that the oil pan is warped, wouldn't be the first time someone's tightened the bolt too much and caused a leak.

A thicker/softer washer might work for that too though.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
You do not mention what kind of car this is. Volvos use a copper washer on the drain bolt and needs to be replaced on each oil change.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You do not mention what kind of car this is. Volvos use a copper washer on the drain bolt and needs to be replaced on each oil change.
It's a GM 3.8L V6

Old 05-26-2011, 07:37 PM

534 posts, read 2,409,701 times
On my car you are supposed to change that washer every oil change. No one does of course, but ive changed it out a couple of times.

DONT overtighten it instead of changing the washer out!!

Its a couple bucks at the dealer or a flaps, but you need to know roughly which size you need or maybe they can look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive