Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times

Advertisements

I know they make something you can hook up an mp3 player to your radio through the cassette player, but are those universal to all mp3 players and cassette players?

Also is there anything like that for plugging into cd players?

Do most aftermarket radios now come with a plugin for an mp3 player?

Where is the best place to get these plugins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I know they make something you can hook up an mp3 player to your radio through the cassette player, but are those universal to all mp3 players and cassette players?
Yes.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
If you're talking about the cassette ones, they're available everywhere. I'm not sure the quality varies much so just get one cheap.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
They also make a FM transmitter you plug into your mp3 player then set your radio to a dead station and it will play your music wirelessly. These do not have as good sound though as a straight connection.
I'd say only about 60% of cars today are made with the aux jack input. My Civic has it, but lots of makes and models still only come w/ CD player.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:

Often an aftermarket CD player will have auxiliary RCA stereo outputs on the back with which you can plug in an RCA to 3.5mm adapting cable.

If you dont have the auxiliary RCA outputs and really want to dig deep then after acquiring a schematic you can pop open the player and solder to the correct locations on the board. This is nice if you have a factory cassette player, you can use the stereo output pins for soldering to the 3.5mm cable, simply pop in a "dummy" tape and actually use the mp3 player with no quality loss.

The cassette adapters and FM transmitters are limited to medium quality audio. So it all depends on what you want.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Well I'd obviously like the best, but I'll think I'll try the adapter or fm transmitter. Are they both about the same or is the adapter a lot better? Also what is the distance on the transmitter?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Well I'd obviously like the best, but I'll think I'll try the adapter or fm transmitter. Are they both about the same or is the adapter a lot better? Also what is the distance on the transmitter?
The cassette adapter will give you roughly the quality of a cassette being played for the first time. As for the FM transmitter, of all the ones I have used they all required to be in a sweet spot for optimal quality. I'm sure the FCC has a specific regulation but according to wisegeek its about 30-75 feet:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-fm-transmitter.htm

Old 01-28-2011, 12:36 PM

So if you're in traffic other people might tune in to what you're listening to then

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So if you're in traffic other people might tune in to what you're listening to then
If they were manually tuning, sure, but they wouldn't know where it was coming from.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
If you buy the FM transmitter type - you will have wasted the cost of it. They have horrible sound. The best FM types actually are cabled in via the antenna cable. The ones that transmit over the air typically have low volume and terrible frequency response.

Go to the Crutchfield website, enter your vehicle data, and it will tell you what options you have.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:17 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,302 times
I've had the cassette adapter for a few years now. Love it. Tried the FM transmitter originally and hated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive