Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,509,681 times

Advertisements

I drove from Youngstown to Cincinnati in the daytime without one single car passing me. And, that same trip I made it from Boston (in front of Northeaster U) to Cincinnati in 11:15. Average speed 81 mph including sit down dinner at Arby's. That was a few years ago and I've slowed down a lot since. Now it would take me at least 12 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,413,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I drove from Youngstown to Cincinnati in the daytime without one single car passing me. And, that same trip I made it from Boston (in front of Northeaster U) to Cincinnati in 11:15. Average speed 81 mph including sit down dinner at Arby's. That was a few years ago and I've slowed down a lot since. Now it would take me at least 12 hours.
Were the police on strike that day. In order for you to average 81 MPH with a dinner stop, you must have been hitting 100mph much of the time.
I find that even the shortest pit stop 10 min. knocks the hell out of avg. speed.

Example, drive 100 miles in 1 hr equals 100 mph

But if you stop for dinner for 30 min now your average is 66 mph for the same 100mph 100 mile trip.

You must be one hell of a fast eater.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,509,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Were the police on strike that day. In order for you to average 81 MPH with a dinner stop, you must have been hitting 100mph much of the time.
I find that even the shortest pit stop 10 min. knocks the hell out of avg. speed.

Example, drive 100 miles in 1 hr equals 100 mph

But if you stop for dinner for 30 min now your average is 66 mph for the same 100mph 100 mile trip.

You must be one hell of a fast eater.
The only reason I stopped for dinner was that a Pennsylvania State Patrol made a U turn across I-80 and I discretely took the first exit and sat out for a few minutes - 10 minutes including the gas pump.

Yea, Pennsylvania is pretty barren to the west. Its like Appalachia without the mountains. Hilly is all. My MB 300TE is quite comfortable above 100mph and even feels quite safe at 120. I know in Germany they cruise that W124 vehicle at 140 but that is a bit too much for me. I-71 from Youngstown to Cincinnati is one of the fastest driven stretches of highway you will ever see. I bragged about not being passed on that trip but I can tell you I have been passed doing 100 on I-71. I guess that's why they have aircraft patrolling it.

Next trip will be in the new 560SEL. Has 42,000 miles is in perfect condition and has top speed of 156mph. At 100 you don't even have to turn the stereo up.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,157,182 times
Quote:
I am gradually changing my driving style from aggressive to totally defensive.
Since moving from NJ to NC I have noticed no matter what speed you are driving, lots of NC drivers tailgate but if you are doing 5 MPH over the limit they will not pass you, they just sit back there 20 ft from your bumper.
With so many addicted to texting I am afraid if I have to slow down for the occasional deer crossing I am going to get rear ended by one of those teenage or soccer mom tail gaters.

So I have decided it is better to be the following car instead of the leader ( nobody is giving points or cash for being the lead car).
So from now on I will continue my 5 MPH over the limit and as soon as I get a tailgater I will slow down as much as possible until they make the pass.

I can handle people flipping me the bird all day but what I can stand is to be rear ended.
You are now in NASCAR country, they are not tailgating, they are drafting you.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,993,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
^^You had beads and a vanity plate?
LOL, 'Ee's tawkin Dice n' beads, even saddle shoes. Do you even know what a pony skirt and saddle shoes are? I sure hope not! LOL

Them beads didn't mean what they do now either !

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,993,822 times
Wilson that's pretty fair. I got a Bro In Law that can run from Rochester Ny to my house in under 5.5 hours. That 501 miles serious ........ I don't know how he don't git busted.

Me from Pittsburg to here is 14+, because I get busted.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,687,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 mitch View Post
you are now in nascar country, they are not tailgating, they are drafting you. :d

lol!

Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,042,737 times
I have changed my driving style. I used to be a pretty laid back driver, passive. After doing a couple months of CDL driving, I came back home more impatient than ever. I'd say now I'm semi aggressive. I have a need for speed but I also have a CDL, so I don't over do it. Another thing that makes me a little more aggressive on the road is that I spend several hrs a day driving outside of work. I live 50(90 mins in rush hour) mins away from my work and I live in Atlanta. I have tons on my plate and drive all day which is usually revolving around work so yeah I'm not the same cool, calm, and collected driver like before....

Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM

78,604 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that we have to adjust to texting tailgaters?

I am not a slow driver I have a 600HP Mustang but I will not tolerate tailgaters.

I don't think driving 5 MPH over the limit is out of sync. Just pass me and don't tailgate that's all I want.
I hear you.

In the past year I've twice been hyper-tailgated (like within 5-6feet) by 20ish year old gals while behind other cars so I had nowhere to escape to....and driving my Z06. To say that really ticks me off is a gross understatement as there is really nothing I can even do defensively as I'm stuck in traffic.

We also have a 25mph zone near my house that is heavily speed trapped. I will go no more than 30 and occasionally have someone come flying up behind me and then tailgate the crap out of me but it's too hilly to really pass. One moron did this to me and sure enough there was the cop sitting there so I flipped off the person behind me and they backed wayyyy off knowing I'd just saved them from a LARGE ticked since they'd have been 20mph over the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive