Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,663 times

Advertisements

I was backing up from a campus parking stall when the front bumper of my car hit the rear door of a small sedan. I was going very slowly and heard a crunch sound. I took a look at the other car and some scratches on the door handle. However, it looked like an old car (probably around 10 years old) so they might have been on the car before I hit it.

I didn't leave a note because I was actually frightened and in a hurry. Anyway, I came back 30 minutes later thinking that I could look at the other car again and perhaps leave a note. However, the other car was gone. Also, we can park anywhere in the parking lot and someone else had already parked where my car used to be.

Also, my car had no signs of damage except for some streaks of dust.

What should I do now? I should've left a note, but it's too late now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
You can go and turn yourself in to the police for a hit and run or you can just forget it...You pick which one...

Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Since you asked "What do I do now?", I'll tell you one thing you could do in the future.

Do the right thing. I notice your status as of Nov. 25 says "Trying to live a happy life". You'll live a much happier life when you do things you can be proud of and know in your heart that you did the right thing.

This wasn't your proudest moment. Learn from it, suck it up and do the right thing in the future even when you know you'll have some negative consequences from it. At least that way, you can look at yourself in the mirror. I don't know if you have kids or not, but is crunching a car in the parking lot and then running something you want to tell them about?

Good luck in the future with that. Sincerely.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:44 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
Okay.... You pulled a spineless bonehead maneuver by not leaving your contact info & personally I think you should be forced to forfeit your own car for a month as punishment. But realistically, if it's a college campus lot all the kids are doing the same exact thing.

By the end of my 4 yrs my poor Celica was riddled with dings & scrape marks from inconsiderate tools who don't just didn't care. I've had friends with their side mirrors knocked off, headlights bashed, front aprons torn off... all without a single solitary note. Parking in & around a major university is like a war zone, and most ppl grudgingly accept the fact that their cars won't escape unscathed.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
People are dinging my car all the time. It has dents and scratches all over the place. I didn't put them there. At least, not all of them. I bet if you had walked around it, you'd have found several more dings, cracked lenses, scuffed bumpers. People who are emotionally healthy can live with the natural hazards of taking their car out of the garage. Not a big deal. Anybody who demands that his ten-year old car have an absolutely perfect and blemish-free car-show finish, has already paid to repair his own nicks a hundred times, and considers it the cost of his pathological anality.

To the holier than thou who responded. If the wind blows your shopping cart into the side of somebody else's car, do you leave a note and let your insurance company pay 3 or 4 thousand dollars to buff it out, and raise your rate a thousand dollars a year for the next 20 years?

I would never demand a pound of flesh from another driver who accidentally rubbed my paint, and I expect other civilized people to behave the same way. Learn to live in a society where people in crowded places bump into each other, and then you can sleep nights.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
I survived 5 years of parking on college campus without a single ding or scratch. I don't have an opinion on the OP's actions simply because it is something that is EXPECTED on a campus and it's every man for them self. College kids are typically stupid, selfish little snots who suck at driving and campus parking is something that requires adjusting to. I took precautions such as parking in the farthest corner of lots at the end of rows hugging the very end so if there would be 6'-8' between me and the nearest car. It meant a lot of extra walking but that hardly bothered me. I do this everywhere but especially on campuses!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:18 PM

362 posts, read 392,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I didn't leave a note because I was actually frightened and in a hurry.
What should I do now? I should've left a note, but it's too late now.
If you're going to hit and run, don't add to the stupidity by asking people on CD what the diff is between right and wrong. Just go with the first impulse you had and live with your guilt.

What were you freightened of, owning up to your mistake and paying for it..? God forbid.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
What should I do now?
Nothing. Just remember this incident when you find someone has done the same thing to you.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Hopefully, someone witnessed it and has already turned in your license #. "In a hurry" is no excuse. Next time take some responsibility for your own actions.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:11 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,363 times
Report yourself to campus PD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive