Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,216,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I take it you are from BC and have these coverages?
No, but I go there often on business and drive there frequently and have for about 40 years now.

You?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,548,823 times
For those who are unfamilar with "no fault" coverage, this is where your own insurance company pays for damage to your own car. The other driver who caused the accident does not pay and his company does not pay. If coverages are inadequate, in some no fault provinces maybe including BC, maybe not, a person can sue for personal injuries not fully compensated by one/s own company.

A deductible might be a claim that could be pursued. Definitely not in Quebec with which I am familiar, probably not in BC, but in any event, who would ever sue for the deductible. 99% of all accidents in Quebec the parties shake hands, go on their way and their own company takes care of the damage.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,937,874 times
To respond to some of the comments a page or so back...

A momentary lapse in judgment made under duress does not automatically make a person irresponsible, immoral, selfish, lacking in values, or any of the other adjectives people have been throwing around. Our occasional lapses in judgment don't define our character; if they did, there wouldn't be a single respected person in this world.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,896,149 times
[quote=jtur88;16781331]People are dinging my car all the time. It has dents and scratches all over the place. I didn't put them there. At least, not all of them. I bet if you had walked around it, you'd have found several more dings, cracked lenses, scuffed bumpers. People who are emotionally healthy can live with the natural hazards of taking their car out of the garage. Not a big deal. Anybody who demands that his ten-year old car have an absolutely perfect and blemish-free car-show finish, has already paid to repair his own nicks a hundred times, and considers it the cost of his pathological anality.. . .
If you honestly think you did not do any damage to the car leave a note with your name and phone number on it and ask the car owner to call you. You don't need to mention anything about hitting his car on the note. When he/she calls you tell them that you thought you saw a car touch his in the parking lot (that is the truth right?). If he says there actually was damage to his car then you can exchange insurance information etc. Most states require reporting an accident to the state if there are injuries and in my state over $500 damage. However even under that $500 limit a note should be left so information can be exchanged or it is hit and run.

GL2

Old 11-30-2010, 09:52 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,994,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
To respond to some of the comments a page or so back...

A momentary lapse in judgment made under duress does not automatically make a person irresponsible, immoral, selfish, lacking in values, or any of the other adjectives people have been throwing around. Our occasional lapses in judgment don't define our character; if they did, there wouldn't be a single respected person in this world.
Those lapses in judgment actually do define who you really are. It's under those circumstances that your real character shines through....good or bad.

In many circumstances, you have only one shot at doing the right thing...as the OP learned here.

You mention "under duress"?? What duress? You damaged someone's property. Believe me there are far more serious things in life that will really put you under duress.....this isn't one of them. It's really simple in such a case to simply do the right thing and leave a note. Any duress involved in this instance is brought on by yourself. When you do the right thing, you can always feel good about yourself.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,810,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
That's NOT what the local Police here in our town said, when my husband caught a woman leaving the scene after she hit his truck. We actually saw it happen from a Starbucks within a Target. He went running out and caught her....Bashed in the fender pretty good...$1500 worth of damage....She didn't "think" she had done any damage either
Cop was right in the vicinity and was there in minutes....He ticketed her, but not sure what for...since she never actually got to leave...We were not privvy to that info. So that's another excuse the OP can flush.
Prime example of being in the right place at the right time and have the police nearby

Obviously this lady is RELATED * sarcasm * to the person who hit my car , drove off and got away with it. Except she didn't.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,503,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Prime example of being in the right place at the right time and have the police nearby

Obviously this lady is RELATED * sarcasm * to the person who hit my car , drove off and got away with it. Except she didn't.
What was so funny...is she was so indignant about the whole idea that WE thought she had hit he truck. I was calling the police, while hubby was running out to the truck and her Suburban. I came along after getting off the phone calling the police and with our purchased stuff....She was saying no way it was her....Hmmmmm ....our color paint on her white SUV...and white on our truck...lines up perfectly....Yet SHE DID NOT HIT us....and that she would certainly had left a note had she hit us. It was bizarre , at the very least, to watch this woman lie through her teeth. AND, with a 10-11 yr old little girl with her. Little girl looked very uncomfortable...and woman was even more uncomfortable when the Officer wanted to speak the her!
Great values being instilled here! Mom did it, so can I! Except Mom didn't get away with it this time!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,912,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

^^ Why the colors?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,155,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
What was so funny...is she was so indignant about the whole idea that WE thought she had hit he truck. I was calling the police, while hubby was running out to the truck and her Suburban. I came along after getting off the phone calling the police and with our purchased stuff....She was saying no way it was her....Hmmmmm ....our color paint on her white SUV...and white on our truck...lines up perfectly....Yet SHE DID NOT HIT us....and that she would certainly had left a note had she hit us. It was bizarre , at the very least, to watch this woman lie through her teeth. AND, with a 10-11 yr old little girl with her. Little girl looked very uncomfortable...and woman was even more uncomfortable when the Officer wanted to speak the her!
Great values being instilled here! Mom did it, so can I! Except Mom didn't get away with it this time!
Was this my brother in law?
He's 29 years old but he's mentally not all there (he has an IQ of a 17 year old which mental health testing has confirmed) and he would definitely pull something like this. He did with my husband: took his car, got in a wreck and what not. He's been to counseling and doesn't have the mental capacity to understand what he's done wrong (it's some kind of mental disorder not sure what it is but know that he goes to the local mental health services center to see a counselor, doc, etc.). He's been given a driver's license because he's able to pass the driving test but I have no idea why he still has one!
PS Yes, the hubby was fuming mad and kinda talks to him still but keeps him at arms length.
There are some questionable drivers out there that don't have all their marbles! Who knows the lady you encountered may have been mentally not there and unfortunately child in tow. My mother in law is also mentally disabled (worse than my brother in law so she gets disability) but she has custody of her 15 year niece since she was days old! I shake my head. My husband is very smart, close to genius levels so he missed the genetic trait I suppose.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,937,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Those lapses in judgment actually do define who you really are. It's under those circumstances that your real character shines through....good or bad.
I guess that's a matter of opinion. Because I'm sure that even the most respected people in the world (Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, whoever..) have had dishonorable moments. Everyone has had dishonorable moments. If we definite people by their lapses in judgment, then like I said, there isn't a single decent person in this world, because everyone has made bad choices. But I choose to think that there's more to a person than the mistakes they've made.

I don't know. Maybe you were perfect as a teenager/college student. Because I don't know anyone else at that age who makes the right decision 100% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive