Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

Since there are a few threads on classic American tanks going on, I thought it was about time to look at a few of the fun cars from the land of the Rising Sun that got a lot of us involved in sport compacts back in the '70s and '80s.

Mind you, I grew up on American hot rods and customs and European sports cars, but in the '70s, I started adding some fun little cars from the East to my list of favorites. My best friend in high school wnet from a built up Dodge Coronet to a litle Mazda RX3 sedan. After having a big block Torino GT and a '70 Mustang fastback race car, I followed suit with a '73 Mazda RX3 coupe, and caught on to the joys of the 12A rotary engine: smooth power delivery, insane rpms, and ease of modding/rebuilding:

That little car was so much fun, and surprised so many musclecar owners (back then, the average musclecar on the streets was a jacked up Camaro or Nova, or a relatively tame Chevelle or Mustang).

But there were a number of other ones running around the NW that friends were having fun with, and now are sought after.

Mazdas:

R100:

One of the first rotary powered mazdas, they nromally came witha 10a 1 liter rotary, but so many go swapped to 12As and 13Bs. They tended to only weigh about 1500 lbs so they could really fly.

RX2:

A number of ffrinds had the RX2s, some for autocross, some for rally. Stock with the 12A, but again, easily upgraded. One friend had a peripheral port 13B in his RX2. Very fast, but it was good he worked at a gas station, as it got like 4 mpg.

RX3:

The Savanah RX3 was, and still is, very popular in Australia and Puerto Rico. My personal favorite of the early Mazdas, and I've had a couple of them. So easy to make fast, these cars became the RX7 (in Japan, they had the same name, Savanah). My buddy's car, that got me into them, was a white version of the green sedan pictured...

Just before the RX7 was released, Mazda released a limited editon RX3, the SP, that is sought after by collectors today:

RX4:

Bigger and heavier than the RX2 or RX3, the RX4 was the last of the Mazda rotary cars to be available in coupe, sedan and station wagon form (all the others mentioned so far were available in all three body styles), at least in the US. After this, all we got was the Cosmo and RX7 (and now RX8). the earlier RX4s pictured were very much in the style of American musclecars, while the later ones got rather, bland...

[img]http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/mazdarx4_06.jpg/img]

Honda S500/S600/S800:

http://www.gassmanautomotive.com/getimage.php?type=2&name=i-758.JPG (broken link)

Honda's first street car, and the first car brought to the US, was this traditional RWD sports car, following up their Formula one program. Motorsports was Sochiro Honda's hobby, though he wasn't very good as a race driver, as he found out racing a 1932 Ford back in Japan in his youth). But his passion for efficiency in motorsports drove so many of the cars while he was in charge of his company.

N600/600Z:

Following in the footsteps of the original Austin Mini, the N600/Z600 was what put Honda on the automotive map in the US (the S500/S600/S800 sports car was too niche market). I'd still love the Z600 coupe, breathed on with a modern Honda 4 cyl.

Civic 1200 S:

No, not the CVCC version, the EB1-EB3 powered 1200cc ones were actually better suited to racing. I had one, my sister has two right now (including her old race car). Well under 200 lbs, nimble and fun. Sure shows how much the Civic has grown, that the new Fit, which is smaller than the new Civic, is stil much larger than the original Civic. This is another one I'd like to find, but they are only really on the west coast anymore.

Toyota 2000 GT:

The car that really served notice that the Japanese were going tobe serious about building cars in the '60s. The bottom one was one of a pair campaigned by Shelby. Absolutely stunnig cars, though rare. And yes, james Bond drove a custom convertible one.

S800:

The 2000 GT's little brother, it was also pretty rare in the US. A firend of mine used to autocross one in the late '70s. Such a tiny little car.

Corolla SR5:

The first real sporting Corolla in the '70s. A lot of SCCA guys I knew raced these. Competed with the RX3, but not as fast. Back when economy cars were still RWD and you could easily make a truly sporting version. The later AE86 RWD GTS would go on to much fame in the '80s, before RWD Corollas were gone for good.

Along the lines of the SR5 was the early Celica:

[img]

Probably my favorite '70s Toyota, though I never had the opporunity to own one. Highly sought after today.

Datsun 1600/2000 Fairlady:

[img]http://www.automotiveforums.com/jacob/cow/cow4/Datsun1.jpg/img]

The Japanese MGB. A lot of friends had these growing up. Fun little cars without many of the worries of a real British roadster.

Datsun 240Z:

\

Even though the Toyota 2000 GT showed the Japanese were capable of building a world class GT, the 240Z showed they could do it at a price everyone could afford. I've had two of these (well, one was a 260Z). Great cars to drive when in good condition. Again, easy to find on teh west coast, but most have all rusted away out here on the east coast (though I saw a really nice white one a couple nights ago)

Datsun 510:

http://www.geforce3d.net/Gallery/d/1907-1/datsun510.jpg (broken link)

The Dime is another of my favorites, and one of the few smaller cars where the wagon was as much in demand for modding as the coupes and sedans. These were all over where I was growing up, and a lot of fun to drive with very little work. Also one of the few early small sedans/coupes with true IRS, sort of a Japanese BMW 1602/2002.

A lot of early Japanese cars that weren't available in the US have now made their way across the ocean, since they are now old enough to be legally imported. They've got a lot more popular as of late and are starting to command fairly high prices. Sometimes I wish I still had a few of the older Japanese sport coupes I owned.... Go ahead and post up ones you remember from the '60s and '70s...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
The older Japanese coupes were fantastic cars. Love to see them.. Great pics.. I remember that old RX3-sp magazine ad too. Awesome

Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
I love those 1st-gen Celicas. Muscle car styling in a trim, tidier, and more nimble package.

Anyone happen to catch the episode of Mad Men where they were courting Honda as a client in 1965? Conversation about the S500 roadster:
Bert Cooper: "its engine turns 9500 rpms, but it only makes 57 horsepower"
Don Draper: "...wait, what?"
Bert Cooper: "it's basically a motorcycle with doors"

my early memories were more of the wedgy turbo fastbacks of the 1980's:

and of course...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Going fast isn't the only sport! My favorite Japanese classics:

Old 11-24-2010, 03:26 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,136,769 times
I'm definitely an American car guy, but I've gave across a few Euro and Japa cars I considered buying at least for flipping.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
I'm definitely an American car guy, but I've gave across a few Euro and Japa cars I considered buying at least for flipping.
You should try them out for fun, not flipping, and learn what makes them interesting in their own right. That's why I've had a mix of American, Japanese, and European cars.

Last edited by Merc63; 11-24-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Merc

Back in 1967 I had a MG Midget that was a lotta fun, but I traded it for a Datsun 510 that was so much more fun and more reliable.

The Fair Lady brings back a strange remembrance. My FIL traded his Pontiac GP for one and had a Fiberglas top put on it..

He used it to haul a flat bottomed boat with a 455 Olds in it from So CA to Lake Mead in NV until the firewall rusted our from dunking it in the water too many times. It was funny seeing that car hauling that boat up Baker grade. Great times.

My brother and FIL has some of the first 240Z's imported to the US, both of them were red.

Thanks for starting this thread,

Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 PM

136 posts, read 481,081 times
I have a 71 Datsun1200 sedan I am restoring I hope to post a pix soon

Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
My first Japanese car was a 71 Corolla with 12" wheels painted road stripe yellow, complete with 1200 cc whopper engine. Great little car - even after my 67 (book em Danno) Monterey with a 390. Sold that one to my mom as she liked her convertibles. My first new car was a 74 Corolla S-5. Just a smidge below the SR at $3000. I could have had the SR but didn't like the looks of the bolted-on fender flares, though that black one above looks damn nice. Mine got accordioned 3 years and 100k later. I got a check for $2925.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 PM

137 posts, read 312,096 times
I have a CELICA.Its so cool.She is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive