Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:36 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,765 times

Advertisements

As I'm researching SUVs, I ran across a forum of Xterra owners Xterra Firma | ...the evolution and travels of the Nissan Xterra who have referenced an article which predicts a combo of very low sales & the 2011 federal fuel economy regs are reasons the 2011 Xterras may be the last on the market.

The full article:
Nissan Xterra To Meet Its Demise? | Xterra Firma

Part of the regulations reference "A gas guzzler tax is imposed on manufacturers of new cars (not minivans, sport utility vehicles or pick-up trucks) that do not meet required fuel economy levels, to discourage the production and purchase of fuel-inefficient vehicles. The tax is collected by the Internal Revenue Service and paid by the manufacturer. The amount of the tax is displayed on the vehicle’s fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars)."

The regulations:
Regulations & Standards | Fuel Economy | US EPA

They seem to exclude Xterra, because it's an SUV. What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
SUVs, and light trucks were excluded from GGT, way back when...
GL, mD

Old 11-06-2010, 10:17 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,531 times
I believe in a few years, the mpg requirements apply to all vehicles,suv's,cars,pickups,etc. Many car/suv/trucks are not being redesigned to try and meet these bogusly ultra high mpg requirements. Spending $900 million+ on a redo of a short lived vehicle line is not money wise going to pay off for the companies.
One of my reasons I think the government needs to get out of mpg mandates. Ban the epa and see the new vehicles,keep the waste of taxpayer money epa and see the demise of car companies.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
We are likely to see increased gas guzzler taxes on all new SUV's soon.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I guess eventually, all cost increases filter down to owners. I just found it startling for the article to suggest it would be 1 of 2 reasons they'll stop making the X & was simultaneously wondering if SUV owners might be forced to make expensive modifications to their vehicles down the line to keep them on the road? Which... got me to thinking, perhaps I should steer clear of SUVs all together... although I sure appreciate & will use the cargo space as well as the higher ride for comfort & visibility. Also, don't wish to be stuck in someone's dad's station wagon.

I see they've recently recalled over 1M Nissan's worldwide, too... great. Although best to find out all this nonsense prior to a purchase rather than glaring at the monster through the window each morning while making coffee & wishing it ill.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
With so many great looking station wagons out there though, I don't fully understand the appeal of SUVs.

With a station wagon, you get a better ride (lower center of gravity), better fuel economy, better handling (less weight), often cheaper to buy and many a time... better design.

I certainly wouldn't discount one on the basis of not "wishing to be stuck in someones dads station wagon"

Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
I just bought a Dodge 2500 4x4, quad cab, long box 6.7L diesel and I didn't pay a guzzler tax.

The epa regs actually caused a drop in mpg.
Now instead of getting 20'smpg for millage you get teens.
hip hip hury for the epa. (sarcasm )

Old 11-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I certainly wouldn't discount one on the basis of not "wishing to be stuck in someones dads station wagon"
Hi Viking... Everything I say is fairly tongue in cheek, but yes, I haven't checked into wagons because I still think of them as a 2 parents 4 kids with dog car. If they're designed well as of late, I may have seen one pass me & didn't readily out it as a wagon. In fact, some of the crossovers really look like wagons to me... being honest, the crossovers I don't like, meaning visually.

In the past, I've always bought sub-compacts with price being in the forefront. Believe me, you don't feel thrilled about your brand spanking new Yugo when driving it. (Note: I was one of the few with a very reliable Yugo... & although I could park anywhere in the inner city & got ridiculously good mileage, that was one brutal looking car). For once, I wanted to buy a car that I really like, fully prepared to pay extra because it's pretty. I have the cash for it & do plan to keep it 'til it needs burial at sea. Mostly, I do need a larger vehicle as I want/will use the cargo space.

I'll look into some of the wagons, at your suggestion, but I'm thinking wagons probably still look like wagons. I'm inner city still, probably always be, so discounted them based on the outrageous length I remember them as having in the 70's.

Thanks for replying.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:33 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,339,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hi Viking... Everything I say is fairly tongue in cheek, but yes, I haven't checked into wagons because I still think of them as a 2 parents 4 kids with dog car. If they're designed well as of late, I may have seen one pass me & didn't readily out it as a wagon. In fact, some of the crossovers really look like wagons to me... being honest, the crossovers I don't like, meaning visually.

In the past, I've always bought sub-compacts with price being in the forefront. Believe me, you don't feel thrilled about your brand spanking new Yugo when driving it. (Note: I was one of the few with a very reliable Yugo... & although I could park anywhere in the inner city & got ridiculously good mileage, that was one brutal looking car). For once, I wanted to buy a car that I really like, fully prepared to pay extra because it's pretty. I have the cash for it & do plan to keep it 'til it needs burial at sea. Mostly, I do need a larger vehicle as I want/will use the cargo space.

I'll look into some of the wagons, at your suggestion, but I'm thinking wagons probably still look like wagons. I'm inner city still, probably always be, so discounted them based on the outrageous length I remember them as having in the 70's.

Thanks for replying.
http://www.fixcom.de/BMW_335i/BMW_335iT_2008_10.jpg

http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/ne...per_12_big.jpg

Both of these, to me, are good example of great Estates that looks fantastic, really mean and really sleek. Order them with the M sport package (like anyone should) and they'll rock your socks off.

Just an example, the Audi A3 Sportback ain't bad either.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I just bought a Dodge 2500 4x4, quad cab, long box 6.7L diesel and I didn't pay a guzzler tax.

The epa regs actually caused a drop in mpg.
Now instead of getting 20'smpg for millage you get teens.
hip hip hury for the epa. (sarcasm )
Yes you do pay that tax every time you add fuel. I don't know where all that fuel is used and or where it goes, but it is the first off the refiners before they can make gasoline.

I feel that tax every time I fuel up the truck that has that same engine. Ouch fer me and ouch fer you too.

The EPA has no idea what they demand. They appear to have this wild idea vehicals can run on air alone, and pay no attention to Newton.

With gasoline at 3 bucks a gallon in the real world diesel should be $1.50.

The feds ruined common K-1 with that dammed to hell red powder dye. That stuff should be illegal.

Ethenol is simply a filler and the Feds are talking about making it 15%. Good luck with that. It will kill every single engine out there, from chain saw and outboards to gasoline cars and motorcycles.

As it is the 10% is just a filler and for it we loose MPG's, plus suck up water in not filled gas tanks.

Total scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive