Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,365,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Both of these, to me, are good example of great Estates that looks fantastic, really mean and really sleek. Order them with the M sport package (like anyone should) and they'll rock your socks off.

Just an example, the Audi A3 Sportback ain't bad either.
Okay, Viking I tried, but, you've lost me, sorry... to each his own, but all 3 of those are hideous (a station wagon is still someone's dad's car in my eyes). We'll have to agree to disagree.

And, I'm looking in the under $25K range as I'll pay cash... unless I go with used/low mileage/more upscale/still warrantied. I can't part with $25K & hate getting into my car each morning... believe me, I've always done that... bought for practicality & the cheapest new car avaliable. This should be my last 1-2 cars during my working days, so I'd like something I enjoy. It's like buying $1K sensible brown tie shoes with orthopedic soles... sure they're reliable & comfortable... but if I want unattractive brown flats (& I don't), I'll get them for $10 at the Dollar Store.

There's always the Cube or Honda Element if I want to go with the reliable, sensible, practical car... particularly the Cube's price is attractive at under $15K. But, everytime I see one or the other drive 'round the corner, I think breadbox on wheels or hearse.

I'll keep mulling it over. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,646,830 times
Quote:

I certainly wouldn't discount one on the basis of not "wishing to be stuck in someones dads station wagon"
I don't see that many people my parent's age with station wagons. To me, people my parent's age have lots of SUVs. Whose parents had station wagons?! They're kinda rare, so I think they're quirky looking. And the BMW photos are super elegant looking to me. SUVs are kinda brutish.

When I hear station wagons, I think of the Jetta wagon or an old Focus wagon. Or Subarus.

Last edited by nei; 11-07-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,375,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't see that many people my parent's age with station wagons. To me, people my parent's age have lots of SUVs. Whose parents had station wagons?! They're kinda rare, so I think they're quirky looking. And the BMW photos are super elegant looking to me. SUVs are kinda brutish.

When I hear station wagons, I think of the Jetta wagon or an old Focus wagon. Or Subarus.
With the M package, the BMW estates are glorious.

And interestingly enough, the Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX STi's can look extremely tough. I don't think that's what the OP wants though.

To the OP: Just making suggestions, make sure you buy a car *you* want, not just something someone else recommend.

If you're not hellbent on buying new, there should also be ample opportunity to buy in the premium (BMW, Lexus, Audi, Merc etc.) segment for $25k, with low miles and still warranty.

I've found BMW 328i's (230hp, 3.0L straight 6, pulls very smoothly) with 20-30k miles for as little as $19k. If you're into getting something more "luxurious" it might be worth a gander.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,365,584 times
Quote:
Just making suggestions, make sure you buy a car *you* want, not just something someone else recommend.
I understand, Viking, thank you. I'd always make my own decision on a car & I overstate things in posts for humor's sake only. Test driving for fit & feel are important, too... I just like to solicit opinions. Someone may mention something I hadn't heard of or wouldn't otherwise be aware of or have a helpful link I can utilize.

Speaking to that, a friend has 4 older brothers who live near her. I asked why she doesn't bring at least one of them along when buying a car & she said if she initiates a conversation regarding the best car, the brothers argue for an hour, she leaves the room, returns in another hour & they're still disagreeing on which is the best. I know the same will happen here... that's okay, I'll listen to everyone, check it out & decide for myself.

Quote:
If you're not hellbent on buying new, there should also be ample opportunity to buy in the premium (BMW, Lexus, Audi, Merc etc.) segment for $25k, with low miles and still warranty.

I've found BMW 328i's (230hp, 3.0L straight 6, pulls very smoothly) with 20-30k miles for as little as $19k. If you're into getting something more "luxurious" it might be worth a gander.
I did think of this & have had good luck with a used car only once when I had a knowedgeable boyfriend around who could put it up on the lift at the dealership, point out things which should be repaired and/or lower price, do hardcore, take no prisoners negotiations & then I've purchased. Since I'm doing this on my own, my knowledge of cars is what I read/research & based on the experience I've had with far too many lemons I've had the displeasure of owning.

I hate the whole process, really. I'd rather go to the dentist. That being said, I really do appreciate all the input here, really.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,331,560 times
Quote:
With so many great looking station wagons out there though, I don't fully understand the appeal of SUVs.

With a station wagon, you get a better ride (lower center of gravity), better fuel economy, better handling (less weight), often cheaper to buy and many a time... better design.
For you, maybe, but not for a lot of people. I like station wagons, especially classic ones. But the fact is, station wagons are lower (harder to get in out of as you get older), and while they may have similar volume in the rear, the way that volume is arranged can be very different. I like the vertical height of the inside of a good SUV. And when sitting in one, you have a better, more vertical posture, which can be important. Of course, true BOF SUVs can tow a lot more than wagons, as well (though I know the European argument that all sorts of cars tow caravans over there, you're still dangerously overloading the brakes and suspensions of mere cars by towing something that doubles or more the total mass, and don't you guys complain about how slow caravans are when they are in front of you?).

I've had station wagons, and I've had proper SUVs. The SUVs are more useful in more situations. Real trucks are even more useful, which is why I'm replacing my last Range Rover with a diesel pickup: more towing capacity and carrying capacity:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive