Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,237,323 times

Advertisements

Honestly man, go with the mustang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,902,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
So your buddy's car ran faster than every road tested '11 convertible GT I can find, and most GT coupes? That is some serious factory freak he's got.

Amazing.

actually, the lighter coupe automatics are running a tenth faster..

Heres one that ran an 11.9 with a cold air intake, exhaust. 4.10 gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCTRpbz57A

Old 10-14-2010, 10:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,253,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I think you missed my point. Your buddy's car is supposedly faster than every GT vert I can find that's been tested by either a pro driver or a major magazine writer who's job is to evaluate cars. And it's also faster than many of the faster GT coupes I've seen tested. I've been interested in the GT as a replacement for my GTO, so I've been keeping up with it.

Again, that's an amazing factory freak he has.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Heres one that ran an 11.9 with a cold air intake, exhaust. 4.10 gears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCTRpbz57A

Sure, and there are much faster cars that aren't stock either.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I think you missed my point. Your buddy's car is supposedly faster than every GT vert I can find that's been tested by either a pro driver or a major magazine writer who's job is to evaluate cars. And it's also faster than many of the faster GT coupes I've seen tested. I've been interested in the GT as a replacement for my GTO, so I've been keeping up with it.

Again, that's an amazing factory freak he has.
like I said... His is quick but about average what they are running in the real world with seasoned drivers..

Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Sure, and there are much faster cars that aren't stock either.
a tune, exhaust and cai wit dr's would be considered stock by many. All bolt ons no motor or suspension work.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
a tune, exhaust and cai wit dr's would be considered stock by many. All bolt ons no motor or suspension work.
A blower is a bolt-on. Nitrous is a bolt-on. SO does that mean I can run in the stock class with a blower and nitrous? No. Stock means stock. There is a class for amateur drag racers for bolt-ons that is different than stock, because once you've bolted something on, it's not stock.

It's really a simple definition.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,157,182 times
Getting back to the 89, my point in suggesting a crate engine was to save *time*, not money. I don't know how optimal your existing FI setup is but I would think it's usable, you would probably not be the first guy to do this swap so the info is no doubt out there.

I got the impression that you were more in a pinch for time and working space than money - but you are right the crate engines cost roughly what it would cost you to build them, not much more, in some cases less than you would pay for similar components to build.

I see buying a new 'stang as almost independent of fixing the 89. If you want a new stang and have the $, get one. But you will still own the 89, it's still a very minty car needing an engine, to get a reasonable price for it you still have to put an engine in it, probably the cheapest you can do is a junkyard same-year same model engine assuming you can find one.

But the work to swap in another engine or pull and re-install the existing one is pretty much the same, and you are pretty much on the hook to do it or pay somebody to do it. IMHO anyway.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:26 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,266,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Getting back to the 89, my point in suggesting a crate engine was to save *time*, not money. I don't know how optimal your existing FI setup is but I would think it's usable, you would probably not be the first guy to do this swap so the info is no doubt out there.

I got the impression that you were more in a pinch for time and working space than money - but you are right the crate engines cost roughly what it would cost you to build them, not much more, in some cases less than you would pay for similar components to build.

I see buying a new 'stang as almost independent of fixing the 89. If you want a new stang and have the $, get one. But you will still own the 89, it's still a very minty car needing an engine, to get a reasonable price for it you still have to put an engine in it, probably the cheapest you can do is a junkyard same-year same model engine assuming you can find one.

But the work to swap in another engine or pull and re-install the existing one is pretty much the same, and you are pretty much on the hook to do it or pay somebody to do it. IMHO anyway.
everything i read here is correct.

rebuilding is slightly more expensive than a crate (probably), but when rebuilding, i can (1) retain the original motor in this mint car, and (2) customize or optimize the heads, cam, and other parts.

and keeping the '89 and getting a new Mustang is not really an option. not one that i want to explore anyway.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
A blower is a bolt-on. Nitrous is a bolt-on. SO does that mean I can run in the stock class with a blower and nitrous? No. Stock means stock. There is a class for amateur drag racers for bolt-ons that is different than stock, because once you've bolted something on, it's not stock.

It's really a simple definition.
there is no such class you speak of in drag racing.. In the real world of real racers.. Bolt on would most certainly NOT include a blower.. use your head.. Blower is a major (thousands$$) modification and a tune is 10 minutes and a few hundred .. Not the same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive